Just Got Braced Yesterday. Surgery in 2011 sometime.

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Catwmn

Just Got Braced Yesterday. Surgery in 2011 sometime.

#1 Post by Catwmn »

Hello all, My name is Catherine and I am 34 years old. I have had horrible teeth for my entire life and finally decided after almost dying from a root canal gone horribly wrong to do something about it.

In November of last year I had a root canal done on a lower left molar. That tooth continually swelled up my jaw and caused horrible pain repeatedly until April. The dentist always assured me that this was normal and not to worry. In April of this year I woke up and my entire left side of my face and throat were swollen. I could hardly breathe and I was in the most excruciating pain I have ever had in my life.

My husband rushed me to the ER who immediately did a CT scan and placed me on Morphine and very strong IV antibiotics. I had severe Sepsis and they were concerned about my heart. The swelling had come very close to closing off my airway. They told me if I had not come in to see them that day I could have died within a day or two more.

The dentist I was seeing took no responsibility despite the fact that the CT scan showed clearly that I had a massive infection in the tooth he had root canaled that had spread into my left jaw bone. After I left the hospital and went to see him again he simply wrote me a check for the money I paid him for the root canal and told me that I needed to find a new dentist. He would not see me again.

Well, I did find another dentist. A wonderful and caring dentist who has totally changed the game for me.

I had other dentists in the past mention that they thought I needed jaw surgery, but I always blew them off. I have suffered since my teenage years with TMJ and snoring and sleep apnea. I never made the connection of the jaw issues with the sleep apnea until my dentist mentioned it to me.

He sent me to an oral surgeon to get my wisdom teeth removed as well as that offending tooth that had the bad root canal in it, and also for a consultation for jaw surgery to see what he said.

I had all 3 horizontally impacted wisdom teeth removed in April, and had my consultation for surgery. He said DEFINITELY he thought surgery would do wonders for me. I have A class 3 malocclusion with a severe over bite. My top teeth jut out from my jaw to go over my lower teeth. My lower jaw is shorter than the top jaw which gives me a recessed chin. My surgeon thinks that braces can fix the upper issue and surgery for the lower jaw would fix the rest. He has also suggested Genioplasty.

So, in May after healing from my extractions I had Scaling and Root planing done for my periodontal issues, and had several cavities filled. I had a consult with an orthodontist who said that due to the fact that I have a bridge of 8 teeth on the top front she will not put top braces on me until right before surgery because I will only have surgical hooks on the top. On the bottom I will have standard metal braces.

Last week I went and had my molar spacers put in. What an awful experience that was. Yesterday I had them taken out and got my lower braces put on.

Today my teeth are SORE. Especially the ones that have the molar bands on them. Something is tearing into my tongue pretty bad.

Also, she made these little hills of material on my upper molars to keep my molars from touching on the top and bottom. This way my mouth doesn't close fully because my upper teeth were hitting my bottom brackets. Has anyone else had this? It essentially makes it impossible to eat real food since you can't chew if your molars dont touch. It's very frustrating!

Anyways, I am going to be around here for awhile. My ortho says I have at least a year in braces before surgery, maybe longer.

I just hope this gets better because I am so tired of the pain and being hungry already. :-(

Cat

lfwood

#2 Post by lfwood »

Hi Catherine and welcome.

You have made the hardest step and that is getting started. You are well on your way now and it will be over in no time and the results will be amazing.

I am 34 and am only a few months off finishing my treatment. I was braced as a young teenager, but due to my weak chin my teeth regressed.

I had lower advancement surgery in january this year. It was hard but you soon forget.

It will take a little while for your teeth you calm down from the pain, but you get used to eating softer food. I even had some of those shake replacement meals or soups to make it easier. Don't be afriad to take some painkillers too.

