Details: how old were you? ( and skin implications)

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Carla

Details: how old were you? ( and skin implications)

#1 Post by Carla »

Hi all,

I wanted to know at what age you did this surgery.

My other question is.., in some cases the face gets really swollen. Our skin has some elasticity, so it probably won't show much signs after this.. but what if the person is older, and the skin isn't so "elastic", after the swollen goes away, is it possible the skin won't re-adjust so perfectly ? After what age do you think the skin will show some signs after this surgery?

I know these are details, compared to what this surgery really is... but even so, I'd really appreciate to hear your opinions, so I'll be more prepared, and ready

Thanks

bracedfaced

Re: Details: how old were you? ( and skin implications)

#2 Post by bracedfaced »

Great question, Carla. I too have worries about this. I hear and have read that the general age in which there is concern is 30/35 and up. I also hear and have read that this is mostly a concern with maxillary impactions. I am 32 yrs old and am having a maxillary impaction in less than 2 weeks. I am concerned. I also heard, off the record, from a dentist, whom is not my own, that these adverse effects don't usual show up right away, but years down the road. Think bulldog.

All that being said, I have no idea how much truth there is to any of this. Just relaying what i've heard and read. My own surgeon has brushed off my concern and simply stated the safe answer of, 'soft tissue changes are practically impossible to predict'.

So I assume it is a risk. But I suppose if it becomes a problem later, there are always cosmetic fixes that can be done. We do live in a world that loves cosmetic enhancements. So a little restalyne or laser skin tightening procedure may help. Thermage is supposed to be a good one. A dermaologist or med spa could provide such a service.

bb

#3 Post by bb »

I was 42 years old at surgery.
No impact on facial skin.
I did develop a bit of a turkey neck skin under my chin from having my jaw moved back plus losing 10 pounds.

Bullfighter

#4 Post by Bullfighter »

I'm on the wrong side of 40. Skin recovered nicely from a Feb 1 BSSO with lower jaw moved forward. I was pretty thin before surgery, regained most of the weight since.

I suppose we'll see how everything holds up over the years...

keeponsmiling

#5 Post by keeponsmiling »

Yeah, I'd been wondering the same. I'll be 33 by the time I get surgery - Lefort 1, BSSO and genio - and it just occurred to me that if they take out pieces of bone and my face ends up shorter where does all the extra skin go? I guess it can't be much different to someone who's lost a lot of weight. Within reason I assume the skin just kind of shrinks a bit, but eventually there must be a limit where you need skin removed surely? It's not something anyone professionally has ever mentioned to me.

bracedfaced

#6 Post by bracedfaced »

keeponsmiling wrote:Yeah, I'd been wondering the same. I'll be 33 by the time I get surgery - Lefort 1, BSSO and genio - and it just occurred to me that if they take out pieces of bone and my face ends up shorter where does all the extra skin go? I guess it can't be much different to someone who's lost a lot of weight. Within reason I assume the skin just kind of shrinks a bit, but eventually there must be a limit where you need skin removed surely? It's not something anyone professionally has ever mentioned to me.
I don't think it is something they will readily admit. My boyfriend was chatting with a dentist (not oral surgeon) in our health club locker room and casually mentioned my surgery. The dentist replied, 'What they won't tell ya is that she'll wind up looking like a bulldog years later...' Obviously I am having the surgery anyhow. I have to if I care about my dental health. If I need some fillers or a facelift when i'm in my 50's, so be it. It's a concern, yes, but whatcha gonna do?

Rizzie

#7 Post by Rizzie »

I think it would depend on what procedure is done. I'm having maxillary advancement and impaction with a mandibular advancement. My OS feels that this will give the best esthetic outcome. It should lessen my "laugh lines" and give me more lower jaw definition. I had braces as a teen and upper jaw was pushed back, so I currently have the retrognathic appearance.

I figure, after going through this surgery, if I need some cosmetic intervention down the road, it will seem like a walk in the park!

keeponsmiling

#8 Post by keeponsmiling »

Aaargh!!!! it's just something else to worry about....!

At the moment I'm getting so frustrated with difficultly eating and dimple-like wrinkles on my chin from trying to clamp my mouth shut that I think perhaps a bit of turkey neck might be a price worth paying. But then again, perhaps the 'slack' skin from having maxillary impaction will be pulled up somehow by the lower jaw being brought forward? I guess this is what they mean when they say soft tissue changes are unpredictable. It's a shame that the majority of people will naturally drift away from this website after their surgery and so there's very little info on these long term side effects. Many thanks to those voices of experience added so far.

Bullfighter

#9 Post by Bullfighter »

keeponsmiling wrote:... It's a shame that the majority of people will naturally drift away from this website after their surgery and so there's very little info on these long term side effects. Many thanks to those voices of experience added so far.
That is a shame because it would be incredibly useful to have "reunion" type threads to share the wisdom.