7 weeks post lower jaw advancement - not happy!

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

mp921

7 weeks post lower jaw advancement - not happy!

#1 Post by mp921 »

I was ecstatic the first 5 weeks post lower jaw advancement surgery (results wise - not recovery wise :wink: ). My bite was feeling & looking pretty good - much better than before surgery. Then at around 5 weeks post-op my Ortho took over and now my bite feels so akward and my facial symmetry is now off (symmetry was fine prior to surgery). I don't know what in the world is going on and I'm not getting any answers from my Ortho.

Did anyone else have a change in facial symmetry after lower jaw surgery alone? Has anyone else not been happy with results around 6 weeks post-op forward? Did things finally work out or are you still unhappy? Keep in mind that my surgery was medically necessary due to a severe overbite.

I loved to smile during the first 5 weeks (as much as I could) but I HATE smiling now because my top and bottom arches are no longer level and aligned (I'm assuming here that I'm using the correct terms).

I know that the left side of my jaw was advanced more than the right side during surgery. But again, the first 5 weeks prior to my Ortho taking over, my midline lined up, my arches looked great and aside from the swelling, my face appeared to still be symmetrical. Maybe it's a coicidence that this happened at the same time my Ortho took over. But all I know is that now, if you take a picture of me looking straight ahead, my eyes are no longer completely level with each other and my jaw looks larger on the side where the eye looks higher. I doubt other people are noticing this (I don't look like a zombie or anything) but it's definitely noticeable to me...especially when I compare current pictures to pre-surgical pictures.

As far as my bite...what in the world happened in the past 2 weeks??? My Ortho said I have to wear crossbite elastics on both sides when I go back at my next appt. Why? I didn't have this problem pre-surgery. My midline is off again BIG TIME! And even my husband agrees that it looks as if all the teeth on the lower left are now sitting higher than all the teeth on the lower right side. What in the world? When I open my mouth and hold it to where my teeth are not touching, I have more room between the upper and lower teeth on the right side than I do on the left side. And the left side appears to be majorly constricted compared to the right side.

I hope some of this makes sense. And I hope someone can relate and give me a happy ending. I'm scared, to say the least. I have this uneasy feeling that a second surgery is in my future. And that angers me, because my lower jaw advancement was supposed to be so routine and straightfoward yielding me excellent results post-op.

I regretted the decision to have this surgery during the first 2 weeks post-op because of the infection and pain. But then I was glad I did it. Until now. And I'm scared to death I made a horrible decision and that I'm now worse off than I was before and I should have left well enough alone!

:cry:
Braced 2nd Time: May 2008
Lower Jaw Advancement Surgery (BSSO): August 2009
One Miniplate & Four Screws Removed: October 2009

mp921

#2 Post by mp921 »

I forgot to add the details about my lips...

When my lips are closed, one side of my upper lip looks alightly higher than the other side. :cry:

elliew

#3 Post by elliew »

So sorry to hear this! I have absolutely nothing to add....I am so clueless
when it comes to terminology (don't know what my arches are or where to find them :lol: ) Just wanted to offer support and suggest a serious discussion with your OD. Be firm and make sure you completely understand where they are going. There is always a second opinion....might be worth it to talk to another ortho? Just my thoughts....good luck and take care.

ellie

chicago29

#4 Post by chicago29 »

mp921,

I have no advice but to follow your orthodontist's recommendation, and if you don't trust them, get another opinion no matter where you are in your treatment. With orthodontics, the adage of "things getting worse before they get better" often apply, even post-op.

If you are really worried, go to your OS and let them know what's going on and get their opinion. If they say you are fine from a jaw standpoint, then I'm pretty sure your orthodontist will get it all straightened out.

I'm not sure there is a term to describe what is happening to you, but I know that "muscle memory" often wreaks all sorts of havoc about a month or so post-op. Your muscles are not used to your new jaw, and this will take a lot of time to get in order. Some require physical therapy to do so. That may be your case as well.

