MAY 2011 BUDDIES!!!!

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Rizzie

Re: MAY 2011 BUDDIES!!!!

#91 Post by Rizzie »

I'm rinsing with warm salt water after eating/drinking and before bed. (8-10 x/day) Also brushing teeth with the baby toothbrush and some Tom's toothpaste (just a little). (4-5 x/day) The nurse at the OS office says they like to see the brackets shining clean! It's not too bad, the stitches are way up there or way down on the lower jaw. If you stick to the teeth it works pretty well, and freshens things up nicely.

If you can rinse vigorously with salt water, and move you tongue all around over the roof of your mouth, you will be amazed at the stuff that you can get out of there. I just keep rinsing until all is clear. My OS didn't prescripe peridex, and I am so glad--one less thing to taste bad.

bracedfaced

#92 Post by bracedfaced »

Thanks Rizzie! For some reason, the hospital only sent me home with rinse so I assumed I had to wait to brush. I just totally cleaned out my mouth. How gross. The roof of my mouth is still nasty but I feel much better. Heading to bed now. Hope we all feel better in the morning!

Lingualita

#93 Post by Lingualita »

Hi guys!

It seems you're are having a hard time, but coping quite well! I am having surgery in less than 12 hours now. I'm soooooo nervous, I just wanna wake up and have this behind me!

I will post on the "other side". Wish you all a speedy recovery!

luke88

#94 Post by luke88 »

Best of luck Lingualita! See you on the other side. I hope it goes smoothly and keep reading through our posts if you@re upset etc, what you'll be going through is normal. I am sure you'll be fine, only 24 hours to your new bite, you're nearly there now. :D

As for me... I am VERY worried... some of my elastics have come off.... I am wired shut (using elastics) with 17 hooks... so a lot but some have disappeared.... I just mouth washed and noticed some of my elastics have disappeared, probably two.... I remember my surgeon saying some may come off and not to worry.. but going to ring up tomorrow and see if they want me going up.

Guys... those of you wired shut. what did your surgeon say about elastics/wires coming off? very worried. :( Shall I call my ward today or call my surgeon office tomorrow? Don't even think my surgeon works on Mondays at my hospital.

luke88

#95 Post by luke88 »

Gotta go up hospital tomorrow afternoon and he'll put me some more bands on so I feel better now. Phew. I need to be very careful the next 24 hours though. How the hell did some elastic bands disappear? they were there last night when I mouth washed but when I woke up they had disappeared.

Anyone else experienced this and knows why it happens?

thanks and really hope everyone is coping. we're strong people.

bracedfaced

#96 Post by bracedfaced »

Good luck, Lingualita! See u in the other side!

Hi luke! I loosing an elastic is okay, especially because you are getting it fixed tomorrow. No worries! Could u have swallowed them? I cannot even see back far enough to know if I popped any off, etc.

Last night was rough for me. I vomitted a couple times. I didn't get to sleep until maybe 3am, and my throat is so sore. Prob from sleeping with my mouth open.

Anyone else have sore throat?

Rizzie

#97 Post by Rizzie »

bracefaced: you probably just need another patch, but I really recommend compazine suppositories. They are "old school" but the one thing that completely stopped my nausea-period. No side effects like with scopolomine.

luke: glad you are getting that taken care of tomorrow! Hope you get your nose taken care of as well.
Did you get any sleep last night?

Lingualita: Your day is almost here! It might be a rough few days, but you've been waiting a long time, so it will be wonderful getting this behind you. Take in all the tips from us, especially try to get a pain med that you know you can tolerate, something for nausea, and something for your nose (like saline spray.) Do you have a humidifier? I think that is a MUST! Good luck. We'll be sending positive vibes your way.

luke88

#98 Post by luke88 »

Rizzie I only got a few hours sleep last night, nose decides to be blocked during the night and clear during the day.

