Surgery related dreams

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

OhioM

Surgery related dreams

#1 Post by OhioM »

I had the coolest dream the other night - seemed totally symbolic - hope it's not too boring to post!

I was walking around who knows where with this gigantic piece of sticky bubble gum in my mouth. There were all kinds of people from my past milling around and at one point I was in a classroom and we were all supposed to be reading. I was desperately wanting to spit the gum out and there wasn't a trash can or anything so I couldn't. I was trying to hide the fact that this HUGE piece of gum was in my mouth since it felt inappropriate and gross - I was trying not to drool, ect...After an eternity it seemed, I dashed out of the room, ran down a stairwell, and started clawing this hunk of sticky gum out of my mouth and then it was GONE.

Get it - the gum is the jaw deformity that will be hopefully fixed soon! Thank goodness I'm not dreaming of the actual surgery! Are other people dreaming about all this - please share!
Recovering from Lefort 1 (5.5 mm impaction) with genio (6 mm) 1/20/10

OzzysMom

#2 Post by OzzysMom »

That was a really cool dream...thanks for sharing :-))

I guess it means you are sooo ready for your big day!
October 8, 2008 Lefort1(6mm impaction), BSSO, Genioplasty, Turbinectomies, Partial septoplasty, gum recontoring

charlsie142

#3 Post by charlsie142 »

Ahh...it's good to know I'm not the only one having dreams about surgery. I've had several in the last year. Since my surgery date was set, I've had one, and it was something like this:

My surgery was really early in the morning, and I drove myself to the hospital since my parents hadn't arrived yet from out of state. They were supposed to have been there, though, and the nurses were worried that no one was there with me before surgery, so they asked what my parents' cell number was. For the life of me, I couldn't remember their phone number. Then, my OS comes in and asks if I'm ready, and says he's going to impact my maxilla by FOUR INCHES :shock: and then starts laughing, as he was only kidding.

I don't remember much after this, just that the whole dream was really strange. My boyfriend has since assured me there's no way I'm going to the hospital alone, and I plan to tell my OS about it at my pre-op appointment. :)

OzzysMom- I don't know about the OP, but I know I am DEFINITELY ready for surgery, so if that's what these weird dreams mean, then I guess I'm in for some strange nights. ;)
Four premolars extracted 12/29/2008
Braced 1/12/2009
Lefort I (upper jaw moved up 5mm) and BSSO (lower jaw lengthened by 7mm) on May 11, 2010

OhioM

#4 Post by OhioM »

charlsie - ha ha 4 inches!? It's good to hear that you're feeling ready for surgery 3 months out. You'll be so prepared!

theKurp

#5 Post by theKurp »

I don't think this quite qualifies but here goes.

I just had my surgery a week ago today and while in the recovery room and just coming to I could hear women talking about my "big pecs". One then asked me if I worked out (I do) but I was still too out of it to respond or to focus on faces. I also heard a voice exclaim that I have a really large bladder - no kidding, I really had to pee something fierce coming out of surgery.

Anyway, the next day when I relayed all of this to my girlfriend she insists that it was all a dream.

OhioM

#6 Post by OhioM »

Too funny, theKurp! How is your recovery going?

theKurp

#7 Post by theKurp »

OhioM wrote:Too funny, theKurp! How is your recovery going?
Well, since you asked...

Just returned from my second appt with the surgeon since the surgery. Screws came loose, everything fell apart, and now I'm wired shut for the next 5 weeks.

But other than that, just peachy. :)

ORTHO12

#8 Post by ORTHO12 »

@thekurp

You say it like it just happens lol....glad you're still upbeat but sorry to hear it "fell apart" wishing you a non eventful second attempt at recovery.

queenofoverbite

#9 Post by queenofoverbite »

I have this dream where something will be going back and forth back and forth.
Like something rocking or a swing swinging or a knife cutting.

And when I wake up, I am grinding my teeth TERRIBLY. Usually its someone else whos waking me up because I've woken them up. I guess I drag my lower jaw all the way from the very back to the very front pushed up against my uppers.

I'm so sick of waking up with jaw pain!
BSSO in Fall 2010!