Update - I have answers!

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

mp921

Update - I have answers!

#1 Post by mp921 »

Thanks to everyone who encouraged me to meet with my orthodontist to discuss my case and concerns. Well, it's official. I've had a jaw shift. The bones are fine...no bone shift. But nature took it's course and wasn't lenient in my case. The joints/muscles/ligs and whatever else holding my jaw have finally settled and this is where they saw fit to land. A jaw shifted to the right and I know have a "canted" jaw. I'm happy to have answers and have my concerns validated.

My orthodontist has been waiting for my muscle spasms to completely stop and for my TMJs to stop hurting. Since everything has settled down and I'm in no pain, he believes things have finally settled. And unfortunately it wasn't where they intended, but it is what it is. Now he can begin working on the canted jaw.

Ultimately he believes, with my complete cooperation, that he can level everything out and produce something I'll be happy with. The bummer is that there is nothing he can do about my midline. He can work on it, but it will always be off several mm's now. I'm okay with that as long as everything else is leveled out! And he assured me that if things don't go as planned and he sees that he isn't going to be able to correct things as he hopes, he'll let me know that a referral back to the surgeon is necessary.

I explained to him that I had no idea things like this would happen and cause an unfavorable result. No one explains the possible complications. My mouth looked perfect right after surgery. He said he uses the "6 month mark" after surgery before he judges the final result of a surgery. To him, it doesn't matter that it's perfect right away because it can change in the months to come. He chooses not to tell patients about this in advance because it causes unnecessary worry in most. Not all cases turn out like mine. You just never know. Something to be aware of...because I wasn't and I've had a range of emotions over the last 6 months in dealing with this.

I'm one of 1,000 patients he has referred for jaw surgery and I'm 1 of 5 of those 1,000 that has developed infection. He said he never would have expected that to happen to me! He also never would have expected me to have a plate removed. Just as he's had a patient break a titanium plate.

Again, thanks for listening to all of my whining and all of the posting of concerns with how unfavorable my surgery turned out over the past few months. Now I have answers and I know what happened in my case. There isn't anything I can do about it so I'm going to stay positive and work closely with my Orthodontist and hopefully in the end it will all be worth it and we can avoid another lower jaw surgery. Be on the lookout for progression pictures over the next few months as this should be interesting! :wink:

And if anyone has had to deal with a canted jaw (I have to google this because I've never heard of it) and wouldn't mind sharing their story, please PM me. Thanks!
Braced 2nd Time: May 2008
Lower Jaw Advancement Surgery (BSSO): August 2009
One Miniplate & Four Screws Removed: October 2009

OhioM

#2 Post by OhioM »

So glad you have an opinion that you can trust and that there is a plan to get your jaw on track to complete healing! I can sympathize with the constant emotional ups and downs of recovery - every little pain and strange symptom could mean disaster! or non-union! or infection! I'm totally going through that at 5 weeks post op, and I hope I can calm down and appear rational at my 6 week appt on Tuesday.
Recovering from Lefort 1 (5.5 mm impaction) with genio (6 mm) 1/20/10

blindboarder2008
Location: in a house that has 4 walls, with lots of rooms!!! in Canada!

#3 Post by blindboarder2008 »

so glad you got answers! that must put you a bit at ease knowing what is going on and what they can do for you!!!! Here hoping the proposed treatment works out for you!!! Unfortunately its true, there are a few cases in which things dont go as planned but with time things can be fixed around!
Braced: March 19th 2008
Impacted wisdom teeth extraction surgery: June 20th 2008 1pm (13 hours of fasting)
Jaw surgery (upper and lower)Lefort 1 with Madable Advancement: June 2nd 2009 @8am!!!! 1 surgery down 2 surgeries to go!!
debrace day: jan 18th 2010!!!! *has 2 fixed retainers and an essix retainer for night time now!

mp921

#4 Post by mp921 »

Thanks blindboarder!!

Ohio, the emotional aspect of recovery is very difficult. I had read about it prior to surgery but how do you really prepare for it? I don't think you can. I hope everything turns out well in your case.

This afternoon I started the "what-ifs." What if I hadn't had the infection so early on. What if my muscles hadn't decided to act up and spasm for 2 months!! But my biggest what-if was wondering if I had worn a splint after surgery if it would have helped hold my jaw in place while everything settled and calmed down. I don't know if that's even rational. And I quickly realized it won't do me any good to wonder. It is what it is and I have to stay positive hoping for a decent final result. I trust my orthodontist will make the best of what he's now working with. That doesn't mean it will work out, but I trust he'll do his best.

And anyone reading this and worried about your result, remember... I had a very severe infection develop on both sides about 4-5 days after surgery (very RARE) and ultimately had to have a plate removed at 9 weeks post-op because of the screws not setting in. But my bones have healed just fine! My jaw shift has nothing to do with the bones. My surgeon reviewed today's xray with me and showed me how solid my bones are now. Atleast I received that bit of good news. :wink:

Smurfy1975

#5 Post by Smurfy1975 »

Gosh, I feel for you! I have never heard of a canted jaw before. After all the trouble of braces, surgery, recovery etc are you willing to accept your midline being a few mm off? or is it not very noticeable?

mp921

#6 Post by mp921 »

It's noticeable right now because my jaw is slanted. My orthodontist doesn't think it will bother me once everything is straight and in line but I guess we'll see. :)

trish222

#7 Post by trish222 »

mp921,
glad you are feeling better about your consultation. I have had some post-op bumps as well and know exactly where you are coming from. I agree with not wasting time on the what-ifs. I have found solace in trying to find the silver-linings and knowing that a good year needs to be invested in this process. I'm at 7 months post-op and still braced with little rom in jaw area. I'm keeping you in my prayers and I know we will be satisfied at all of our hard work in the end. There are no short cuts to anywhere worth going!

chicago29

#8 Post by chicago29 »

mp921,

Glad you got some answers...that has to be a relief. I hope things work out for you, and I'm willing to bet they will!

Also, I know all of us want perfection. We feel we deserve it for all we go through. However, a mid-line that is off is something that NOBODY is ever going to notice. The only people that notice such things are the crazies like us that obsess about jaws and teeth :D

I can almost promise you that. So, I know how you feel, but in the end you're going to have a great result!

Take Care
Chicago29

mp921

#9 Post by mp921 »

I felt better last week when my orthodontist told me that nothing "happened" per se to cause this other than my muscles & joints settling in an unfavorable position causing the canted jaw. However, since meeting with him I received a message from a girl here that also developed a canted jaw during orthodontic treatment, but has never had surgery! A light went off in my head, and I started suspecting that my orthodontist did something wrong again.

It's called a canted lower incisal plane. I'm finding cases on the internet presented by orthodontists. The end results look good. But I've read that this can occur during orthodontic treatment alone as a result of the orthodontist "losing control".

I'm glad to know he *thinks* he can fix it, and I'm okay with not having straight midlines. I just wish I knew the truth! Result of surgery or did orthodontist mess up at 5 weeks post-op when he took over? Frustration! And now I'm looking at having braces for 18-20 months post-surgery when it was only supposed to be 8 months post-surgery. Oh well, what can you do? :?