Try and relax and follow your doc's instructions and things will work out for you.

Sorry I can't offer any other advice, but please keep us posted.

Regards
Chicago29

mp921

#5 Post by mp921 »

Thanks you two! My next appointment with the OD isn't until the end of this month, but I'm going to wait it out. Then I'll try to speak with him and hopefully get a better understanding of what is going on. I'm having a lot of stuff done at this appointment so hopefully it will all make sense and he'll be able to offer some reassurance. Luckily, as soon as I leave my OD I get to see my OS.

zoeandnimo

#6 Post by zoeandnimo »

I had a BSSO alone and experienced something similar after surgery. I expected my midlines to line up perfectly after the surgery and they did not. I was extremely worried. However, I am now 6 months post-op and my ortho has completely fixed the midline - so have faith! It really is true that things might look worse before they get better - give it time.

As for the facial asymmetry, I also noticed some more after the surgery. I was initially pretty worried. However, when I went back and looked at photos of myself pre-surgery I realized that it was actually there all the time - I just never, ever noticed it until I began this journey and started looking at all these things. It may be something that has always been there but is now more obvious to you.

Good luck - hope this helps!

mp921

#7 Post by mp921 »

Thanks again for all of the comments! Zoeandnimo, I looked back at some pre-surgery photos and noticed some asymmetry. I'd never noticed it before!

I went in to see my OS today for piece of mind. Best thing I could have done, although I should have trusted my OD in the first place. Afterall, he's given me no reason NOT to trust him. My OS assured me that everything is fine with my jaw itself and that the surgery was a success. No follow-up surgery needed. He agreed with my OD that it's the muscle pulling my lower jaw to the right. Yes, my Ortho has my bite out of alignment right now since changing out the arch wires and one side is constricted too much but my OS is confident everything will be just fine once my OD works on the alignment if my muscle will relax. Flexeril makes me feel crazy so he prescribed Skelaxin and I'm to continue physical therapy.

I was no where near a perfectionist when it came to my smile pre-surgery. But wow, I guess after everything I went through with surgery I expect no less than perfection. :wink:

fromjersey

#8 Post by fromjersey »

It's very difficult for me to imagine what something as complex as a face and jaw looks like without a photo. Is it possible to post before/after photos? Our own verbal expressions just don't do it for me. I understand problems posting photos.
I know I have had posting photos and somebody here will be glad to help on this. Profile photos are especially good.
Helen

mp921

#9 Post by mp921 »

fromjersey, here is a link to the thread containing my progression pictures. The final two pictures show the midline shift, although according to my surgeon I haven't actually had a shift, just my muscle on the right side pulling my jaw in that direction making me think that's where my new bite it, although it's not. :?

viewtopic.php?t=32790

projo198

#10 Post by projo198 »

You mentioned your not getting much feedback from your Ortho, are they just not fielding your questions or what?

Seems strange they wouldn't have anything to tell you, but remember there is a lot that can be corrected with ortho.

I hope you get good news at the end of the month!

ORTHO12

#11 Post by ORTHO12 »

My face has been made assymetrical post surgery and my teeth/arches look horrible. My insicors have been flared to form the bite and if I put my teeth back to my edge bite the centre line is off.

Wish I never did this whole thing.

I had a 1mm open bite and for some reason they told me they were doing lower jaw and they did double jaw and everything is now so much worse. Fed up of complaining about it nw.

2bpositive

#12 Post by 2bpositive »

ORTHO12 - I'm really surprised they did surgery for only a 1 mm openbite. I would think they would try to correct it with just braces.
Braces: Aug. 1, 2008
Surgery: July 30, 2009
Lefort I
Mandibular Osteotomy
Sliding Genio
Debraced: Feb. 23, 2010

ORTHO12

#13 Post by ORTHO12 »

They told me and my mum I had to have the surgery and that there was no alternative.

And we believed them as we thought they had my best interests in mind.

Now I know I did not need surgery.

Too late and now I have had both jaws moved instead of 1.