pocket reduction, crown lengthening or gingivectomy, anyone?

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

staceyr2

pocket reduction, crown lengthening or gingivectomy, anyone?

#1 Post by staceyr2 »

Just wondering if anyone has had a pocket reduction, crown lengthening or gingivectomy. I recently had what the perio called a pocket reduction on most of my teeth (molars to molars, top & bottom). I have looked up different types of surgery and found that it is also called a gingivectomy or crown lengthening. Perio told me that as one ages, thier gums are supposed to recede, mine did not. So Ortho had a hard time even getting the brackets on to my tiny teeth, and over 4 years the braces had made the gums even worse. Well, the procedure itself wasn't so bad. But now it's been over a week, the swelling went down, the bruises have faded, pain pills are all gone and stiches fallen out, now I am developing serious sensitivity that is quite excruciating at times. I am not sure if this is because there are some exposed cavities that were hiding under those gums or if it is just normal because the teeth were not exposed before and the enamel is not like the rest of the tooth, or what. I have to be careful when I take in a breath, if I do it too fast and the air hits my teeth at the gum line, it shoots immediate pain through my jaws. I haven't been drinking anything with ice or chilled, but even just cool liquid (room temp) swished in my mouth is very painful. I have gone out and purchased Sensodyne toothpaste (now that I am able to brush again) in hopes that this will help reduce the pain.
Help please, Is this much pain normal? How long will it last? Will the Sensodyne help? or should I call the perio or dentist?
staceyr2
(braced after age 30)
wearing metal self-ligating on both

OzzysMom

#2 Post by OzzysMom »

Hi, did you have jaw surgery as well?
I find your question interesting because I've been having similar issues w/my gums. Mine did not recede either and for over 3 yrs the bands have been irritating my already sensitive/puffy gums.
I had seen the perio several times last summer and as soon as my braces come off(january), he wants to do some perio surgery. I'm not sure what he needs to do yet though...what a long journey this is.
Good luck to you!
October 8, 2008 Lefort1(6mm impaction), BSSO, Genioplasty, Turbinectomies, Partial septoplasty, gum recontoring

staceyr2

#3 Post by staceyr2 »

Hi,
I did not have jaw surgery, it hasn't even been mentioned, just the "pocket removal" or crown lengthening. I still have my braces on, but I am close to the end and the perio said that they like to do this close to the end so that the ortho can see the teeth better and make any last minute adjustments. Here are a few pics so you can see what was done. The "after" was taken about 4 days after the surgery, so they are still a little gross looking.
I have called the perio, and they told me that the hypersensitivity is normal because of the new exposed areas and that it will fade over time, plus using Sensodyne toothpaste will help. They also told me that the jaw pain is from having my mouth held wide open for about 2 hours during the procedure, and that should fade in a couple of weeks. Ibuprofen is helping in the mean time.
You may want to discuss the irritation with your ortho and maybe let them know that you have a perio, find out if they want you to get the crown lengthening before you get your braces off???? I will warn you, the healing process isn't much fun, but I am totally thrilled with the way they look. I never realized I had such big teeth under those huge gums.
I have to ask, are you a mouth breather? I am, but the perio said that it wasn't obvious on my gums, because usually they get a red line where the lips rest on the gums and the gums dry out really bad. I guess being ashamed of my large gums all these years and trying so hard to cover them with my lips has paid off somewhat. Yes, what a journey it has been, but I really am seeing good results now. I hope yours is as good for you in the end too.
staceyr2
(braced after age 30)
wearing metal self-ligating on both

OzzysMom

#4 Post by OzzysMom »

Very nice results, thanks for posting the pics.
My perio and ortho are located in the same complex and have already discussed my case. Right now, they are working aggressively to get my braces off asap in order to ease my gums from further band irritation.

I had my wires out(as well as one irritating band which was replaced by a bracket) for several weeks so I could get some deep-root planings done. I'm due for another cleaning in a couple of weeks and bought a Hydro Floss which has been helping my gums. The perio also put me on Doxycycline Hyclate to help w/infection which I have been on for several weeks.

Yes, I used to be a mouth breather. When I had my surgery last year, I also had turbinectomies and a partial septoplasty so I am now able to breath through my nose as well as close my mouth. I know that most of my gum issues were caused by years of mouth breathing.

I can't believe what a huge chunk of my life has been spent not only correcting my jaw but the other effects/ailments brought on by it. Will be nice when it's over.
October 8, 2008 Lefort1(6mm impaction), BSSO, Genioplasty, Turbinectomies, Partial septoplasty, gum recontoring

fromjersey

#5 Post by fromjersey »

Staceyr2: I had gingevectomy. A year before that had sliding genioplasty.
Also had new crowns put on every tooth in my mouth. Big improvement over past gummy smile. I still have my midline shift, upper teeth, but am glad for anything I had done. Under ideal circumstances, I would have had Lefort and BSSO, but something stood in the way -- my being age 79 when I finally got genioplasty, then getting gingevectomy a year later. I also had bone implant and molar implant.

Getting new crowns was probably the worst of everything, sometimes 5 hours straight in dentist chair. Before all the work I had sleep apnea, mouth breathing, lip incompetence.

All the work I had done was actually compromise, but I was overjoyed to get anything done.

The reason for the molar implant was from my losing a molar and then not getting it replaced right away. The jaw loses bone if this happens. Reason was that around 1970 an endodontist drilled into a molar to do a root canal but without anesthetic. After I went through the roof I refused to have any root canals for many years. I thought they were all like that, like some movier about Nazi torturers.
Helen