Just had some soup and some MORE elastics have come off... why is this happening? :( :( :( Will have to wait until tomorrow afternoon before it can be sorted. Remember my surgeon saying that if loads come off I may have to be put asleep. I can't do this again. No chance. I am going to eat nothing from now on until tomorrow, it's too risky.

Rizzie

#99 Post by Rizzie »

luke: So sorry you are going through this. If they have to put you to sleep, it would only be a few minutes under a simple sedation through an IV, just long enough to get the bands back on to prevent discomfort and difficulty for you and the team. Sounds like the bands were all old or defective. Good you are going in tomorrow. It will be fine, try not to worry, and at least drink clear liquids--don't let yourself get dehydrated. If they do put you out, they can really do a number on your nose to clear it out!

bracedfaced

#100 Post by bracedfaced »

Hi luke, I definitely agree with rizzie. If they put you to sleep, it will just be so you are not discomforted by them putting the bands back on. No worries. I waa told not to worry if a band pops off or if my teeth don't look aligned. You'll be fixed up tomorrow. Please keep eating. How are you eating? Is there a more careful way you can do it without popping off rubberbands? I originally was using the syringe and hose technique but I think the hose was irritating my mouth and I was scared I might pop a rubberband. Is that how you are eating? I stopped using the hose part. Now I just put the syringe by my front teeth and suck it through. I have started trying little cups too (disposable bathroom kind). How old are u luke? Who is taking care of you?

Thx rizzie, I may ask for anti-nausea meds when I see doc tomorrow. Last night,was so rough but now today, I feel better. It's constant ups and downs I guess.

I pretty much hate all the food I bought for myself so my mom just ran to the store to get me some new stuff. She's also bringing me home an iced coffee. I cannot wait! I haven't lived at home with my mom in 14 years so it is kind of nice being taken care of by my mommy. Ha ha!

Sams

#101 Post by Sams »

Hi guys!

First, good luck Lingualita with your op tomorrow! Let us know how it goes. :rose:

You all sound like you're having a rough time of it - I promise it does get better. I'm about a week ahead of you and I can happily report that the majority of my swelling has gone (still have some around my nose/cheeks) and I haven't had to take pain meds for a few days now :D . Plus, when I look in the mirror I'm beginning to look like myself again instead of resembling a bloated hamster with lip fillers!!

LOL at the Darth Vader comment - that is EXACTLY what I thought too. I've still a blocked nose, but even this is improving. My OS prescribed nose spray which I use before bed and really helps with sleeping. My nose doesn't bleed as much anymore, which I'm very happy about.

Luke88, I lost a couple of bands too - one I found still on the hook so I just put it back in place myself. I asked my OS about this and he said it wasn't a problem so long as I keep my bite together as much as possible (which isn't very comfortable) :|

I had a post op check up last Tues and had my mouth cleaned by an dental hygienist, who also demonstrated how to brush my teeth and use dental wax on some of the sore bits in my mouth where the hooks are digging in. That helped a LOT! Plus I had my elastics replaced and only two put back on (!!) so I can open my mouth a bit wider which means I can now drink from a cup again.

I've still a lot of numbness especially around my nose, but I'm able to control my lips and even pucker which makes trying to talk easier too. My mouth is tender and my teeth ache but I figure it's all part of the healing....

Yikes - this is no walk in the park is it?? But it will be worth it in the end, Sams xxx

bracedfaced

#102 Post by bracedfaced »

Thank you, Sams! Your post is very comforting and helpful!

I guess the key is to take things one step at a time. :)

luke88

#103 Post by luke88 »

First of all, thanks so much for the support you guys are giving me, it is comforting and I appreciate it.

Rizzie: When my surgeon was talking about putting me to sleep it sounds as though I'd be put under G/A again but that's probably because I was thinking of the worst. Putting me asleep for a few minutes isn't too bad. I have a real phobia with the hospital now because I had such a bad time on the ward. The whole emotional pain I went through has scarred me. I know it might sound pathetic or stupid. Good idea about informing them of my nose too..... during most of the day my nose is fine and clear. I have had a few hours sleep this afternoon and took advantage of this. Now it is the evening my nose is blocking up again.

