more surgery questions

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

bb

more surgery questions

#1 Post by bb »

I've found the previous surgery Q & A extremely helpful - thanks so very much to those who took the time to answer.

Now, I hope you don't mind answering a few questions that I have!

1. How long did you have to leave the elastics on?

2. How long before you could use a straw?

3. How long before you could talk, smile, laugh?

4. How long did you need to keep taking your pain meds at home?

5. Did you get sleep medication to help you sleep at night?

6. How long before you could start exercising again?

7. Most annoying thing post-Op...

jdon

#2 Post by jdon »

1. 24/7, except for eating
2. Don't know how soon I could've done it but the first time I tried was after about a month and it was fine.
3. Talking was a bit difficult at first, and then I had to be placed on breathing tubes so I didn't really talk much until after the first week or so. Smiling and laughing were a bit difficult at first too but became a lot easier after about 2-3 weeks for me, after my face learned how to smile again.
4. I didn't take any pain meds at home, but I was in the hospital for 8 days and they gave me morphine quite often there and switched me off to something else after like the 5th day.
5. Yes, I was given Ativan to sleep at night, although I wouldn't recommend using sleep medication unless you need to, to avoid getting addicted to it.
6. At about 5-6 weeks in for me, I felt okay to start doing light exercise like riding a stationary bike.
7. Most annoying thing post-op: injuries and stuff to other parts of my body that happened in the hospital and from lack of nutrition.. still trying to get through these. Jaw related though, probably the desire to eat something more substantial and having to eat liquid food like every hour to feel full.

bb

#3 Post by bb »

Thanks! Very helpful :)

srs

#4 Post by srs »

1. Heavy duty bands - 6 days Elastics - 9 weeks
2. I never did use a straw, drank straight from the cup starting on first postop day
3. Talk, right away, smile and laugh took a while, about 2 weeks or so when the swelling got better
4. The prescribed pain (liquid) took it for two days and then took plain ibuprofen
5. No
6. I am not one for exercising, so can't answer that.....
7. The splint, hard to clean, stuff got stuck in it, not fun, but tolerable

chicago29

#5 Post by chicago29 »

@jdon: Why were you in the hospital 8 days? That's a ridiculously long time. Are you in the US or another country? The reason I ask is because for an American hospital (or should I say an American insurance company) to keep you that long, you must have had a pretty serious complication(s).

I know you had a bi-max (and maybe a genio) back in early December if I recall. I can't seem to find your thread and now that I think about it I don't remember posting on it.

So, I totally apologize for missing your surgery thread. Clearly you're OK and here telling us your story, so that's great and I owe you a very belated "congratulations on making it to the other side"! I hope your recovery has been at least bearable.

Take Care
Chicago29

bb

#6 Post by bb »

jdon wrote:injuries and stuff to other parts of my body that happened in the hospital and from lack of nutrition.. still trying to get through these.
Sounds worriesome :-(

ORTHO12

#7 Post by ORTHO12 »

I had that lack of nutrition too was diagnosed with severe malnutrition...didnt realise how much it damages your body because I've never really been a person to watch what I eat or eat at set times but I certainly did enjoy eating and have never been underweight before.

Your body becomes weak and starts wearing away as in muscles weaken and shrink, I didnt even notice until I had a pic taken post op by the surgeon and was told I look ill.

Post op...Eat like you're eating for 10!! or should I say drink like you're drinking for 10..it's the most important thing :D

Ensure, complan, milk, eggs, cheese, soup, yoghurt, anything that provides nutrition, not necessarily fat.

jdon

#8 Post by jdon »

@chicago 29: I'm living in Canada. I was expected to stay in the hospital for only 2 nights, which I think is pretty standard for the bi-max (does that mean upper and lower? I assume it does =P) + genio. On the second night I had a blood vessel under my tongue burst and so I had to be put on breathing tubes... and thats basically why I had to stay in the hospital for so long. I guess the worst part of recovering in the hospital was that I didn't get to eat or drink much because of the breathing tubes down my throat.

After I had them removed it was much more bearable! I think the rest of the recovery went pretty smoothly. Thanks for the belated congratulations :)!

@bb: I don't think you have to worry! One of my injuries came from being catheterized while I was on the breathing tubes.... the other came from favouring my left hand too much because I have a pre-existing injury to my right hand, so I think I've developed some kind of tendonitis there. So you should be okay in this department! Make sure you get adequate nutrition as ORTHO12 mentioned to avoid any injuries to the rest of your body!

bb

#9 Post by bb »

Good to know.
I was looking forward to dropping a few pounds while banded shut but I don't want to lose muscle mass that's for sure.