wisdom teeth getting removed

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

littleviolet

wisdom teeth getting removed

#1 Post by littleviolet »

I have to have all 4 of my wisdom teeth removed at least 9 months before I have lower jaw surgery. Im getting them all out at the same time :shock: i'll be glad to get it over with but im really not looking forward to it! how long will I need off work to recover? my oral surgeon said 1 week... but that dosnt seem very long? for anyone who has had this done, is that enough time for you to be feeling well again? also i've never been under anesthetic... im scared! im not getting this done until late feb. But any tips or advice?

Emmauk

#2 Post by Emmauk »

Hi ya

I had mine out a couple of months ago and it was fine. I had a GA and had all four wisdoms plus another tooth out in one go. When i woke up i had swabs in place which were removed before i went back to the ward. After a couple of hours i was given a drink and a sandwich then went home a few hours later. I was really lucky and had minimal swelling and virtually no pain. I took a pain killer on day 2 or 3 and that was it. I could have resumed normal life (school run etc) within a couple of days to be honest.

I had stitches which were annoying so i popped into my dentist who took them out for me.

The main concern for me was dry socket - nobody really explained what/how to me - basically you can get dry socket if the clot that forms in the extraction site gets dislodged and lets infection in. Be careful what you eat post surgery for a few days and make sure to keep your mouth as clean as you can with salt water rinses and im sure you'llbe fine.

peacefrog

#3 Post by peacefrog »

I think your surgeon is pretty accurate with one week. I had all 4 of mine removed at once. I ended up with dry sockets but I still only missed about a weeks worth of work while they healed. This was the first and only time I had been under anesthetic. I was pretty nervous, but it turned out to be no big deal. I was in and out of the doctor's office in under an hour. Just keep reminding yourself that almost everybody has to have their wisdom teeth out. That's how I managed to keep myself calm up until the deed was done.

trampswife

#4 Post by trampswife »

I had all four of mine out the same day. I was back to work the next Tuesday (had them out Friday on a three day weekend). I went to a dental surgeon, though. At 33, I had some serious roots for those suckers and my dentist is of the opinion that the other guy was trained for extractions and to do it that way.

Let's see. Oh yeah. Bone slivers hurt like you wouldn't believe!! Once they work their way to the surface and they get got out, the relief is immediate. I had 2, so no biggie. Pretty frequent, I understand.

Udjat

Re: wisdom teeth getting removed

#5 Post by Udjat »

I just had the two lower wisdom teeth removed under local anathesia today. Wasn't bad at all. I wouldn't be too worried about it. You're lucky you're having all four removed at once. I have to have to seperate surgeries.