numbness and low level laser therapy

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

bb

numbness and low level laser therapy

#1 Post by bb »

Anyone hear of this?

This study demonstrates that neurosensory recovery after bilateral sagittal split osteotomy procedures can be significantly improved, both in terms of time course and magnitude of return of function, with the adjunctive use of LLL therapy.
http://linkinghub.elsevier.com/retrieve ... 0400800062

qwertz1

#2 Post by qwertz1 »

thanks for the link, can you provide a link describing that treatmeant?

but...SIX PATIENTS? and not even compared to a control group but to previously published values?
that's no study at all. I remember when I was researching the surgery that I could find HUGE discrepancies between different studies in terms of recovery from numbness.
numbness can hardly be measured objectively and they didn't even bother to use their test on another 6 patients who didn't receive this treatment?!

bb

#3 Post by bb »

Hmmm, you're right, 6 patients does not a study make!
I was interested to see if anyone had tried this and if it made a difference to their numbness.

I've read a few blogs where people have had dramatic success with acupuncture.

Audra

#4 Post by Audra »

From what you've read, at what point do people start acupuncture for the numbness?

bb

#5 Post by bb »

From what I've read and from 2 acupuncturists, you are supposed to start as soon as possible after surgery i.e. weeks not months.

I started mine, and he is starting with my hands and arm, then the next appt my hands and shoulders and very gradually he'll get to my face and chin.

I go once a week.

Audra

#6 Post by Audra »

I'm going to try it as soon as I get back to work. There's one upstairs in the building that I work in.

sgguy

#7 Post by sgguy »

Acupuncture works to improve numbness? is it really effective? if it is i might give it a shot here ... but how much does it cost?

qwertz1

#8 Post by qwertz1 »

you won't get an objective answer to that. acupuncture isn't proven to be effective for anything.

bb

#9 Post by bb »

I wouldn't say it works on everyone and it may not work on me. I have a medical background so I am going into this quite skeptical with the attitude that it doesn't hurt to try it.

I pay $39 per visit (1xwk) to an accupunturist / naturopath in Chinatown.

He has many, many diplomas from McMaster's University and that eases my skepticism a bit.

bb

#10 Post by bb »

I'm in my 40's so I don't heal as fast as you younger people- I can use all the help I can get!!

Audra

#11 Post by Audra »

I have always had a leaning towards alternative medicine, the reasons for which would create a huge story here that no one wants to read.

In my viewpoint, just because something is not "proven" to work does not mean that it doesn't work for some people.

I also am in my 40's and while I'm pretty healthy, I was told my recovery would take longer. I can also use all the help I can get. So, if I can afford it, I don't see an issue.

sgguy

#12 Post by sgguy »

Hi,

anyone has tried anything here to share ?
I've been asking for acupunture in my area (singapore) .. there are plenty given it's an asian country.. but i heard it hurts a bit and i'm not sure if it'll really work... maybe cranio sacral therapy might? but i don't know of anyone who does that work in my area.. maybe i'd find out more first.. :roll:

sgguy

#13 Post by sgguy »

sgguy wrote:Hi,

anyone has tried anything here to share ?
I've been asking for acupunture in my area (singapore) .. there are plenty given it's an asian country.. but i heard it hurts a bit and i'm not sure if it'll really work... maybe cranio sacral therapy might? but i don't know of anyone who does that work in my area.. maybe i'd find out more first.. :roll:
I've checked.. one session is abt $125 !! tt's quite expensive !! given it's jus rubbing and massaging ...

bb

#14 Post by bb »

It's $85 here but is considered physio so it's covered by medical plans.