6 months post op not happy. fat cheeks!

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

moswissa

6 months post op not happy. fat cheeks!

#1 Post by moswissa »

well im not as happy as i thought i would be. I like my new bite and everything and my surgeon told me the swelling has completely subsided but thats not true. I get commented by how fat my cheeks got and how one side is bigger than the other and its true! my surgeon does not know me personally thats why he cant evaluate my before and after profile. I also have these weird lines above my cheeks like that has not went away yet. Im not trying to discourage anyone from getting this surgery, please do but i guess everyone is different. has anyone had swelling last this long?

ReoSity

#2 Post by ReoSity »

post a picture, before and after.

trish222

#3 Post by trish222 »

Yup, 5 months post-op cheeks still a little swollen as is chin. I, did however have chin plate and 6 screws removed about 6 weeks ago-that is why I think chin is still swollen. I still have tingling and stiffness. I am starting physical therapy next week. Try to be patient-I know easier said than done but really, do we have any other choice. Happy New Year!

ORTHO12

#4 Post by ORTHO12 »

I'm 4 months post op and well I can't see my cheek bones anymore and there is just fat there (not saying I am fat, thats just a description for the skin there!!) but I know that is because they advanced my top jaw and waiting for swelling is not going to change anything for me.

I know this because I lost 1.5 stone 14kg and there is no fat on me so that is just the permanent position of my cheeks since the surgery and once I put the weight back I will probably have bigger cheeks too.

moswissa

#5 Post by moswissa »

I dont have any before and after pics at the moment but ill try and find some.

I want to know if its normal to be swollen 6 months post op, not noticeably swollen like a chip monk but not your normal facial size

ORTHO12

#6 Post by ORTHO12 »

Pictures would be best because you may not be swollen you may just have a new face shape and size.

If your face was made shorter or moved forward it will be permanently fuller.

But I do not know what you had done.

OzzysMom

#7 Post by OzzysMom »

I know how frustrating it is but seriously, give it a year or so. I noticed a lot of changes between the 6 month and 1-year mark. Even after a year, I still think I've got some slight swelling but nobody else knows it but me.

The other thing is that if you've had a maxillary impaction...there's gonna be some excess skin left over.
October 8, 2008 Lefort1(6mm impaction), BSSO, Genioplasty, Turbinectomies, Partial septoplasty, gum recontoring

moswissa

#8 Post by moswissa »

thanks for all the feedback guys, I also want to know about getting all this hardware removed. my surgeon never mentioned anything about this but i hear people talking about it here on the forums. There is this one screw on the side of my nose that pokes out and you can definitely feel it with a finger. it makes one side of my face look bigger and it gives me some impression marks around my mouth which is only also on one side. so whats up with that?

ORTHO12

#9 Post by ORTHO12 »

Everyone seems to have screws on the sides of their nose...Me on the other hand the screws are IN my nose as in inside my nostrils and they make my nose burn for four months now...I don't know why they are there either...not in terms of what they are for because I know that but in terms of why they are INSIDE my nose it's irritating.

I was told you can get them removed at 6 months especially if they are irritating you but it means going inside your face again...just not to cut bone this time so swelling is much less I heard.

moswissa

#10 Post by moswissa »

as long as my mouth does not have to be wired shut and be on a liquid diet i think i can manage another surgery.