I'm having double jaw surgery for $6600 including hospital

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

ElenaM

I'm having double jaw surgery for $6600 including hospital

#1 Post by ElenaM »

Double jaw surgery. Even the $15000 at Costa Rica was a lot for my family to bear so we investigated other options. My family is actually Serbian so my father looked into me getting it done there. Both my aunt and uncle independently asked around for an OS. My aunt works at a hospital and one of her colleagues recommended her a guy who teaches at a university. My uncle, after shopping around was also recommended the same person. I was pretty shocked at how low the price was but the surgeon does appear to be very qualified and he's apparently the best surgeon in the country (my relatives live in the capital). The price does make sense though. My aunt makes $1000 a she lives very comfortably. The cost of living is definitely lower there.

I know a lot of people on here struggle with insurance and payment so I just wanted to share my solution. I'll let you know how my surgery goes and how the care is. If all goes well, I think it's definitely a nice alternative to paying $40,000.

ElenaM

#2 Post by ElenaM »

Sorry for all the typos btw.

OzzysMom

#3 Post by OzzysMom »

Hope it works out for you.
The price is good but personally, I would not go unless I have spoken on the phone to a real patient who has had that same surgery by that surgeon. Emails don't count as it can be anybody.
Just my humble opinion when you are putting your life in their hands.
October 8, 2008 Lefort1(6mm impaction), BSSO, Genioplasty, Turbinectomies, Partial septoplasty, gum recontoring

loveyourself

#4 Post by loveyourself »

Wow that is incredible!! I am sorry if you already said this somewhere else but when are you getting your surgery? Looking forward to hearing how it goes! I hope it works beautifully for you! :D

ElenaM

#5 Post by ElenaM »

Well I'm done with surgery. I don't have a lot of time to share my experience right now but I'll get out what I can.

I had my surgery on Monday the 28th. I flew in on Saturday and I saw my OS for the first time the day before my surgery. I actually ended up only having to have my lower jaw done and I also opted for a genioplasty.

I'll post more later. I took a couple of grainy pics of my swollen face with my cellphone which I will upload when I get home on the 17th.

ORTHO12

#6 Post by ORTHO12 »

That was quick from 1st post to surgery!!

From double to single jaw...

Hope it all continues to go well.

ElenaM

#7 Post by ElenaM »

So I'm going back home on Sunday. To summarize my exerience.

The first few days are awful but it quickly gets better. The 3rd day is probably the worst. I got half an hour of sleep between the 2nd and 3rd days. The discomfort is pretty bad.

The day of the surgery wasn't bad. I checked in 2 and a half hours before my surgery and pretty much laid in a room waiting. My surgery took around 3 hours. I woke up around 4:30 (my surgery was sheduled at noon). I remember wanting nothing more than to go back to sleep. My uncle came in to see me (I came to Serbia alone) and then I slept for an additional 2 hours. I woke up feeling really sick. I proceeded to throw up all over one of the nurses' arms. It was really disturbing to see how much blood there was in my vomit (tmi I know). After that I felt a lot better. My uncle went home and I just watched t.v. for the rest of the evening. The nurses came in to check on me every hour or so. I threw up again later that night and was able to use the bathroom with the help of one of the nurses.

I'll post more later. I have to go.

ElenaM

#8 Post by ElenaM »

So to continue my experience...the second day was definitely worse than the first. I was able to drink some water on my own though. My throat hurt a lot, I found out later that was due to the anesthesia. The swelling was much worse on the second day and probably peaked on the 3rd. I have some pics of me 2 days post op and 4 days post op that I'll post as soon as I get home tomorrow. My face felt really gross as well. It was really moist and sticky.

I slept well the night after my surgery but the 4 or 5 days after that were brutal. I was lucky if I got 2 hours of sleep per night. Although I did manage to take short naps throughout the day. It's really hard to find a comfortable position to sleep in. To make it worse my aunt and uncle didn't let me take as many naps as I would have liked through out the day. They thought the reason I couldn't sleep at night was because I slept throughout the day. However, it's kind of hard to sleep upright especially in all of the discomfort I was in. I had one post op appointment 2 days after my surgery and the surgeon put in elastics.

