asymmetry question pre surgery

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

almost50

asymmetry question pre surgery

#1 Post by almost50 »

I'm due to have BSSO December 15. I can see where my orthodontist is going with the bite when I pull my lower jaw forward. It's fitting really good regarding the teeth alignment.

However, I notice when I move my lower jaw forward to where it's probably supposed to be and look in the mirror my lower jaw shifts to the left slightly. Midline of bottom/top teeth line up. But my lower lip and chin look shifted to the left slightly. I asked a friend to look at me (one who's honest and quick to call me on my obsessive tendencies) and she confirmed my thoughts. My face has always been pretty symmetrical up until this point in my life.

I'm sure my ortho can't evaluate the rest of my face by just looking at the molds. So far in the treatment he hasn't really taken a good look at me straight on to even notice it. Just looks at my teeth or the molds, usually from one side of the dentists chair. But I'm really concerned about the symmetry issue. It's not huge but it's there. Is this something that surgery will address or is that something that the orthodontist can correct. And I know nobody's face is perfectly symmetrical, but worried about asymmetry going into the surgery and coming out even worse.

Obviously I will ask him next week about it, but just wanted to be prepared with as much info as I can prior to that. He's a good orthodontist but tends to give flippant answers that take me a too long to process--I always think of my questions about 20 minutes after leaving the office-- so I want to be ready.

mp921

#2 Post by mp921 »

It was physically impossible for me to position my lower jaw in the exact position that would result from surgery. One side of my jaw was advanced further than the other and the arch had to be leveled or something like that.

I think you are doing the right thing by talking with your Orthodontist next week. If something like that were bothering me I'd probably want to discuss it with my Oral Surgeon as well. You don't want to go into this surgery with any worries or doubts!

Good luck!
Braced 2nd Time: May 2008
Lower Jaw Advancement Surgery (BSSO): August 2009
One Miniplate & Four Screws Removed: October 2009

almost50

#3 Post by almost50 »

Thanks for the feedback. I've been following your progress and I sympathize with everything you've had to go through, but grateful for your posts because it's been educational for me to know what can happen and what the signs might be if something is wrong.

I will be talking about it to my orthodontist next week. I met with my OS over a year ago right before braces to make sure everything was approved. My next appointment with the OS is scheduled for a week before the surgery so I hope my issues are resolved before then.

SuperJet

#4 Post by SuperJet »

almost50 wrote:Thanks for the feedback. I've been following your progress and I sympathize with everything you've had to go through, but grateful for your posts because it's been educational for me to know what can happen and what the signs might be if something is wrong.

I will be talking about it to my orthodontist next week. I met with my OS over a year ago right before braces to make sure everything was approved. My next appointment with the OS is scheduled for a week before the surgery so I hope my issues are resolved before then.
Only a week before surgery? Are you sure about that? I met with my OS about a month and a half before, then week and a half before then just a few days prior. Final x rays and pictures were taken, along with measurements of my jaw, mouth ect.

Either way good luck with your surgery.
Braces since May of 07
Lower Jaw advancement Surgery Oct 1!!

mp921

#5 Post by mp921 »

SuperJet, mine was that way too (scary huh?). My orthodontist sent me to the surgeon initially about a year before surgery so the surgeon could submit my case to insurance for pre-approval. I didn't see my surgeon again until one week prior to the surgery and this was for my history and physical (nothing to it). I had to visit my Ortho a couple of days before surgery and he took updated xrays and molds to send to the surgeon. For me it seemed as if everything was going on behind the scenes. I remember my surgeon telling me that he was putting my jaw where the Ortho told him to put it. :shock: :lol:

trish222

#6 Post by trish222 »

Wow mp921-that would have scared me to hear the os was aligning the jaw to where ortho said. I had 4-5 appointments with staff in office to do mold=xrays=consultations. They actually said that the os simulates surgery on molds? To apparently get finished product. My os reviewed the measurements of my face-told me how many mm my jaws would be moving and chin would slide out. Ask alot of questions and make sure your os is checked through your local department of health for standings-pending suits. Good luck and be patient

almost50

#7 Post by almost50 »

I saw my OS a year ago at Kaiser and got approved. I just got my appointments for my presurgery stuff--OS appointment, surgery class, and presurgery checkup and it's 8 days before the surgery. My doctor is supposed to be really good--I not too worried about that aspect of it all.

almost50

#8 Post by almost50 »

UPDATE: Just met with my orthodontist. He was very nice about explaining everything. He said it's really not enough of a shift off center to warrant extensive correction proceedures. My personal concern is going into surgery with a slightly asymmetrical face and coming out even more lopsided. I notice when I pull my bottom jaw forward to meet where it's supposed to go it's a shift to the left and a slight rotation, and in the mirror, I definitely see a difference but not as much as the feeling of it all pulling to the left. (And being my age the "ever so slight" wrinkles on the left side of my mouth are more pronounced, and disappear on the right side, as well as the chin and lower lip being a little off.)

He did want me to call my OS and see him ASAP just to make sure, and to see if there is anything to be done orthodontically prior to surgery. So I have a call into Kaiser, but they get so booked up I'm not sure there's much time before my presurgery appointment anyway.

soleil4716

#9 Post by soleil4716 »

Remember that during surgery your jaw will be cut in the back and then brought forward. When you are bringing it forward now to get a feel for your future bite, you are bringing in the whole jaw and also moving the TMJ joint.

So, it is not entirely possible to mimic the post surgery situation. OS may have to bring one side more than the other depending on how things fit.

