That Last & Good Pre-Surgery Meal

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Rodney008

That Last & Good Pre-Surgery Meal

#1 Post by Rodney008 »

For grins :D

Before I rest my choppers for several weeks I'm going to dig into a thick, medium-rare rib eye, with all the trimmings.

What about the rest of you? I'm open to suggestions.

sauerkraut

#2 Post by sauerkraut »

Do you know I hadn't even thought about that?! My actual "last meal" will be whatever they serve me in hospital as I'm being admitted the day before my surgery. Until then I am simply devouring chocolate. Lots and lots of chocolate.
SARPE: Sept 2007
Braced: May 2008
BSSO: Nov 2010
Debraced: March 2011

aliciaj212

#3 Post by aliciaj212 »

I had pork. It was delicious. If you're a carnivore, I'd definitely say to go for the biggest, thickest, juiciest piece of meat you can get. You'll be thinking about it for the next three months.

I'd also recommend drinking A LOT of water. It'll thin out your blood so that if you do end up puking it up, it won't be as horrible.
This Is Not A Medical Vacation - my blog on double jaw surgery

beowulf68

#4 Post by beowulf68 »

After work the day before surgery I'm going to hit Outback Steakhouse and get a me a 16oz Strip Steak, baked potato, salad and maybe some cheese cake for dessert.

sauerkraut: I'm surprised you are getting admitted the day before surgery?? Are you in the States? I've haven't heard of hospitals doing that anymore due to cost. However, I wish they would do that for me so that I could be pumped full of anti-anxiety meds all night prior to getting wheeled into the OR!

sauerkraut

#5 Post by sauerkraut »

I'm in Germany. I was in hospital longer than most people for my SARPE as well. They seem to like being ultra-cautious here! They admit you the day before in order to do blood tests, x-rays, ecg, & stuff. And they've said they'll keep me in for 5 days after surgery, too :( Fortunately it's all covered by insurance because of medical necessity.

I suppose I should think about a final meal at home, though. I'm not a meat-eater so I'll pass on the steaks. Guess I'm just happy with my chocolate :)
SARPE: Sept 2007
Braced: May 2008
BSSO: Nov 2010
Debraced: March 2011

beowulf68

#6 Post by beowulf68 »

Typical US health care system.....All they care about is the $$$$. They try to get you in and out as fast as possible. I have a pre-op testing day scheduled a week before my surgery to do blood work, EKG and the like but I'm scheduled to arrive a couple hours prior to the surgery on the day of.....No day before.

shanalouis

#7 Post by shanalouis »

lots of pizza for me....

Broadway Bill

#8 Post by Broadway Bill »

I went all out for my last meal: lobster mashed potatos, steak, crab, asparagus, brussels sprouts and cheesecake. It was totally the right thing to do.

I go to soft-chew in 6 days and I'm already planning what I'll eat then

dvdrdiscs

#9 Post by dvdrdiscs »

aliciaj212 wrote:I had pork. It was delicious. If you're a carnivore, I'd definitely say to go for the biggest, thickest, juiciest piece of meat you can get. You'll be thinking about it for the next three months.

I'd also recommend drinking A LOT of water. It'll thin out your blood so that if you do end up puking it up, it won't be as horrible.

I don't believe water thins your blood. And even if it does, it's NEVER a good idea to thin your blood prior to surgery. You'll end up bleeding more than you want to during the procedure.

ColoradoGirl

#10 Post by ColoradoGirl »

I'm mostly a vegetarian (I had a BLT on my 30th b-day), but I did indeed have steak 2 nights before my surgery. I looooooooooooooooove steak, and hadn't had one in years, so it was really quite fabulous. I also had a baked potato, asparagus, broccoli, and chocolate mousse. Excellent meal! Oh, I also had a gin and tonic. I guess I could techically have g&ts now, but, ew.

LeahRuth

#11 Post by LeahRuth »

Last meal? I took advantage and had a last week of meals & packed on 4lbs of pizza, pasta, chinese food & grilled cheese :)

mountaingirl

#12 Post by mountaingirl »

I think my last meal was a roast beef and yorkshire puddings with lots of gravy. :) Mmmm.
Upper segment and lower jaw advancement on June 23, 2010.

blindboarder2008
Location: in a house that has 4 walls, with lots of rooms!!! in Canada!

#13 Post by blindboarder2008 »

LeahRuth wrote:Last meal? I took advantage and had a last week of meals & packed on 4lbs of pizza, pasta, chinese food & grilled cheese :)
hehehe I did that as well! I called it my eat a thon week and I had all of my fav meals!!! Oh and I also went to all of my favorite restaurants!!! Greatest week of my life cause i wasn't even remotely worried about gaining pounds lol

My last night I had marble slap ice cream but loaded it up with tons of the toppings! hmmmm my last actual meal was pork chops, scalloped potatoes mixed veggies and hot crust buns!!!
Braced: March 19th 2008
Impacted wisdom teeth extraction surgery: June 20th 2008 1pm (13 hours of fasting)
Jaw surgery (upper and lower)Lefort 1 with Madable Advancement: June 2nd 2009 @8am!!!! 1 surgery down 2 surgeries to go!!
debrace day: jan 18th 2010!!!! *has 2 fixed retainers and an essix retainer for night time now!