Dr. Day in phoenix?

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

ReoSity

Dr. Day in phoenix?

#1 Post by ReoSity »

Anyone have surgery with or heard anything about Dr. Reed Day of phoenix, AZ? I'm planning on making an appointment with him and I've heard he's got a good rep.

Marisama

Re: Dr. Day in phoenix?

#2 Post by Marisama »

I had a consult with him. He didn't even spend time looking into my case. He was actually a jerk. I flew from out of state and wish I wouldn't have.

ReoSity

#3 Post by ReoSity »

That's too bad, he's so close to me too. I think I saw in another thread Ryan that you'll be having surgery with Arnett? I'd love to have a consult with him but his surgery fees are so expensive and since my case is borderline, I doubt my insurance would cover any costs. How are you paying for it if you don't mind me asking?

Marisama

#4 Post by Marisama »

I'm actually planning on surgery with Dr. Gunson, Arnett's partner. The surgery fee is really expensive and I'm not sure if my insurance will cover it either as I am a borderline case as well. I was asked to have a sleep study for sleep apnea because me airway is quite small. This may be my only chance to have insurance coverage. If I don't have help from insurance, I'm not exactly sure how I'm going to pay. Maybe I'll ask my parents for help or borrow money from them. I've got a good job, but with a new house and a kid on the way, saving $50 to 60k seems out of reach for a while.

ReoSity

#5 Post by ReoSity »

Sent you a pm Ryan.

Brandini

#6 Post by Brandini »

Hi there! I actually had surgery surgery 9 weeks ago and Dr. Day was my surgeon. I am still in recovery but I’d be happy to answer any questions. I do have to say that the first time I met Dr. Day, he did come off as a bit full of himself but not a jerk. He’s very confident about what he does but I don’t necessarily think that is a bad quality in a surgeon. I had other consultations and he was by far my favorite. Also his staff was incredible. They worked very hard to make sure that I was comfortable and helped me out with my insurance company to no end.

ReoSity

#7 Post by ReoSity »

That's great to hear Brandini. What did you have corrected and what procedures were done?

Brandini

#8 Post by Brandini »

I had a “three piece” upper and lower jaw surgery to correct my overbite and “long face". I also got a silicone cheek implant on my cheek because I was “deficient” on one side and they extended the bone in my chin because my chin was also “deficient”. The last two things I mentioned are considered cosmetic and my insurance did not cover them. My insurance did, however, cover 70% of the rest of my surgery and hospital stay. They would have covered more but Dr. Day was not considered “in network”. My nurses in the hospital, my orthodontist Dr. Howard Henry and Dr. Day all said that anything a person could have gotten done for this, I got done. So they say it was a very complicated case. But all in all I feel like things went very well with the surgery. I have no complaints with Dr. Day’s work and think he did an excellent job. I am NOT completely healed though. I still need 4 more months in order for the swelling to go away completely. The main thing I think is the question “was it worth it?” If someone were to ask me that in the first week following surgery, I would have so NO. Now I have a different story. I really like the where my recovery is headed. The only thing I get scared of is that I’m done recovering. If my face were to stop improving now, it wouldn’t be worth the surgery. Fortunately for me, I’m getting a little bit better everyday.

CFP

#9 Post by CFP »

Hi Riosity,
I was wondering if you ever made your appt with Dr Day and how it went? I have an appt with him next week. I read that his rates are fairly good because he uses an operating suite instead of a hospital.

H

CFP

#10 Post by CFP »

ReoSity. Sorry I just realized I spelled your username wrong. Thank you in advance for any info you have.

Brandini,
That's awesome that you had such a good experience with him. Did you find hid rates to be reasonable?

RMF7825

#11 Post by RMF7825 »

Have read mixed reviews on Dr. Day. Some patients have been very happy with their results and some have not. It does sound as if the ones who were unhappy found him to be unresponsive, maybe even cruel in some ways when they asked that their problems be addressed. The "ego" issue seems to be a common thread with many surgeons not just Dr Day.

tinymandibleAZ

#12 Post by tinymandibleAZ »

I have a friend who had surgery by Dr. Day. Long story short, she wound up VERY assymmetrical!! She tried to discuss this with Dr. Day, but his arrogance got in the way. On one occasion he made her cry he was so nasty to her. She finally gave up and went to Dr. Arnett for a do-over and is much happier now.

DISCLAIMER: This is secondhand information; I am not the patient in this story. However, I did see the results - her face was a mess. I am very happy for her now.

Run10KToday

#13 Post by Run10KToday »

Please search my post in this forum and you will be appalled by his result. I'm regretting that every day.

Run10KToday

#14 Post by Run10KToday »

Run10KToday wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2016 11:05 am Please search my post in this forum and you will be appalled by his result. I'm regretting that every day.
Update: After consulting 4 top maxillofacial surgeons in CA, 1 in Dallas and 3 local, I got confirmed Dr Reed Day did screw up my case (very badly) and I've decided to go with a full revision. I still have one upcoming appointment with another Santa Barbara surgeon but the votes are already overwhelming (7 vs 1). The only local doctor said Dr Day did an OK job if I'm not working in the customer service/ sales industry (and I am not). And trust me Dr Day is indeed, as others mentioned here, ruthless and arrogant. He can easily make you cry.

veralynn

#15 Post by veralynn »

[quote=Run10KToday post_id=500803 time=1520547942 user_id=28843]
[quote=Run10KToday post_id=489176 time=1483034713 user_id=28843]
Please search my post in this forum and you will be appalled by his result. I'm regretting that every day.
[/quote]

Update: After consulting 4 top maxillofacial surgeons in CA, 1 in Dallas and 3 local, I got confirmed Dr Reed Day did screw up my case (very badly) and I've decided to go with a full revision. I still have one upcoming appointment with another Santa Barbara surgeon but the votes are already overwhelming (7 vs 1). The only local doctor said Dr Day did an OK job if I'm not working in the customer service/ sales industry (and I am not). And trust me Dr Day is indeed, as others mentioned here, ruthless and arrogant. He can easily make you cry.
[/quote]

Run10k— I’m facing revision as well, my surgery wasn’t by Dr Day, but another. Who did you end up with? Did you get a revision?