Soft foods post-op?

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

WiredRunner

Soft foods post-op?

#1 Post by WiredRunner »

Has anyone been told that they can eat soft foods immediately following surgery? My surgeon told me I can eat anything that I can easily cut with a fork which I found odd. The norm seems to be liquid diet for a week or so, then on to soft foods once everything checks out.

He also told me that I can't run or exercise for six weeks. I asked him why and he basically said he doesn't want me getting hurt and doesn't want my blood pressure getting too high (he mentioned "bleeding" and "nose bleeds"). Can anyone shed some light on these?
Braced December 14, 2009
Debraced November 9, 2011

charlsie142

#2 Post by charlsie142 »

I would say I was on a VERY soft diet at first...like mashed potatoes with gravy, applesauce, blended soups, etc. I couldn't have anything with milk (unless it was processed, like ensure, boost, etc) for the first few days I remember as well. Then after a couple of weeks I could do soft chew, like shredded chicken, pancakes, etc. I usually tried to rely on common sense when choosing what to eat, and if anything didn't feel right, I stopped eating it.

As far as exercise, my surgeon said 2 weeks for most stuff, and to just be prepared to not be able to do as much as I'd like. After 3 weeks he told me I could lift weights, do yoga, just about anything I wanted that didn't risk me hitting my face. The thing is that in your mind you'll be ready, but your body just can't do what you want it to (which is really frustrating). You'll definitely be able to get out and walk soon after surgery. Just be sure to take someone with you until you're more sure of what you can do (usually you don't learn you've done too much until it's too late). It wasn't until about 6-8 weeks out that I really was able to feel "normal" and do things like I could pre-surgery. The awesome thing is that you'll likely be able to breathe better after surgery (if you have upper jaw surgery), so you'll be able to do more once you're healed. I did get quite a lot of nose bleeds early in my recovery..usually when I had done too much (I'm stubborn and didn't like someone constantly taking care of me...:) ). It's best to follow your surgeon's recommendations and ease back into things when you are cleared for exercise.

Because you'll be eating more normally right out of surgery, your recovery with likely go a lot smoother than some you read about on here. Having enough calories and nutrition to heal makes such a difference in your mood and how you recover...so congrats on that!

Hope this helps!
Four premolars extracted 12/29/2008
Braced 1/12/2009
Lefort I (upper jaw moved up 5mm) and BSSO (lower jaw lengthened by 7mm) on May 11, 2010

bb

#3 Post by bb »

I avoided anything with seeds eg. strawberries, blueberries, and anything that could get stuck in my teeth like blended broccoli. I found cheese very sticky also and difficult to clean off. If anything gets stuck in there it will get very odorous!

I stuck to liquified scrambled eggs, applesauce, soup broth, mashed potatoes and gravy, yogurt, cream of wheat, V8 and fruit juices.

WiredRunner

#4 Post by WiredRunner »

I feel much better knowing others have been on soft foods right after surgery. I'll definitely be playing it safe for the first week or so with mostly pureed foods and then go from there based on how I feel.

charlsie142 wrote:Because you'll be eating more normally right out of surgery, your recovery with likely go a lot smoother than some you read about on here. Having enough calories and nutrition to heal makes such a difference in your mood and how you recover...so congrats on that!
I didn't even think about it this way but that makes a lot of sense. I know the first few days are usually awful so hopefully this will make a difference. :)
Braced December 14, 2009
Debraced November 9, 2011