Anyway, just thought I would wish you well on your journey. :D

Braces 1st time 1986-1989
Braces 2nd time - January 2009
Lower Jaw Surgery (Advance)- January 14 2010

Catwmn

#3 Post by Catwmn »

So does anyone know what these blue hills of material are that she put on my upper molars? They seem to be keeping me from closing my mouth all the way, therefore it is now impossible to chew and eat food since my mouth doesn't close all the way. My upper teeth before she put these on came down over my lower brackets and hit them. This is to keep them off of the brackets on the lower teeth, but my main concern is that I am going to starve to death if these little hills are there for the full 2 years of braces! I can't go that long without chewing and eating real food! I'm kind of in a panic about this because they are also tearing up my tongue. They are kind of rough on the sides and when I talk my tongue hits them and it has worn a sore spot on my tongue. :-(

OzzysMom

#4 Post by OzzysMom »

Welcome! I'm not sure what you mean by "blue hills" but my molar bands all had/have extra protrusions on them both on the inside and outside of each band. I don't know the exact details but I was told they use them when they know you are a surgical case.

I know what you mean by your tongue being torn up. I never and I mean never, got used to the bottom ones. Your tongue should get tough(kinda like having callouses) after awhile. In the meantime, stock up on wax(I would easily go through 2 packs a week) and try to enjoy some nice smoothies.

Best wishes on your journey!
October 8, 2008 Lefort1(6mm impaction), BSSO, Genioplasty, Turbinectomies, Partial septoplasty, gum recontoring

charlsie142

#5 Post by charlsie142 »

If you go to the Metal Mouth forum, you'll read a lot about those...I believe they are called molar build-ups and/or bite turbos. Not sure about the last name. I never had them, but they are there to keep you from knocking your bottom brackets off, just like you suspected.

Hope this helps!
Four premolars extracted 12/29/2008
Braced 1/12/2009
Lefort I (upper jaw moved up 5mm) and BSSO (lower jaw lengthened by 7mm) on May 11, 2010

schwin

#6 Post by schwin »

Welcome to the club. I got mine on 2 weeks ago in preparation for lower jaw set back. It took me over a week to adjust due to my already abnormal bite. Hang in there, it is much better for me right now.

Chefflaco88

#7 Post by Chefflaco88 »

Welcome Catherine and congratulations on your decision to have jaw surgery. I am 10 days post op from upper & lower jaw advancement surgery to treat sleep apnea. My surgery nearly doubled the size of my airway so I am hopeful for a cure of my sleep apnea. Good luck with your treatment.

Upper & Lower Jaw Advancement Surgery & Genioglossus Advancement June 28, 2010

Catwmn

#8 Post by Catwmn »

Thanks everybody! I hope that this all settles down soon. My mouth hurts so bad today and everything is torn up. I am so HUNGRY and really want to eat something. :-(
Catherine
35 years old and blissfully married mother of 3 boys.
Braced on lower arch July 7th 2010
Upper Braces Feb 2011
Surgery likely Summer 2011.
http://www.catscranium.com

geordie999

#9 Post by geordie999 »

I was braced two weeks ago today about a month after a 2-piece le fort I. The first week with braces on was pretty miserable - my teeth ached and the inside of my cheeks were being poked and rubbed in very annoying and painful ways. My wire was also poking out the back and would catch on my cheeks. But after about a week everything began to settle down and the rubbing of the brackets didn't really hurt any more. Anyway, I sheepishly went back to my ortho to see if they could do anything about the pokey wire and they were more than happy to clip of the bits of excess wire off - which made a huge difference. They even told me that if anything felt strange or if I just wanted to check on something then I should stop by any time. Good luck with the braces and the surgery.

bb

#10 Post by bb »

Isn't it nice to know that something can be done about your bite! And even better to realize that actually getting it done!!

SuperJet

#11 Post by SuperJet »

Dont worry, time goes by fast. I have been in braces for over 3 years this May. About to get them off in 2 months. I cant wait. I had lower jaw advancement last Oct 1. I look and feel much better.
Braces since May of 07
Lower Jaw advancement Surgery Oct 1!!

Rizzie

#12 Post by Rizzie »

Hi Catherine,

I'll be having upper and lower surgery sometime in 2011 as well. I've been told it could be as early as next spring, but I know that it is hard to predict this early in treatment.

Sounds like you have really been through it!!! I hope things have settled down for you. I got my braces 10 days ago, and the soreness has improved a lot.

Take heart, we will presevere!