what are phases from numbess to regaing feeling?

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

dtdtdt

what are phases from numbess to regaing feeling?

#1 Post by dtdtdt »

I am on day 17 after bsso with complete numbness in lower lip or chin. It ranges from mild tingling and feeling rubbery and heavy, to pins and needles, to ants crawling, to a burn and an occasional shooting pain. I have been reading a lot and see these sensations seem to be present in some paitens who are on way to getting feeling back as well as some who never do.

Can anyone share their story and what they experienced? Are there clear phases? Dr is pretty encouraging but won't say what the "good signs" might be.

Thanks.

amandapanda

Re: what are phases from numbess to regaing feeling?

#2 Post by amandapanda »

I've heard that experiencing sharp pain or tingling is a good sign that feeling will return. It's been about 2 months and 1 week since my surgery and feeling still hasn't returned to my lower lip/chin... My doctor said it can take up to twelve months to return :\

juneyer

#3 Post by juneyer »

I noticed that some other members were doing acupuncture to help restore the feeling in their lower lip, chin area. I'd like to know what other methods members have used to try to get the sensation back. ie-warm compresses, massage, anything? I'm only 9 days post op so I'm not too worried yet, but I would like to be proactive in doing something if it can help me down the line.

Bullfighter

#4 Post by Bullfighter »

I'm at 8 weeks now after BSSO/genio.

The pins/needles feeling is pretty accurate. It's hard to estimate, but I feel like I've probably got 50-60 percent sensory nerve recovery at this point. I certainly feel it when I shave my chin now, far more than I need the week after surgery.

In terms of progression, my doctor said that nerves recover slowly, and the last part to recover fully will be center of your chin and lip. Healing tends to happen from the sides inward. That seems to be what I've experienced -- my cheeks feel normal, half my lip is normal/half is slightly numb; thick part of the chin is mostly numb, feels like a mound of rubber.

He said there was really nothing to do to help it heal faster.

I wouldn't describe it as "phases", because it is a gradual process. It's not like someone flipping a switch and suddenly you can feel everything again. (It would be nice if it was, but there seems to be a lot to regenerate in there...)

Rizzie

#5 Post by Rizzie »

I cannot vouch for its effectiveness, but I have read about using vitamin B-12, sublingual, to help in the healing process. I plan on trying it, I figure it cannot hurt.

sarz

#6 Post by sarz »

I am going to give acupuncture a go. :rose:
No Regrets Just Lessons Learned
"What can we do to prevent this from happening again"?

Dani73

#7 Post by Dani73 »

It ranges from mild tingling and feeling rubbery and heavy, to pins and needles, to ants crawling, to a burn and an occasional shooting pain.
This is what I felt, fun isn't it LOL - depending on what part was starting to recover, but it would go on for a week or two and then the feeling would be back!

But I also got itching! Oh god, I don't think I'll forget that itching, drove me bonkers! I took Clarantyne *sp which helped to ease it a bit - but check with your Dr before doing that.

shutmymouth

#8 Post by shutmymouth »

I'm so glad someone asked this. I'm 10 days post op. I was getting a little worried as my right side was starting to get feeing back but the left side of my face is taking a little longer.

arieswithbraces

#9 Post by arieswithbraces »

I think I'm a litted blessed. I have most of my feeling back except a little spot on my upper right lip. I'm 4 weeks 6 days post-op. My gums are still numb on the top and I noticed today the left side roof of my mouth is numb but the right side is coming back. I'm doing nothing special. I do take Fish Oil pills (grandparents swear by it, so I just do it!) I do facial exercise while watching TV constantly! Puckering , jaw exercises, squinting, anything to loosing my face! HTH!
1st consult: 4/28/2009
Top Brace: 6/03/09
Extractions: 06/15/09
bottom braces 1/13/2010
**FAST FORWARD**
March 16, 2011 Upper Jaw Surgery~Lefort I 2-piece, BSSO, Genioplasty ( UNC hospital~Dr. Timothy Turvey)
April 19, 2011~Removed splint!
April 20, 2011~1st ortho appt since surgery...back in ligatures and got elastics

bb

#10 Post by bb »

I am 14months post op.
Post-op had numbness of lower lip and chin.
After a few weeks I had pins and needles, tingling then itchiness and took that as a good sign, but...
  • 3 months- Had acupuncture with no improvement.
    6 months- Had crainio-sacral therapy with slight improvement - could feel firm pressure but still no light pressure and certainly no discernment of sharp or soft.
    13 months - have been having accupuncture again. Had slight improvement of left side (able to feel light touch but no discernment of texture still) after the 1st treatment. Have had 5 subsesquent treatments with no further improvement. Will try one more treatment then give up.
    Right lip and chin still completely numb.
Have also tried:
b12
light tapping of chin
warm compresses
exercising chin and lip

Impact of the numbness:
-biting lower lip when eating
-not able to feel food or drink on your face
-difficulty pronouncing some sounds
-painful when cold (drinks or weather)
-but worst of all is not being able to feel a kiss.

I honestly thought permanent numbness wouldn't happen to me. But it sucks.
Not a pity party- just reality.

ColoradoGirl

#11 Post by ColoradoGirl »

Sounds very encouraging to me!

I'm ~6 mo out; I still have some numb patches (tip of chin, part of lower front gums) and some patches that feel weird. It's been a slow but steady recovery...hard to describe, but I feel a bit more normal when I "check" (i.e., lightly smack myself in various previously-numb places; very scientific) weekly. Nerves do take a long time to grow back. So, I've frequently felt strangely and intensively in pain (like the eight days when I constantly felt the gums around my canines burning like I'd just over-listerined them, and was worried that I'd ruined my gum fascia), but I think that's more a case of short-term nerve confusion than something to worry about. They feel quite normal now. :)

You might ask your surgeon what s/he thinks about possible long-lasting nerve damage. In my case, my surgeon said he saw the nerves during surgery and they weren't very damaged, so he thinks all my feeling will return even if it takes some time.

Wickl

#12 Post by Wickl »

Just for reference, I a bit more than 2 years out from my first go at this and am still getting gradual improvements in feeling in my lips. It can take a long long time - don't give up! I have not tried and treatments but time.

Bullfighter

#13 Post by Bullfighter »

Wickl wrote:Just for reference, I a bit more than 2 years out from my first go at this and am still getting gradual improvements in feeling in my lips. It can take a long long time - don't give up! I have not tried and treatments but time.
Amazing how the body heals over the long term.

juneyer

#14 Post by juneyer »

I think things are getting better. I still have numbness in my lower left lip and left side of my chin, but it isn't as bad as before. I think because I had some internal swelling that has gone away. I have tingling when I tap the numb spots. After reading BB's posts a couple of weeks ago it gave me a little anxiety, but as long as there is progress I'm optimistic. BB I hope you don't lose all hope, and hope that Wiki's post gives you some hope. I also hope that any of you that regain feeling keep us updated even if it is years. I appreciate the people that have had the surgery a while ago post their experiences.