These bands must be pretty weak. The pressures I may have put on them... well, my jaws have tried to yawn, I have coughed a few times (because some of the medication makes makes this happen)... I have been trying to talk.... erm, been eating soup from a spoon and drinking my Ensure drinks from a straw. I may have laughed a few times too. I would of thought my elastics would be able to take this pressure... or am I wrong?

Bracedface: I am glad they're going to see me tomorrow. They didn't say when but sometime in the afternoon, I've got to turn up at 1.30 and they'll see me when they're free I assume. I am eating through a straw for my Ensures, a syringe for water, a cup for tea (only had two since Tuesday though), and used a spoon a few times for soup. I'm not quite sure what I have done wrong, these elastics must be pretty weak..... :-S surely they could accommodate the things I have mentioned above?

I am currently keeping my mouth firmly together, I am terrified to move it. I won't eat now, it isn't worth any more bands coming off. I am hungry and keep feeling sick. I am drinking water through a syringe only.

I am 23 and my family is looking after me, my sister (when she is in) and my mum. They have been great so far, just feel very worried about these bands. I have 17 hooks and 6 of them have no bands on them at all. They are located on my centre right area.

Nice to hear your mum is looking after you.... iced tea! Yum!! What things are you eating? I have only touched the Ensure drinks and soups so far.

Sam: The fact your a week ahead provides us all with relief because we know we're not far from progressing to your stage. The mirror thing sounds amazing.... I keep looking in the mirror and seeing this bloody hamster... I want to see me again so badly. I have been keeping my jaws firmly together and haven't been talking very much at all, trying to ease any more pressure now before I have new elastics put on.

Walk in the park? Absolutely not. This is extremely challenging but pretty interesting in testing our emotions etc We will become stronger out of this and remember, we'll all have great bites/jaws etc. Right now I tend to forget my new bite because everything is getting on top of me but I know it will be worth it in the end.

Rizzie

#104 Post by Rizzie »

luke: are you able to drink from a paper cup yet? I have found those the easiest because they can be bent a little. I can hold my lips closed across the bottom and top of the cup and drink a fair amount that way. Meds go down quicker, and so does milk with instant breakfast.

Regarding instant breakfast...I think it is much like dry chocolate for chocolate milk. I bet that would taste good to you and give you calories. That is pretty much what Carnation instant breakfast is, anyway. At least it would be a layman's substitute that would taste good. I make mine weak at this point anyway. I think you would do well to give it a try. Doesn't sound good that you are nauseated now.

These meds taste pretty bad. I didn't realize what others were fussing about until I had to take them. I'm finishing up the dreaded Cephalexin that stinks to high heaven today. Two more doses, I think.

I've started adding in children's liquid ibuprofen as an antiinflammatory/pain reliever. Still on my tylenol with codeine too. Have not been able to cut down on pain meds, and I'm not planning to until the pain is very well managed.

I feel for you. Hang in there, you are a day or so from feeling a lot better! Your doctor visit will turn things around for you, I am sure of it.

By the way everyone, I'll save you a boo-boo. Don't eat any soup unstrained. I ate some blended homemade veg/beef soup and the beef particles got all tangled up in my bands. I almost cried, but I got it out with my toothbrush and many, many, swishes.

romancommander

#105 Post by romancommander »

Good luck Lingualita! Hope your surgery goes well!

My pain today has gone down a lot. I have stopped taking pain meds and I am starting to eat chili with spicy sauce. Spicy sauce helps clear up my nose which is not nearly as bad as it was a day or two ago.

GOOD LUCK EVERYONE!!! BTW I'm listening to Dre's new song "I need a Doctor" to keep me in the healin mood :D