JUNE 2011 BUDDIES!!!!

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

ceanna

JUNE 2011 BUDDIES!!!!

#1 Post by ceanna »

I just realized that there's no thread for the June buddies. There must be people having surgeries in June. I've already had my surgery but I still come here to support those who have just had surgery and to follow everyone's progress. Post here if you're having surgery in June! Good luck everyone!

thepseudophone

Re: JUNE 2011 BUDDIES!!!!

#2 Post by thepseudophone »

First post. Going in tomorrow for BSSO & chin reduction. What did you have and how are you doing. I hope we both have smooth recoveries.

ceanna

#3 Post by ceanna »

Good luck, thepseudophone! Hope your surgery went well! Let us know how you're doing.

thepseudophone

#4 Post by thepseudophone »

Hi Ceanna,

I hope your recovery is going well. Today is POD #4 for me, and I've been pretty miserable since the surgery (I'm picky). Advil has me in a happy place, though. I just wish the swelling would go down faster. I'm going to try soft food (noodles) in a few minutes. What's the situation like on your end?

ceanna

#5 Post by ceanna »

Hi thepseudophone,

Don't worry, the first 5 days are the worst. After a week, you should start to feel better. You're lucky you're already on soft foods now! I guess it's different if you only get one jaw done. Most people who have both jaws done have to be on a liquid diet for a few weeks. Are you banded shut at all? The swelling was the hard part for me too. Try sleeping elevated, propped with pillows, this helps with the swelling.

I had upper and lower jaw surgery plus a genioplasty. I actually didn't have my surgery in June (I've already had my surgery in what feels like ages ago) but I wanted to start the June thread so that other people who are having surgery in June can have a place to talk about it. So far it's just you posting, but I'm sure there are others. Hopefully they'll join you so that you can share your experiences together!

Hang in there! Things will get better!

thepseudophone

#6 Post by thepseudophone »

Thanks. Today is actually very bad. Lots of pain on the right side after no pain since the surgery. OS says everything looks good, though. Hopefully Advil puts me down.

acspock

#7 Post by acspock »

Sorry about your pain pseudo.

I'm 2 days post op. I had my lower jaw moved back and slightly adjusted for asymmetry as well. Pain isn't bad, just when I swallow...

I made my first youtube video today to let people see what it's like for me http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mHz4LAObXtQ

I will be making more!

Good luck guys.

LAJaw

#8 Post by LAJaw »

thepseudophone, make sure that your surgeon is ok with you taking Advil. Advil is ibuprofen, which has been shown to inhibit bone healing in animals. I was instructed to stick with Tylenol (acetaminophen) if I didn't want to use Lortab/Vicodin (hydrocodone).
Uppers braced April 15, 2010.
Wisdom teeth extracted April 30, 2010.
Lowers braced May 12, 2010.
BSSO & 3-piece LeFort I April 22, 2011.
Braces off July 3, 2012!!
My surgery blog: http://jeremiahjaw.wordpress.com

thepseudophone

#9 Post by thepseudophone »

Thanks all! My OS said Advil is OK.

I had an insane POD#6. I had chills and a fever of 102.1 F. Then I got terrible, watery diarrhea. I went to the ER and my white blood cell count was through the roof (23,000). I had never been so miserable in my life. The ER gave me IV fluids and antibiotics, and discharged me. I saw my OS later in the day, and he inspected my wounds... he cut one of my wounds open... and sure enough, I had an abscess. He cleaned it out and I had instant relief from all of my symptoms! I'm so happy, except I'm just concerned that my hardware is contaminated and that I'm going to need them taken out in the future. Any thoughts on this?

acspock

#10 Post by acspock »

ya what the? Were you taking antibiotics?

dtdtdt

#11 Post by dtdtdt »

thepseudophone,
I am so sorry to hear about the problem with your hardware. I was there, had it cleaned, there again, there again, you get the idea. Finally yesterday dr took my plates out. He told me after the first problem there was a 50/50 chance we would need to remove them. I guess the odds didnt work for me!

However i am not in pain. I can eat just fine but I am swollen and look like maybe POD#6 with a square face. Dr said I should be fine in about 5 days.

I wanted to reach out because I could not find anyone on the board who had plates removed. I do hope you dont but if you do it isnt as bad as you might expect. Keep us posted or PM me.

thepseudophone

#12 Post by thepseudophone »

Thanks for the reply! Did you have the hardware taken out under GA, or in the office? I don't have plates, just screws.

dtdtdt

#13 Post by dtdtdt »

They were removed in office. Dr said there was quite a bit infection on one side. He took out plates and screws on both sides because at 2.5 months out the bones were completely healed.

I do hope you can get through your infections. I had 3 rounds of antibiotics which is more than enough to do the job for most people. I guess I was the odd duck. I wish I had known as going into anything unknown is never ideal!

Are you doing ok otherwise?

thepseudophone

#14 Post by thepseudophone »

It's such a relief to hear that you didn't have to go under a second time. I'm going to prepare for the worst and assume my screws will come out too. Did you get sick each time the infection came back?

I'm still a little sick with a light fever and the diarrhea continues. Hopefully both calm down as my wound drains.

It's definitely therapeutic to talk about my struggles with all of you. Thanks so much.

thepseudophone

#15 Post by thepseudophone »

Today is POD#10, and I feel wonderful. My infected side is not tender, and in fact, quite a bit less swollen than the the other side!

Hang in there, acspock, it gets much better, and quickly. Especially considering the fact that I was knocked down for two days by an infection which you won't have.

I didn't have a chance to ask my surgeon today, but is it OK for me to drink coffee? When did you guys start?