January 2010 Buddies

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

lfwood

January 2010 Buddies

#1 Post by lfwood »

Hi everyone!! Haven't seen a month thread for a while and seeing as my surgery date is set, I was looking for some support from fellow January surgery buddies.

I am having lower jaw advancement on the 14th of January 2010. Can't believe my time is nearly here - finally :D

So who else is having surgery in January and what are you having done?

Braces 1st time 1986-1989
Braces 2nd time - January 2009
Lower Jaw Surgery (Advance)- January 14 2010

OhioM

#2 Post by OhioM »

Hi! I will be having a Lefort/genio on 1/20. I've been waiting on the right time to have this surgery for 17 years. I've very excited but as I sit here sniffling, I realize that in January, what are the chances I won't have a cold or something worse even? If we have to postpone for illness, I'll have to wait until April. I'll be stocking up on hand sanitizer soon!

Can't wait to see who else is in the book for January!
Recovering from Lefort 1 (5.5 mm impaction) with genio (6 mm) 1/20/10

crazybeautiful

#3 Post by crazybeautiful »

Yay, I'm finally in a surgery buddie thread! :lol: I'm having a bimax on the 12th to correct my underbite/cossbite/openbite :)
However, I've been told my surgery could be cancelled to make way for cancer patients, as that is my surgeon's main specialty. So here's hoping it doesn't get cancelled! I call it my 'preliminary date' in my ticker below :?

I will have my final molds and measurements taken next week (a cast for a splint will also be made, however my surgeon hopes I won't need it), then on the 22nd I have my pre-op assessment. Then on the 6th I go back to my ortho just to see if my splint fits.

My teeth have been ready since October, so it's all about just waiting for the surgery now

Good luck everyone!
~SARME, Nov 2007. 10mm expansion

My blog: http://crazybeautifulsurgery.blogspot.com/

riotshield

#4 Post by riotshield »

I have a LeFort I/BSSO/genio tentatively scheduled for Jan. 8. I'm supposed to meet my surgeon next week for a pre-op checkup.

Luckily I'll have a lot of things to do to keep my mind occupied...finishing my work, moving, traveling abroad during the holidays...but having this surgery finished successfully is the biggest thing on my mind right now.

swinger04

#5 Post by swinger04 »

I am having my lower jaw advanced on January 21. :D

I got my surgical records done last week and will be getting my surgical hooks on January 4.

lfwood

#6 Post by lfwood »

I got my surgical records done last week and will be getting my surgical hooks on January 4.
I have had my surgical hooks on since November. My ortho put my teeth in a holding state, and basically passed my onto my surgeon so that I was all ready to go when my surgeon is. I didn't want surgery before xmas though. They are a pain in the bum, extra spots for food to collect and makes it even harder to clean your teeth. On the positive note though, I have had time for my mouth to get used to them, so no more ulcers etc.

I am having my teeth cleaned by my dentist on the 4th, then on the 5th of January I am having my moulds done and my last appointment with my surgeon.

lfwood

#7 Post by lfwood »

I have had my surgical hooks on since November. My ortho put my teeth in a holding state, and basically passed my onto my surgeon so that I was all ready to go when my surgeon is. I didn't want surgery before xmas though. They are a pain in the bum, extra spots for food to collect and makes it even harder to clean your teeth. On the positive note though, I have had time for my mouth to get used to them, so no more ulcers etc.

I am having my teeth cleaned by my dentist on the 4th, then on the 5th of January I am having my moulds done and my last appointment with my surgeon.

swinger04

#8 Post by swinger04 »

My teeth have been ready for almost 6 months and my wire hasn't been changed in about 7.

That seems like a longer time than the "norm" to have the hooks on. What type of hooks do you have? I believe mine will be sautered on.

crazybeautiful

#9 Post by crazybeautiful »

Well I thought I was getting my hooks on a little too early (next week) but I suppose it just depends how it works, and the systems your ortho and surgeons have together

How are the hooks put on anyway?

lfwood

#10 Post by lfwood »

Before they put your surgical wire into your mouth they slide the hooks into the right places.

My ortho has put a few funny little bends in my wire too - I thought I had bent/damaged the wire when I first noticed :oops: , but she said thats just part of her work she needs to do. Phew.
That seems like a longer time than the "norm" to have the hooks on
- I guess my ortho gets quite busy so she put a couple on at a time over the last few visits I had with her. I last saw my ortho in early November and won't see her again til 6 weeks post op which is late Feb. Can't wait to get my top ligs changed then, have been avoiding eating anything that might stain them :wink:

ReneG

#11 Post by ReneG »

I will have my lower jaw advanced on 12 Jan 2010! Glad to have so many surgical buddies :)
My 2 year diet plan in progress: http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?p=243462

10 Mar 2008: Braced - upper and lower
12 Jan 2010: BSSO (Advancement)
?? Jun 2010: 6th post-op appointment
30 Jun 2010: 6th post-op ortho appointment - debanding!!! :D
07 Jul 2010: Retainer day!

enigma

Oooh this is a good thread yay

#12 Post by enigma »

Count me in!!!
Im having double surgery Jan 25th though Im not sure of the technical terms sorry....Im having lower jaw advancement and upper jaw moved upwards.
Im getting quite excited about it now, I have waited all my life to do this so there is no backing out now.
Will be staying in regular touch on here definately as the time approaches this thread is a great idea. xxx
On a last note Hi lol Im linda mum to 2 girls Emily 5 Jessica 3.

lfwood

#13 Post by lfwood »

Was just reading this topic - You don't have to read this, it has already made me happy!! By Willowisp and it had some great ideas.

Loved this one -
Buy a food syringe (I got a cheap one for feeding lambs colostrum from a farm shop- don't judge, I was hungry and the 'real' ones are expensive
Seeing the Zip n Squeeze aren't available I will be looking into this tomorrow. Already found some on Ebay in my home country (Australia), will be visiting my local Farm Produce store tomorrow - They might think I'm nuts if I ring them - LOL

Must really start my list properly now...

crazybeautiful

#14 Post by crazybeautiful »

I've been wondering about syringes, etc, because I don't know if I'll be provided with some or not. I mean, I'm in the hospital for at least 2 days I believe, so they'll have to feed me with something...

Anyway I've got my hooks on now; 4 on the top and 8 on the bottom. They were just 'clamped' onto my wire as well, so the wire didn't need to be removed. In fact I haven't had a wire change since October :lol:

I've got my pre-op assessment on Tuesday, but there's a bit of chaos here in the UK because it's snowing and we never know what to do when it snows! We're used to bad weather generally, but snow is a rarity. The roads weren't cleared, and 5 trains got stranded in the Channel tunnel yesterday.....so here's hoping it either doesn't snow on Tuesday, or the roads get cleared in time :roll:

crazybeautiful

#15 Post by crazybeautiful »

Just noticed- ReneG, we have the same surgery date! Although mine still has the possibility of being postponed :?

~
Also, what is everyone going to get? A blender, syringes, soups? (ugh, I hate soup :evil: )
I don't like preparing when my date still isn't final. It doesn't feel right, and also I don't want to have a big bag of stuff ready and then be disappointed when it gets delayed. I'm scared of the phone at this point :lol: