dry cracked lips

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

candycin

dry cracked lips

#1 Post by candycin »

i am just about 4 weeks post op and my lips are so sore and dry and cracked mostly in the corners,,,,over the counter lip balm seems to no lnoger be working since i needed it so much in the beginning after surgery....
anyone have any ideas?

crazybeautiful

#2 Post by crazybeautiful »

Try a general, softer petroleum jelly rather than a lip balm, as it will usually stay on longer and offer more protection because of the consistency of it. Like in vaseline in tub-form (or any cheap brand in tub form, as it works the same)
~SARME, Nov 2007. 10mm expansion

My blog: http://crazybeautifulsurgery.blogspot.com/

OzzysMom

#3 Post by OzzysMom »

I've found that anything that contains petroleum ultimately makes my lips drier in the long run.
For me, the balms that consist of natural oils work a lot better...such as Burt's Bees, or even better is Noah's Naturals(can buy it at wal-mart)
October 8, 2008 Lefort1(6mm impaction), BSSO, Genioplasty, Turbinectomies, Partial septoplasty, gum recontoring

boatsink

Bag Balm

#4 Post by boatsink »

This may sound a bit bizarre, but I found a lot of people (including myself) to use a product called, "Bag Balm" for chapped lips. The product is used for cow's teats to soothe sores, cracking, etc.

One of the nurses I work with purchased them at an animal feed store. However, you find them at pet stores, farm stores, hardware stores, and tack shops (in addition to the internet of course). It's almost like petroleum/vaseline, but it's slight less glossy and smooth. I actually prefer Bag Balm much more. Plus for 7.99, for 10 oz? It'll last years!

So the saying goings, "smooth as a baby's bottom". "My lips are as soft as a cow's teat". :shock:

boatsink

#5 Post by boatsink »

ops, corrected: Bag Balm is a petroleum jelly, in which the active ingredient is in.
:lol:

srs

#6 Post by srs »

I was given a lip balm that is used for people that undergo radiation therapy. It helped the most compared to others, but if I didn't apply it constantly I would end up with pieces of dry lip skin just hanging. Had to cut some off with scissors (gross I know, but better than pulling, which I did once and it hurt like %$(&)

HkyGrl s2k

#7 Post by HkyGrl s2k »

Carmex became my best friend after surgery.

crazybeautiful

#8 Post by crazybeautiful »

boatsink wrote:ops, corrected: Bag Balm is a petroleum jelly, in which the active ingredient is in.
:lol:
Aha! See, petroleum jelly for the win! :P

I think it's more effective in that you can just slap a load on and it will stay on for longer.
~SARME, Nov 2007. 10mm expansion

My blog: http://crazybeautifulsurgery.blogspot.com/

almost50

#9 Post by almost50 »

I've been using a product that I got at the local health food store called Unpetroleum Jelly. Just like the petroleum stuff but made with natural ingredients.

OzzysMom

#10 Post by OzzysMom »

Here is an article which advises shea butter for dry lips, and it explains why petroleum products can dry your lips more which may be the reason why the over the counter balms you've been using aren't working:
http://health.learninginfo.org/shea-butter.htm

Also, I haven't tried it yet, but castor oil is supposed to be the best remedy out there for dry lips.
October 8, 2008 Lefort1(6mm impaction), BSSO, Genioplasty, Turbinectomies, Partial septoplasty, gum recontoring

metalmouthmedic

#11 Post by metalmouthmedic »

Blistex. My lips are softer than they were before the operation!