By the 5th day things started getting better. It no longer hurt to swallow and I was able to down thicker liquids such as yogurt more easily. My aunt gave me some soup she put through the blender. One piece of advice I have for people who are pre op is to make sure you keep applying chap stick. I didn't think to bring any and my lips were completely chapped by the end of the 1st week.

On the 5th night I woke up to find myself on my side and I panicked when I saw blood on my pillow. My uncle called the surgeon. We already had an appointment scheduled the next day. It turned out one of my brackets had fallen off my back molar and it was pressing against the side of my cheek.

After the 5th day, my condition improved rapidly. I felt somewhat normal on the 7th day post op. I was even walking around almost dancing to Kesha's "tick tock" lol. I felt my energy levels improved a lot from day to day after the first week. I did feel really weak after standing for more than 2 minutes or so though. I was also able to get adequate amounts of sleep.

My surgeon actually OKed me to eat soft foods whenever I felt I was able to. I was able to eat some scrambled eggs on the 8th day. I spent much of the 2nd week eating soups, scrambled eggs, sardines and pretty much anything I could squish together with my tongue.

The left side of my jaw was lower than the right originally and more work had to be done on it I suppose. It was significantly more swollen than the right. Around the 8th or 9th day after my swelling had receded, I felt a hard lump in the left side of my jaw. I panicked, thinking it was a screw or something that had come lose. It was my first scare post op. It turned out to be a normal side effect of surgery. It has decreased significantly since then in size so I'm hoping it will go down completely soon.

About 16 days post op I was able to chew for the first time. Right now I'm 19 days post op and I can eat normally. I still can't eat something like steak but I can eat chicken and bread without a problem. I'm actually surprised at how fast my recovery was. I had gained over 5 pounds expected that I would lose it all and then some.

Reading through people's stories on here I'm shocked that some of you can still only soft chew at like 8 weeks. Then again I only had my lower jaw done (and genio). I guess my situation was quite mild too compared to that of others. My orthodontist was actually trying to convince me to try the non surgical route first because we had come so far with my bite.

I'm pretty happy with my bite. It feels nice to feel contact in the front and the back. I'm looking forward to my orthodontist appointment Wednesday. I'm glad it all worked out in the end. It would have been nice to have had a little vacation in Costa Rica but at least this way I could visit my relatives and save some money. The lower jaw and genio as well as the hospital ended up costing somewhere between 3700-3800 euros. I'm not sure how much that is in dollars and I can't be bothered to find a converter now.

One thing I'm still not completely satisfied with is my genioplasty. I feel like my chin, although smaller than before, is still rather large. When I told the surgeon that I was self-conscious about my chin I wasn't exactly clear about why. He told me that it was understandable and that he would bring it back and reduce it. I'm not sure whether he understood that I was self concious over the length. I wasn't really as clear on that as I should have been. He did do a great job however and I definitely look better than before. I guess I just had really high expectations. I have a long face and I think that's what bothers me more than my chin.

I really liked my surgeon. He was really friendly and I think he did a great job. He saw me 5 times in the 2 and a half weeks after my surgery whcih I thought was really nice. Well I'm tired of writing. I've written a novel here lol. If you guys have any questions just let me know. I feel like I left a lot of stuff out. I'll post more later and I'll let you guys know how my first post op orthodontist appointment goes on Wednesday.

P.S. sorry for the typos and the 1st grade level writing.

ElenaM

#9 Post by ElenaM »

Also I forgot to talk about my swelling. Right now I'm 19 days post op and it's ALMOST all gone. As far as feeling goes, I don't think it has improved much since my surgery. do get weird sensations every now and then on my chin. I can't open my mouth as wide as before yet. I can open it 2 and a half finger widths which is pretty good for just under 3 weeks.

ElenaM

#10 Post by ElenaM »

I spoke to soon about my genio, I'm really liking my chin now. Had my first ortho appointment today. All he did was look at my bite and take pictures. I got a lot of compliments from the staf. He is waiting until next appointment to remove my surgical hooks.

ORTHO12

#11 Post by ORTHO12 »

Hi,

Glad you're happy with your results and healing well, I don't think you ever mentioned though what was wrong with your bite pre-surgery and why upper and lower was the initial diagnosis yet you only had lower.

Just curious.

washtdi3

Re: I'm having double jaw surgery for $6600 including hospit

#12 Post by washtdi3 »

Elena, who was your surgeon??