having surgery again in april

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

shanalouis

having surgery again in april

#1 Post by shanalouis »

i went see my surgeon today, looks like i will be having a second surgery, my upper jaw is just a mess..good luck to those with upcoming surgeries...

I love my teeth

Re: having surgery again in april

#2 Post by I love my teeth »

I am sorry to hear that, but what happened with the surgeon???

After all the postings you have put on here about your situation, now that you have some answers, you should post some more info for the rest of us......you will get a lot more support on here if you do!

Please keep up dated on your situation!
Wore Braces for 2 years, 5 months, 3 days

url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]
[/url]

hduggan

#3 Post by hduggan »

I'm really sorry to hear that - I know that's not the news you wanted to hear.

If it were my jaw, I'd want to know alot more from the surgeon about what went wrong the first time, why he wasn't able to stabilize the jaw once he knew there was a problem, why his staff was so unresponsive to your (correct) alarms about a problem, etc.

Most important, what exactly is he going to do to ensure that this won't happen a second time?

I'm nothing like a doctor (and I've never played one on TV) but I have noticed that both cases on nonfusion I've seen on this board were in people who grind their teeth, and I've read that that's one possible cause of nonfusion. If that's the issue in your case (and I have no idea if it is), I'd like to know how he's going to address it the second time round.

Please let us know how you're doing.

chicago29

#4 Post by chicago29 »

I'm really sorry you have to have another surgery, but do know that this one should be quicker and easier to recover from. Yes, it will be hard, but you've been through it before and you know what to expect. Knowing is half the battle with this surgery...

Be strong, and seek help if you need it. You should be in good mental shape before you go into this. And, I agree that you should be asking your surgeon very hard questions about what lead to this and what specifically they are doing this time around to ensure this does not happen again (bone grafts, more plates/screws, etc).

Keep us posted as the date nears.

-Chicago29

shanalouis

#5 Post by shanalouis »

hey i'm surprised someone responded, it seemed like no one cared about my posts :lol:

anyway i know i will be getting new plates and screws, he didnt mentioned much to me at my last appointment nor anything about a bone graft as he said we will discuss everything at my next appointment. but did say something about feeling in gaps. he said he never seen anything happen like this before and that he is not worry but will do a second surgery on me for sure. he also things my bruxim caused this and said he's not sure what to do about that so i dont know. i've been worried though because last sunday i chewed a little and now i hear popping nosies in my upper jaw and there is a lot of pain. he said it could be sinusitis since i'm getting headaches and aches in my teeth and face. i could have also fractured something.

i have been having a hard time with this. i just want to get better and move on with my life. if i would have known this would have happen i would have never done this surgery. i am scared to go thru another surgery as i had to have a blood transfusion the first time. this really sucks and i am really scared but i know the second time around should be ok since they arent doing much..i am asking him so many questions but he is very vague about it. i just hope everything goes fine this time. i dont want to be having all these surgeries.

hduggan

#6 Post by hduggan »

It's absolutely reasonable to be having a hard time - it is really hard to have to go through this surgery more then once. We found going through it once pretty darn hard. If you have friends/family around, it's a good time to really lean on them. If you don't, or if they're not good for leaning, you really need someone to talk to. This is a big emotional deal, and you need all the support you can get.

I'm a little concerned that your doctor seems surprised/confused/unsure about your case. Is there really noone else local that you could consult with? Or is there someone *he* could consult with? You really need to be assured that this won't happen again before you go back in for surgery. That means that he comes to you with a clear plan about what went wrong and exactly how he's going to address it. This is his job - make him do it.

shanalouis

#7 Post by shanalouis »

yeah there are others local i can consult. but i dunno how my surgeon would react to this.

shutmymouth

#8 Post by shutmymouth »

who gives a Flying fart how your surgeon might react. It is your every right and your responsibility to your health to get 2nd and 3rd opinons. If you have to have a 2nd surgery, get it with someone who knows what the heck they are doing.

People care about your posts but this board doesn't move that fast believe it or not. Most people are here asking questions and discussing THEIR surgery and then dont come back. So many people that are reading your posts dont know because they haven't been through it yet. hth

shanalouis

#9 Post by shanalouis »

lol okay i'll contact some locals. what do i do...do i get my records/x-rays from my surgeon or do i just let them do everything etc.

shanalouis

#10 Post by shanalouis »

what are the bone grafts usually done for

arieswithbraces

#11 Post by arieswithbraces »

shanalouis wrote:what are the bone grafts usually done for

they are to fill in gaps from the movement of your upper jaw. I was supposed to have them but he said he wouldn't know for sure until he was in there and could see if there would be a gap. I didn't need it though. Bones have to be really close so the osteoblasts ( cells responsible for bone formation) can form new bone. That's why they like to use the grafts since it's your own bone. They don't have to worry about your body rejecting it. I hope everything is ok...best wishes and good luck with your surgery!
1st consult: 4/28/2009
Top Brace: 6/03/09
Extractions: 06/15/09
bottom braces 1/13/2010
**FAST FORWARD**
March 16, 2011 Upper Jaw Surgery~Lefort I 2-piece, BSSO, Genioplasty ( UNC hospital~Dr. Timothy Turvey)
April 19, 2011~Removed splint!
April 20, 2011~1st ortho appt since surgery...back in ligatures and got elastics