Stiff mouth and wonky bottom lip after sliding genioplasty?

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Mariella123

Re: Stiff mouth and wonky bottom lip after sliding genioplasty?

#16 Post by Mariella123 »

Thats what they say but sorry to be negative, I doubt it.
I had surgery 18months ago and needed revision after 12 months, the problem was there before and still is. I am thinking about reversing the surgery because my chin looks so awkwardly long and my lower teeth are showing when I'm talking. I am very mad with this doctor in Switzerland because he literally didn't do anything to improve the situation and talked me into this stupid surgery

glennstanzalone

#17 Post by glennstanzalone »

anonimess wrote:I'm in a similar situation. I'm six months post double jaw and siding genio, at the point where the majority of swelling is gone, and I'm a bit upset at how things have turned out cosmetically.

Functionally, i can breathe much better, and the position of my tongue and bite is much improved.

BUT my face now looks super narrow and long, my chin is weirdly large, asymmetry appears worse in the cheek/jaw, and my lips are completely messed up.

The top lip is much smaller, basically rolled under and pinched together at the center. I've suddenly developed little smokers lines all along the top of the lip from it being in an unnatural position. I believe he made my lip smaller to ensure that my lips didn't completely cover my front teeth. The bottom lip gapes out a bit at the bottom now, which may be its own problem or due to the top lip. To top it off I have lip incompetence now, which I never had before.

I've been asking my surgeon about these things but kept getting the "wait and see how it is at six months" answer. In talks with friends basically everyone has alluded to me looking worse after this surgery. It's really hard, and I'm trying to hope for the best. Will be having a long talk with my surgeon soon.

I'm interested to hear what your surgeon had to say. I'm 3 weeks post op and my lip has developed little smokers lines too! It's all tiny. I don't understand.
Wisdom Teeth Removal - 2008
Adult Braces - February 4th 2016
:twisted: Lefort I 3 piece, Septoplasty & BSSO with rigid fixation + Left side IVRO - August 5th 2016
Braces off - February 28th, 2017!!

Chinderella

#18 Post by Chinderella »

Hi y'all! Is anyone EVER pleased with their s.g:s? I had my chin implant removed and s.g performed 6 weeks ago. At first I was totally freaking out about my looks now I hardly care anymore because the functional problems are so much worse. My chin was advanced 4 mm and vertically shortened. I now feel these hard limps right behind the stitches that some of you are talking about. Will they stay there forever?
And the lip tightness is killing me. Gum/lower lip feel so stiff and hard! I am having a hard time speaking/eating/laughing (what normal ppl do) and I am thinking kissing/intimacy? It is UNTHINKABLEat this point due to constant discomfort. Feel taste of blood from my irritated gum every evening. Anyone having good news to share? I feel like my life is over. My surgeon doesn t care....

Chinderella

#19 Post by Chinderella »

How are u feeling now? Any improvement of the stiffness in lip/gum?

chin

#20 Post by chin »

heyy,,,plaz guys...reversal would improve this issue or not...plz reply???

jaime

#21 Post by jaime »

chin wrote:heyy,,,plaz guys...reversal would improve this issue or not...plz reply???
No one here can tell you whether a reversal would improve your issue. You need to talk to your surgeon.
SARPE: December 19, 2013
Expander out/TPA in: May 13th, 2014
Upper and lower braces: May 21, 2014
Lefort I + BSSO + sliding genioplasty: June 11, 2015
TPA out: December 17, 2015 (due to issues)
Braces off: November 28th, 2016!!!
My blog
My ArchWired thread (last updated November 29th, 2016)

Petitchat

#22 Post by Petitchat »

Hi,

I just did an SG seven days ago with adjustment of 3mm (to bring symmetry to midline). I know we discussed possibility of bringing chin forward if anything 1mm, but definitely the emphasis was moving the chin to the right (my left jaw grew shorter than right side due to childhood trauma).

The swelling on the side (chipmunk cheeks) and slight edema underneath chin/throat has subsided substantially, however- my chin is still super puffy and tight. I have retained sensation in my lower lip although the chin and lower teeth are still numb (with tingling now and then). The most distressing part of this ordeal is the elongated look and lack of mobility when I smile to show off my lower teeth. I call it my signature tiger teeth. I also think my chin is pushing my lower lip up so it looks less voluminous than before. I feel like I transformed myself into Rumor Willis and I am trying very hard not to panic!

I know it takes time for the swelling to go down (the head/face has the most blood vessels) and if the unintended elongated face persists, I will look into a reversal. I regret ever mentioning moving anything forward (maybe the doctor did not, I will ask next week during my follow-up).

What is impacting the bottom lip? Does SG in any capacity affect the ability to smile big? Is it permanent? If the doc did move the chin forward even slightly, would a reversal improve the elongated face? Is a reversal less complicated or more complicated than the original surgery?