6 week and 8 week picture update

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

shutmymouth

6 week and 8 week picture update

#1 Post by shutmymouth »

you can see the befores here
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=38957&start=30

Time for updates:
6weeks

I'm still not thrilled about my face but I can at least live with it now.

I just feel like my nose is so freaking WIDE!!!

Anyone else feel like that? Did it go down?

Today (8week)

bracedfaced

Re: 6 week and 8 week picture update

#2 Post by bracedfaced »

Hey!!! So glad to see your post. You finally look like you again! In fact you look JUST like your pre-surgery photos, minus the underbite. I think it just took a while for your swelling to finally go down. You look great!

Bullfighter

#3 Post by Bullfighter »

I agree with bracedfaced -- you look great. :thumbsup:

(Actually for 8 weeks out you look amazing.)

class3underbiteboy

#4 Post by class3underbiteboy »

Nose looks fine and in proportion, so relax :)

TitaniumAdded

#5 Post by TitaniumAdded »

I don't know how well you can tell shutmymouth, but your appearance has improved from these last 2 weeks. I realize how critical you've been of your nose, but there is no reason to by now, it looks fantastic.
Double Jaw Surgery + Septoplasty + Genioplasty on May 9, 2011
Blogging at: http://doublejawfix.blogspot.com/

shutmymouth

#6 Post by shutmymouth »

Thank you all! appreciate the compliments.

I'm very over analytical by nature. (I over analyze EVERYthing) It helps to get other people's perspectives.

thank you.

MeanCactus

#7 Post by MeanCactus »

I'll post myself for some opposite end of the spectrum juxtaposition. Just got double jaw surgery done yesterday, I ain't a pretty site ha

sarahorsomeone

#8 Post by sarahorsomeone »

For the record, your nose looks fine to me.

However, my nose was changing shape for about 3 months afterwards; and a certain portion of my cheeks still very occasionally puffs up 8 months later! That's despite the fact I looked fairly normal from about 4 or 5 weeks onwards.. I just shifted between different 'normal's. I think it part its something you'll get used to anyway, we're hypersensitive to any change in our face even if others can't notice it; even when my face puffs up now my family can't see it. My nose is a little wider and more turned up than it was before surgery, but now I'm used to it, I probably slightly prefer it to my 'old' nose.

streo

#9 Post by streo »

So at first glance, I thought your before pic looked better. However, after very closely examining the before and after (you're cute in general, couldn't help it!), I think I figured out the reasons why your before pics look better:

1) professional photographer
2) you are working the camera in the before set

You are definitely prettier in the after pics. You just need to make the results a part of your personality the same way you made your previous look part of your personality.

streo

#10 Post by streo »

I was curious: how many millimeters were your jaws moved? The change is quite dramatic (and again, you look prettier!).

shutmymouth

#11 Post by shutmymouth »

My upper jaw was moved forward 6.5 milimeters, cut into 3 places to widen and bring forward. No lower jaw surgery.

Thank you for the compliment. I cant help but think that maybe both should have been worked on. for a less drastic change.

I cannot stress enough for folks to get multiple opinions and have the surgeons explain why they feel their prognosis is best.

Again thankyou for the compliments. Good luck to everyone.

PS to all you double jaw surgery folks. I didn't have my jaw wired shut so you all have my deepest sympathies. I cant even fathom going through what you did/will. 1 jaw was rough enough for me! lol :p

streo

#12 Post by streo »

shutmymouth wrote:My upper jaw was moved forward 6.5 milimeters, cut into 3 places to widen and bring forward. No lower jaw surgery.
So right now my overbite measures about 7mm. I expect to have an 8mm discrepency by the time the lower incisors are uprighted. I remember when I was in high school my discrepency was 10mm. When I started in November 2010, my overbite was about 4.5mm. I hope my results turn out as good as yours!!!

shutmymouth

#13 Post by shutmymouth »

I'm sure it will turn out great. Are they going to do one or two jaws for you?

streo

#14 Post by streo »

shutmymouth wrote:I'm sure it will turn out great. Are they going to do one or two jaws for you?
As far as I know, it's only the lower jaw. My upper teeth are still being intruded with TADs and I feel like my upper incisors are beginning to disappear, so I wouldn't be surprised if they give me the option to move the maxilla forward/down for increased height. Still can't believe I'm doing this!

The most noticeable difference in your before/after pictures is that your eyes are bigger. From what I know of this procedure this is a common result for most women. Please post some 6 month pics if you remember, I'm sure things will "settle" even better.

Also, if you want a REAL opinion on your before/after post some pics here:

http://www.reddit.com/r/amiugly/