Nose Changes

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

shanalouis

Nose Changes

#1 Post by shanalouis »

i was suppose to be having lower jaw surgery only but now i'm just getting my top jaw moved back. i heard a lot of you say the nose changes with upper jaw surgery. i'm so afraid my nose will become really wide. those of you who had surgery ,how did you nose turn out? and what causes this?

WiredRunner

#2 Post by WiredRunner »

Braced December 14, 2009
Debraced November 9, 2011

OhioM

#3 Post by OhioM »

My nose is significantly wider after my Lefort procedure. I am not happy with it, but I will take a too wide nose over a gigantic gummy smile and lip incompetence anyday!
Recovering from Lefort 1 (5.5 mm impaction) with genio (6 mm) 1/20/10

chicago29

#4 Post by chicago29 »

I am 12 days post op and it is definitely wider. I don't know if I like it yet, and of course things will change so much over the next few months. I do know that I don't "not like it", as I always thought my nose/nostrils were way too thin anyway.

Time will tell, but if this is a concern I would absolutely bring it up with your OS. I think they can put a stitch in there or something to try and really minimize any nose impact.

Good Luck
Chicago29

maximizing24

#5 Post by maximizing24 »

I think, everyone who underwent jaw surgery either upper or lower or both can share their experience about nose shape changes as process such as, is it big change or it has gone gradually so on,

I know good that many people who are in here are looking for functional problem of course, I think surface are as important as functional goals. I thanks everyone already

James0099

#6 Post by James0099 »

My nose changed, but I think for the better. People used to tease me that my nose was big, but it may of been because my upper lip was too in. Its a little wider and higher it seems, but from what people tell me it isn't as big as it was. My surgeon did say that it would take emphasis off of my nose, the surgery.

sarahorsomeone

#7 Post by sarahorsomeone »

I'm two weeks post-op for upper and lower jaw surgery. My maxilla was impacted by 6mm and moved forward by a couple of mm, and my mandible was moved forward by about 4mm. I also had a-symmetry correction in both jaws.

I too was worried about nose changes, and for the first week I was rather concerned about my nose because the base and nostrils looked huge, but it turned out it was just down to swelling and now it seems to have settled down a lot.

My nose does look different, but not really any wider; the shape has just changed a little in profile; the tip is a little turned up and it's developed a very subtle curve wheras before my nose was more angular. It possibly looks a tad smaller too but I think that's where both my jaws have been moved forward a little. I didn't have a problem with my nose pre-op and I don't have a problem with it now, but if anything I'd say it's an improvement.

chicago29

#8 Post by chicago29 »

sarahorsomeone wrote:I'm two weeks post-op for upper and lower jaw surgery. My maxilla was impacted by 6mm and moved forward by a couple of mm, and my mandible was moved forward by about 4mm. I also had a-symmetry correction in both jaws.

I too was worried about nose changes, and for the first week I was rather concerned about my nose because the base and nostrils looked huge, but it turned out it was just down to swelling and now it seems to have settled down a lot.

My nose does look different, but not really any wider; the shape has just changed a little in profile; the tip is a little turned up and it's developed a very subtle curve wheras before my nose was more angular. It possibly looks a tad smaller too but I think that's where both my jaws have been moved forward a little. I didn't have a problem with my nose pre-op and I don't have a problem with it now, but if anything I'd say it's an improvement.
Wow...this is almost my exact surgery. I was moved forward about 4mm on top and 3mm on the bottom, but had the same impaction.

There is definitely a change in my nose. I'd say the nostrils are wider. I think some of it is still swelling as I'm still pretty swollen in this area.

In any regard, I actually like the change so far as I always thought my nose was too thin. I do want it to settle down a bit, but I think it will in due time.

In conclusion, it seems nose changes are almost a given when having upper jaw surgery, so for those of you that have the perfect nose pre-op, I'd definitely bring this up with your surgeon!

-Chicago29

sarahorsomeone

#9 Post by sarahorsomeone »

I forgot to say, I did ask my surgeon about nose changes and he did say he would use stitching to prevent them as much as he could; so maybe that's why I've not had too much widening?

I know he was also going to sew my lip back a little differently to how it was pre-op (not at my request, it was just something he wanted to tweak himself), so I imagine I have a fair amount of stitching in that area!

sarz

#10 Post by sarz »

My nose has widened significantly, It takes some getting used to but I feel that it tends to fit my face better now!

VikingGirl

#11 Post by VikingGirl »

My nose looks very differently throughout the day. In the morning it's too big and swollen, but I kinda like it in the evening. I'm 3 mnths post op, but I really do consider getting it fixed next year. I'm tired of not liking my face ;)

sarz

#12 Post by sarz »

On reflection; my nose is now massive! Had identification photos for work taken today and compared them to my old ones. Not a good look!
Soooooo going to pay out for rhinoplasty when all is done!!!

Neverloved

#13 Post by Neverloved »

Is there anything that can be done to prevent these changes? I definitely don't need a wider nose. :cry:

VikingGirl

#14 Post by VikingGirl »

Neverloved wrote:Is there anything that can be done to prevent these changes? I definitely don't need a wider nose. :cry:
'

They'll probably do something called "alar stitch", but you should bring up your concerns :) Sometimes your nose may end up really suiting your "new face" though!

VikingGirl

#15 Post by VikingGirl »

Though, they took all the necessary precautions with me and I still ended up with a very wide up-turned nose, when I before had a very pretty, though just slightly Miss Piggy nose 8)