Impacted Canine Extraction

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Manda

#16 Post by Manda »

Loop, thanks for the reassurance, I definately needed it! I am not so worried no, I'll give it more time. I woke up this morning, and a few of my teeth are feeling better already, but my front teeth are still a bit weird feeling.

One of my stitches came out last night...I thought "Oh no...not so soon, its only been less than a week!" They are such a comfort to me, but I've gotten over it now. There was no bleeding, and it seems to be healing up quite well. Although the roof of my mouth still feels weird, like when i put pressure on it with my tongue, its a dull sort of pain but doesn't really hurt. It is a bit of a lump almost, raised more than the other side. I'm assuming its still swollen as that was the main area of the surgery.

How is your progress coming along? Your surgery was a lot more indepth than mine, I only had the one canine out, whereas you had both, and another tooth I believe? So I can imagine you needing more time off to recover. Best of luck!

mommak8

cainine

#17 Post by mommak8 »

I know, too funny - we're mirror images!

Thanks for the compliments on my teeth - I still have a long ways to go, about another year and a half in the braces, then the veneers and all the reshaping. My ortho said in the next visit or so he is going to do a little light reshaping on my two front incisors just to level them out a bit, I'm even excited for that.

That is the great thing about braces - even though you obsess about being self-concious in them, once you have them on and your teeth start looking better you actually feel BETTER about your smile than you did before - metal and all.

You are lucky that you won't have that long in braces once all is said and done. You'll look great!
Braced 11/16/2004 Ceramic uppers, Metal lowers, one extraction. Serious midline discrepency, open bite, cross bite, crowding.

Loop

#18 Post by Loop »

Manda wrote:One of my stitches came out last night...I thought "Oh no...not so soon, its only been less than a week!" They are such a comfort to me, but I've gotten over it now.
I felt the exact same thing. They offered to take my stiches out a week later but I declined because it felt like it was holding it all together. A few days later, I wish I'd taken them up on that offer because I couldn't stop playing with the ones in the roof of my mouth with my tongue.
How is your progress coming along? Your surgery was a lot more indepth than mine, I only had the one canine out, whereas you had both, and another tooth I believe? So I can imagine you needing more time off to recover. Best of luck!
I had 5 teeth out in all! They took out my baby canines which were still in place and a lateral incisor from the bottom aswell as the impacted canines. I would say my mouth feels pretty much back to normal now but I still feel a bit weird from the general anaesthetic. I don't have much energy and am having trouble concentrating in work. Someone told me for every hour you're under, it takes a month to work it out your system so I'm sure I'll be back to normal soon.

Manda

#19 Post by Manda »

You're right Loop, the stitches are quite annoying. I'm now happy to say that mine have all fallen out except one. I am also excited that my mouth is starting to feel normal once again. Ever since the extraction, there has been a lump where the tooth was (I'm assuming it was just swollen). Magically, just now, I was sitting here surfing through this site, and all of a sudden I realized that it is no longer swollen...there is no lump at all!! I am soo pleased with my recovery so far. My teeth still feel a bit weird, but I'm sure with time it will get better.

I know what you mean about general anestesia, I had it when I got my wisdom teeth out almost two years ago...it took me over 2 weeks to feel like myself again. I remember feeling "blah" all the time. Hope you're feeling better soon!

I was just curious when you will be getting your braces? I am getting my spacers on May 10th, and then the braces come on May 17th. I am so excited about this, even more so now that I know you guys will be going through the same situation as myself around the same time. Such a great support group!! "Lean on me...when you're not strong, I'll be your friend..." :rawk: