Anyone else's surgery results not as planned?

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

ORTHO12

#31 Post by ORTHO12 »

KJ

I agree...a 1mm openbite did not warrant surgery but when you are attending all appoinments with your mum and they are telling her "your daughter will have future issues with her teeth if she does not do this" my mum is not going to go against the advice of a medical professional with regards to her childs health.

But when they don't tell her, as in states in my notes which I only obtained post surgery "double jaw surgery for a better facial appearance" this is where they lied and also it was meant to be single jaw. I came in for what was decribed as preventing future health issues and came out with aesthetics only...5 months post op cant even bite or chew things..pre op I could.

KJ

#32 Post by KJ »

ORTHO12 wrote:KJ

I agree...a 1mm openbite did not warrant surgery but when you are attending all appoinments with your mum and they are telling her "your daughter will have future issues with her teeth if she does not do this" my mum is not going to go against the advice of a medical professional with regards to her childs health.

But when they don't tell her, as in states in my notes which I only obtained post surgery "double jaw surgery for a better facial appearance" this is where they lied and also it was meant to be single jaw. I came in for what was decribed as preventing future health issues and came out with aesthetics only...5 months post op cant even bite or chew things..pre op I could.
That is terrible. They said the same to me, that I would have future problems... It doesn't make much sense how all of a sudden they are doing these operations left, right and centre, when I had never heard of anyone having anything that severe done to repair or improve a slight over-bite. Are you going to have a second surgery?

HokieTay

#33 Post by HokieTay »

Unfortunately these days you cannot take a medical professional at their word. Many people, doctors and others, are just out for money and a 1mm openbite most certainly does not warrant a jaw surgery.

Did your orthodonist recommend the surgery was well? I would hope not b/c I would think a 1mm open bite could be corrected with orthodontics alone. Good luck on your journey.
Braces first time 12/96-11/99
Braces second time 12/08-10/09
BSSO & Le Fort I 6/15!
Unwired, in elastics, and on soft foods 6/26!!!
Orthodontic elastics 7/21-8/11
Braces off... OCTOBER 2ND, 2009!

ORTHO12

#34 Post by ORTHO12 »

Basically as a kid I pushed my teeth with my tongue (habit) so my top teeth flared up and my bottom teeth flared down, you could not see what the actually jaw discrepancy was until I agreed to start braces treatment after refferal from my dentist and and orthodontist.

As soon as my teeth were pushed back to where they should be and I had grown out of the pushing my teeth with my tongue habit it showed the discrepancy was a 1mm open bite.

I didnt have an over/underbite my teeth were edge to edge and all I needed was roughly a 2mm setback of my lower jaw. But they made out to my mum this prob was sooooooo extreme and that my teeth were so bad and then went ahead and did what they did only then to say it was for a better facial appearance and nothing to do with my teeth.

I'm still angry. I explained in another post that I had 22mm of movement via jaw surgery for a 1mm open bite. Imagine how different I look..unecessary changes.

KJ

#35 Post by KJ »

22mm is a HELL of a lot. mine is 14 I think and even that for me is extremely noticable seeing as it changed the way my smile looks which has left me really self-concious. i'd love to see you before and afters, I think I'm going to ask to see mine again even though i'm 2 years post-op. I just want to remeber my face before because normal photo's I have show the difference but not up close and technical like the orthodontist ones do and I think I need him to explain to me again how it's 'improved' my appearance because I really question it some days. It's very confusing and the whole ordeal since i started Orthodontic treatment was traumatising. The first orthodontist I had was a rip-off merchant, con-artist and left me needing to have braces put on a second time after a year of having them off, which pro-longed my treatment by double the time. It was horrible but at least I didn't have to pay the second time around because of that.

ORTHO12

#36 Post by ORTHO12 »

My before and after photos are DRAMATIC to say the least!!

The ortho 1's are not a true representation as I took the befores in 2005 and the afters in 2009 I had obviously changed alot since then and when they show me my befores and afters I try to tell them I did not look like that prior to surgery there is a 4 year gap.

When I look at 2009 pre surgery and post surgery photos you can clearly see there was nothing wrong with my face and that for them to say I now have a better "facial appearance" and "socially acceptable face is wrong. My appearance has changed for nothing but the worst and at least if my teeth functioned I'd be able to look on something positive but not even they work!!

Oh and for anyone who might say "the jaw surgery makes you look how you would look if your jaws did not grow incorrectly" Please note. I've always looked like the double of my younger Brother and alot like my dad who do not have open bites or misaligned jaws and now I look like no one in my family.

I look odd.

ORTHO12

#37 Post by ORTHO12 »

Oh...and again just a reminder...I never had severely misaligned jaws either!! I had misaligned teeth.