Lower Debanding date

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

OzzysMom

Lower Debanding date

#1 Post by OzzysMom »

FINALLY set for December 29. Retainer on New Year's Eve.
Uppers will stay on a bit longer as there is still a gap that needs to close. It's ok though because it's been the lowers which have caused all the trouble. After 3 yrs, I NEVER got used to them...they still cut my cheeks and the bands irritate my gums.

Just had to boast about it because I have had them for so long...it felt like I was doing time. I'm so happy now!
October 8, 2008 Lefort1(6mm impaction), BSSO, Genioplasty, Turbinectomies, Partial septoplasty, gum recontoring

srs

#2 Post by srs »

wow, that's awesome! The lower ones are usually the ones that cut and get stuck to the gums at night. Congratulations!

trish222

#3 Post by trish222 »

Hey ozzy's mom,
Congratulations on your date. Can't tell you how helpful your posts have been to everyone. Your pictures were truly inspirational. I'm 5 months post-op-if you remember, I had many post-op difficulties. I am going to start physical therapy next week as I told my surgeon my progress is creeping. He agreed as my range of movement is minimal. My ortho was thinking about taking braces off and is now reconsidering as my range of movement improvement could possibly shift things. My point is that your posts to everyone has calmed my nerves to no end. I am no longer impatient with my still slightly swollen, numb and tingly face as you have said on many occasions that it does take a year. I'm, quite frankly, in no rush. I have been through too much to pressure anyone but myself on my recovery. I hope you will consider posting pix of the final outcome as your results were amazing. Again, congrats and thanks for all advice and input!

blindboarder2008
Location: in a house that has 4 walls, with lots of rooms!!! in Canada!

#4 Post by blindboarder2008 »

congratz OM!! Your one step closer to the finished product!!!!!!!
Braced: March 19th 2008
Impacted wisdom teeth extraction surgery: June 20th 2008 1pm (13 hours of fasting)
Jaw surgery (upper and lower)Lefort 1 with Madable Advancement: June 2nd 2009 @8am!!!! 1 surgery down 2 surgeries to go!!
debrace day: jan 18th 2010!!!! *has 2 fixed retainers and an essix retainer for night time now!

loveyourself

#5 Post by loveyourself »

Congrats! I hate my lowers too, they have always bothered me the most. When do you get your uppers off?

OzzysMom

#6 Post by OzzysMom »

Thanks everyone!

Trish-that was really nice of you to say, thanks. It sounds like you've got a good attitude about healing. I hope your physical therapy is helping.

loveyourself-The uppers will be coming off soon but I don't have a date yet. I still have a gap that needs closing. But, the lowers come off tomorrow and I can't tell you how happy I am (although a little nervous).
October 8, 2008 Lefort1(6mm impaction), BSSO, Genioplasty, Turbinectomies, Partial septoplasty, gum recontoring

loveyourself

#7 Post by loveyourself »

Wow! I am so jealous but very happy for you :D

OzzysMom

#8 Post by OzzysMom »

Well, the lowers were taken off today.

The good news-I'm able to move and exercise those muscles that I couldn't before because the metal was digging into my lips/cheeks. And, I really like to see my nekkid teeth after 3 yrs.

The bad news-Now when I close my mouth I find I have slight mentalis strain. Is it because the uppers are still on causing more of a protrusion and will be fine once the uppers are removed?
Or is it that my muscles are going to have to find a new "memory?"

Help please, Anyone?

chicago29

#9 Post by chicago29 »

I can't speak from experience here since I'm still waiting for surgery #2 and I'm currently braced.

However, my guess is this is muscle memory. Braces are going to cause your lips to protrude slightly, so I can see how muscles have been "trained" to accomodate for this.

I'd have another close look in a few weeks to see if things calm down. I know that after my first surgery my mentalis strain was significant, but as time went by it got better. Although, it is still "bad" and won't be corrected until the 2nd surgery.

Good Luck!
Chicago29

Jane

#10 Post by Jane »

I'm SO delighted for you - you truly deserve this - you have been so patient and such an ecouragement to others. :) I hope this helps to ease the discomfort you've had. One more milestone towards the end of the journey. :D Take care and God bless. xx

PJ

#11 Post by PJ »

Congratulations!! I am, supposedly, getting both upper and lower off next Wednesday. :)