Supplements?

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

WiredRunner

Supplements?

#1 Post by WiredRunner »

So my surgery is July 27th and I've been wondering about supplements. Has anyone had any luck with specific ones? I've seen mention of things like Bromelain tablets (for swelling), L-Glutamine, Omega-3 fish oil, etc in addition to a daily multivitamin. Do any of these help in your experience or is it just overkill?
Braced December 14, 2009
Debraced November 9, 2011

Audra

#2 Post by Audra »

Well bromelain does help with swelling (I used it when I had ACL reconstruction in my left knee), but right after the surgery I could not open my mouth to take any tablets or capsules so had to wait around 2 weeks until I could open my mouth enough to take anything like that.

If you do take bromelain it works best if you take 1000mg 3x/day.

What worked better for me was a product called vitalzym as it digests scar tissue as well as reducing inflammation.

charlsie142

#3 Post by charlsie142 »

I second bromelain...and I didn't start taking it until week 2 either. I also used Arnica gel when I massaged my jaw muscles, and I really believe it helped reduce the bruising that can come from this surgery.

I bought ginger root to help with any nausea per my surgeon's recommendation...didn't really use it because I had prescription anti-nausea meds though.

That's really all I used...mostly I relied keeping ice on as much as I could the first 48 hours and then on warm, moist heat and gentle massage (per surgeon's orders) after the first 48 hours, and that helped with ROM, numbness, and swelling a lot.

Hope this helps!
Four premolars extracted 12/29/2008
Braced 1/12/2009
Lefort I (upper jaw moved up 5mm) and BSSO (lower jaw lengthened by 7mm) on May 11, 2010

WiredRunner

#4 Post by WiredRunner »

Thank you both! My pre-op appointment is on Monday so I plan to put a list of supplements together to run by my surgeon. :)
Braced December 14, 2009

charlsie142

#5 Post by charlsie142 »

Another thing I wish I had gotten sooner was a probiotic. Being on antibiotics so long and at such a high dose along with the normal side effects of anesthesia/pain meds wreaked havoc on my digestive system! You may want to plan ahead for constipation, just to be safe... I know it's not something that you want to think about but it's a common post-op complaint.
Four premolars extracted 12/29/2008
Braced 1/12/2009
Lefort I (upper jaw moved up 5mm) and BSSO (lower jaw lengthened by 7mm) on May 11, 2010

WiredRunner

#6 Post by WiredRunner »

I was actually just wondering about that so I'm glad you brought it up. ;)

Audra - just noticed your new ticker ... congrats on your debracing date!
Braced December 14, 2009

Audra

#7 Post by Audra »

Thanks Wiredrunner. I'm very excited to get rid of these things. I have a big bag of jelly beans to celebrate with :)