I want your opinion!

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

talkalot24

I want your opinion!

#1 Post by talkalot24 »

Okay, so I know this is of course my decision to make. And it's largely just based on personal preference. But I was hoping to get some input. I have to make a decision by tomorrow morning.

I have two options for my surgery:
1) Move the upper jaw forward 6 mm. Surgery time is 2-3 hours.
2) Move the upper jaw forward 7 mm and rotate both jaws up 4 mm (to reduce the length of my face). This option would require a Lefort I and BSSO (surgery on top and bottom jaws). Surgery time is 4-5 hours.

Below are computer generated pictures of how I'll look with each option. The first picture corresponds to option 1 and the second picture corresponds to option 2.

Thanks!!

talkalot24

Re: I want your opinion!

#2 Post by talkalot24 »

SLiM2590

#3 Post by SLiM2590 »

Option 2 seems more balanced. Picture #1 looks like you would have a somewhat long face, IMO.

annafaith

#4 Post by annafaith »

I had to choose whether to have a genioplasty or not with my BSSO. I didn't get any predicted photos, and the surgeon told me he suggested getting it done but that it was optional and purely for aesthetic reasons. Of course, a genioplasty is much more minor than what you are considering, so it's a bit different, but what swayed me was thinking that, if im doing all this preparation, spending months in braces, and recovering from a broken jaw anyway, I may as well go the whole shebang and get it all done. I didn't want to be thinking 'what if' later on down the line. I guess what I'm saying is, I didn't want the immediate time/recovery issues to cloud the ultimate aim of surgery in the first place, which was to improve my bite and my profile.

Both of your photos look good, but I think the bottom one is a bit more proportioned than the top one. In the top photo your jaw is much stronger and looks like it is a little far forward, but in your lower one, it looks a bit more relaxed and natural.

Good luck in your decision, will be keeping an eye out for you in the July thread - not long now!

talkalot24

#5 Post by talkalot24 »

Thanks!!!

Yeah, I'm really not sure why he just doesn't do a genio and move the top jaw, instead of top and bottom. But he's the expert, so I have to trust him right?

As you guys know, it's just such a hard decision because this is my face and this will be permanent! In 3 months from now, I don't want to think, I wish I went with the other option!

Rizzie

#6 Post by Rizzie »

It would probably help to see a pic of you from the front to see the length of your face straight on. I understand why your surgeon isn't dictating the choice as they both look good from the side. Do you feel like your face is too long? If you do, then that might be the best choice for you.

ReoSity

#7 Post by ReoSity »

I think you look better in the first one, plus you're in surgery less time and it'll correct your issue. I would only do the second option if there was a significant vertical discrepancy between your jaws.

talkalot24

#8 Post by talkalot24 »

Yeah, my face is too long.

Below are pics of the two predicted surgical results (just smaller pics so they are easier to see), and also a current picture of me from the front:

talkalot24

#9 Post by talkalot24 »

Picture of me now:

Operating on both jaws:

Operating on just the top jaw:

talkalot24

#10 Post by talkalot24 »

I really can't decide. I'm freaking out. I want a shorter face and a chin that isn't so strong, but I don't want a weak chin either. I really wish they could give you computer-generated pics from the front, too.

ReoSity

#11 Post by ReoSity »

I'll say it again, I'd go with the single jaw surgery. You're face isn't abnormally long, you don't have lip incompetence or a chin that projects too much. If you decide later on that you'd like to shorten your face, you can always do a vertical reduction genioplasty which is usually less invasive since it only moves your chin and doesn't require braces.

keeponsmiling

#12 Post by keeponsmiling »

I know this is too late now, but I think both your projections look great and just wondered which you went with? For the record, I don't think your face looks long or that your jaw is too strong - they're masculine features you should be proud of. (Unfortunately for me I have those issues and I'm female!! It's not so good to have a 'stronger' face than your husband!) If you already had surgery then best of luck with your recovery.

IamSam12345

#13 Post by IamSam12345 »

I think the second option looks better. With that said, however, I feel for you, this is a hard decision to make because of the added risks associated with having both jaws operated on. If I had to make this decision, I would think how I would feel years from now. What would I regret more: not having the work done on both jaws? Or would I regret doing both jaws and possibly having some extra nerve damage and a longer recovery time and more swelling? After thinking it through like this, I think I would go with both jaws, but as of right now, I'm only having my top jaw moved and definitely feel better about this than having bi jaw surgery. Ugh, it is tough, but whatever you choose, just be sure that you'll be okay with your decision in the future!! hope I helped a little. good luck!!!

talkalot24

#14 Post by talkalot24 »

Thanks everyone!

OMG. My surgeon's office just called to say that he's now considering doing a genio. This is too much to have to think about and figure out THE DAY BEFORE surgery. I have no clue what I'm going to do. I said I wanted the surgeon's input, and she was like, well it's just a preference and aesthetics thing. He can't tell you what to do.

shutmymouth

#15 Post by shutmymouth »

FWIW I wish I had gotten my genio.

Listen to your surgeons!!!!