noise, pain in jaw 9 months post op

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

candycin

noise, pain in jaw 9 months post op

#1 Post by candycin »

SO i am 9 months post op and lately i have a grindy type noise in my jaw that i can hear when i chew or talk sometimes and once in a while it hurts.
if anyone has a knee that grinds when you bend down it feels like that....is it normal to still have these issues this far after surgery? it kind of scares me....could it mean screws are moving? or is the bone still healing...any input would be greatly appreciated before i make a trip to the surgeon for nothing...

uoft28

#2 Post by uoft28 »

According to my doctor, by month 4 the bones are regenerated to a point that they don’t depend on the screws anymore. In other words they are almost 100% healed. So by the ninth month the screws moving should not be the cause of what you’re describing.

I suffered with a lot of that up to the third month, and had elastics put my ortho so my lower jaw would move back to the right (it was naturally moving to the right and causing the noise, pain, soreness you describe).

I don’t think it is cause to worry, but would definitely touch base with my surgeon, just in case.

mountaingirl

#3 Post by mountaingirl »

I had TMJ grinding, clicking, popping and pain on the left side and had surgery to correct it. Post surgery the left side was fine, but then I had grinding and clicking on the right side so my surgeon and ortho have me in elastics. I've also started TMJ physio. It's not as bad now, but it's still there. My jaw wasn't going in the right place. Not sure that it's 100% right yet either. I'd get it checked out.
Upper segment and lower jaw advancement on June 23, 2010.

candycin

#4 Post by candycin »

thanks for the comments
today it has been pretty good so maybe just over used my jaw
i will wait and see if it gets bad again and call my OT

candycin

#5 Post by candycin »

i cant be put back in elastics as i was debraced in july
it hasnt been as bad lately but still a achy and the grindy noise is annoying
i also still get some swelling on that side inside my mouth...guess when they say 1 year recovery they mean it!!!

candycin

#6 Post by candycin »

well i thought it was getting better but not so much anymore think i will call the OS on monday and try to get in there ...i hear lots of creaky noises when i open and chew and i am sore...all on my left side and some days i am actually swollen ....man i am now freaking out!!! i am 10 months post op and am tired of feeling pain and want to go back to normal...grrrr