But it is definitely worthwhile to share your concerns with the OS if you get a chance to.
Braces April 2008
Lower Jaw Advancement Surgery (BSSO) Sept 2009

SuperJet

#10 Post by SuperJet »

trish222 wrote:Wow mp921-that would have scared me to hear the os was aligning the jaw to where ortho said. I had 4-5 appointments with staff in office to do mold=xrays=consultations. They actually said that the os simulates surgery on molds? To apparently get finished product. My os reviewed the measurements of my face-told me how many mm my jaws would be moving and chin would slide out.
Thats pretty much how my OS did with me. 2 sets of molts the final week of surgery. One for him and the other for the splint.
Braces since May of 07
Lower Jaw advancement Surgery Oct 1!!

mp921

#11 Post by mp921 »

trish222 wrote:Wow mp921-that would have scared me to hear the os was aligning the jaw to where ortho said. I had 4-5 appointments with staff in office to do mold=xrays=consultations. They actually said that the os simulates surgery on molds? To apparently get finished product. My os reviewed the measurements of my face-told me how many mm my jaws would be moving and chin would slide out. Ask alot of questions and make sure your os is checked through your local department of health for standings-pending suits. Good luck and be patient
Trish, I had all of the molds and xrays too. But these were all done by my ortho and then sent to my surgeon (they are next door to each other). I also had consults with my surgeon. They got together a few days prior to surgery to review everything and determine where things were to be moved exactly.

HkyGrl s2k

#12 Post by HkyGrl s2k »

Hope you dont mind me asking, but which Kaiser are you having your surgery at?

I'm due to have the same surgery on Dec 7th. I have been seeing an OS at Kaiser Santa Clara, but he said I will have to go to Kaiser Oakland to have the surgery cause there aren't enough surgeons that day in Santa Clara. So not looking forward to that ride back home after surgery. :lol:

almost50

#13 Post by almost50 »

I"ll be having surgery at Kaiser Oakland also. Lucky for me it's not that far from where I live.

Hopefully they will give you good drugs so the ride won't be so bad.

archangel689

Re: asymmetry question pre surgery

#14 Post by archangel689 »

They'll do their "model surgery" first to make sure everything is right before doing it on you.

That appointment a week before the surgery is when all measurements are made, etc. They'll just find they probably have to do a rotation in addition to the advancement.

On the left side of my jaw, several millimeters before the joint, there is a boney protrusion downwar towards the ground, noticeable only by touch, if you know it's there... it seems to be left over bone from the rotation.
almost50 wrote:I'm due to have BSSO December 15. I can see where my orthodontist is going with the bite when I pull my lower jaw forward. It's fitting really good regarding the teeth alignment.

However, I notice when I move my lower jaw forward to where it's probably supposed to be and look in the mirror my lower jaw shifts to the left slightly. Midline of bottom/top teeth line up. But my lower lip and chin look shifted to the left slightly. I asked a friend to look at me (one who's honest and quick to call me on my obsessive tendencies) and she confirmed my thoughts. My face has always been pretty symmetrical up until this point in my life.

I'm sure my ortho can't evaluate the rest of my face by just looking at the molds. So far in the treatment he hasn't really taken a good look at me straight on to even notice it. Just looks at my teeth or the molds, usually from one side of the dentists chair. But I'm really concerned about the symmetry issue. It's not huge but it's there. Is this something that surgery will address or is that something that the orthodontist can correct. And I know nobody's face is perfectly symmetrical, but worried about asymmetry going into the surgery and coming out even worse.

Obviously I will ask him next week about it, but just wanted to be prepared with as much info as I can prior to that. He's a good orthodontist but tends to give flippant answers that take me a too long to process--I always think of my questions about 20 minutes after leaving the office-- so I want to be ready.

almost50

#15 Post by almost50 »

Just an update.

I've had conversations with my orthodontist and oral surgeon and both don't think it's enough to warrant the extreme procedures it would take to correct. The surgeon and surgeon's intern were quite impressed with my orthodontist's work and how well my bite is shaping up.

My friends see it immediately when I show them the difference--letting my chin relax into it's normal state, and then pulling it to where my bite will end up. Some say it doesn't bother them, it's better than my crooked teeth and overbite and I should let it go, others are concerned and ask if I've gotten other opinions, and "how competent is my orthodontist and surgeon, etc". (I actually do trust them)

I'm still a little freaked out by the fact that my final results are going to end up with my lower jaw/chin being asymmetrical to one side. about 2 mm. It's hard for me to deal with cause my face is pretty symmetrical pre-surgery. So my surgery is going to permanently make my jaw from straight to crooked in order to fix my bite, and that's the best scenario. I guess it takes the stress out of worrying about other issues that are looming--such as permanent numbness, and other complications that can happen with surgery.

The other options they discussed were moving all the top teeth 1-2mm to the right, which is major and the ortho said he would be shot down by any orthodontist that ever looked at what he did and he ethically would refuse to do it. Or remove teeth to make more room, which in my case would be even worse visually. The surgeon didn't think it was enough to warrant moving my upper jaw as well but he did mention the possibility of moving my chin a little to compensate visually. This is still a possibility which I will discuss with the surgeon on my final visit--maybe as a possibility if once they determine they need to do more movement than anticipated. Personally I'm hesitant about doing anything more than necessary because it's more opportunity for things to go wrong. I don't have an issue with my chin--it's just fine the way it is and I'm worried that all the efforts to make it perfect could backfire.

My surgery is December 15. Wish me well.