I'm finally nekkid!....well almost

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Skitters

I'm finally nekkid!....well almost

#1 Post by Skitters »

After being braced on February 28, 2008 and having LeFort I and BSSO on January 16, 2009, I have finally been debanded! My subject says I'm "almost" done because I did opt to do the "prefinisher" appliance instead of keeping the braces for another few months. I'm not sure how I feel about that choice yet since my teeth are EXTREMELY sore in the appliance and it's impossible to talk to eat with it in :? . The good news is I get to go down to only wearing it 4-6 hours three days from now. Here's a quick photo summary of my drama to having straight, correct smile. Thanks again to everyone who's supported me through all of this, and to those of you preparing for surgery....hang in there! The few weeks of recovery are totally worth the end result that you will have for the rest of your life!!!

(click on the pics to enlarge)

My teeth on the first day of braces

My incredibly off midline

Pre op pics from the ortho

3 days post op

9 months post op

October 8th....debanding day!

No more gummy smile

I still have some choices to make about some gum sculpting and getting a dental implant, but I'm totally excited with the current results. I can't believe this day has finally come!

OhioM

#2 Post by OhioM »

You look beautiful! Your old jaw looks similar to mine, so I'll hope for similar results! Congrats on being finished and WOW, that must be a great feeling to get the braces off.
Recovering from Lefort 1 (5.5 mm impaction) with genio (6 mm) 1/20/10

PJ

#3 Post by PJ »

You look amazing! Congratulations!!

blindboarder2008
Location: in a house that has 4 walls, with lots of rooms!!! in Canada!

#4 Post by blindboarder2008 »

awesome skittles and congratz!!!!!! Hope the pain from the appliance goes away quickly!!
Braced: March 19th 2008
Impacted wisdom teeth extraction surgery: June 20th 2008 1pm (13 hours of fasting)
Jaw surgery (upper and lower)Lefort 1 with Madable Advancement: June 2nd 2009 @8am!!!! 1 surgery down 2 surgeries to go!!
debrace day: jan 18th 2010!!!! *has 2 fixed retainers and an essix retainer for night time now!

OzzysMom

#5 Post by OzzysMom »

You look amazing! Congrats! What an amazing feeling that must be.
October 8, 2008 Lefort1(6mm impaction), BSSO, Genioplasty, Turbinectomies, Partial septoplasty, gum recontoring

eveningninja

#6 Post by eveningninja »

Looks fantastic. Congrats :D

Skitters

#7 Post by Skitters »

Thanks everyone! Just had my first (and last) post op appt without braces today. Doc is very happy with everything. He feel confident I will get all of my feeling back, but he said it could take "years" for complete nerve healing. He also said my bones have healed wonderfully and should be as strong now as they were prior to surgery.

Next step is to get a dental implant. I'm putting that off for a little while because I'm just not ready to go back to having incisions in my mouth and all the care and precautions that go with them.

Thanks again@

chicago29

#8 Post by chicago29 »

WOW!!!!!! :jump:

You have to be THRILLED! Congratulations, Skitters!! You look awesome...

SuperJet

#9 Post by SuperJet »

your bite looks awesome. Congratulations! You had a tough road and made it to the end.
Braces since May of 07
Lower Jaw advancement Surgery Oct 1!!

moth

#10 Post by moth »

everything looks amazing!!! you must be excited to see the final result of all the agony haha! :D

i do have a question for you though (or anyone else who might know). i noticed at the beginning of your treatment your midline was off. my midlines were fine pre-braces/pre-op, but since i had my surgery, my midlines are shifted too much to the right. my upper and lower midlines of my teeth fit perfectly in relation to each other, but they are not 'centered' if you were to draw a line down the middle of my face. did you need to have a tooth pulled to correct the midline, did it come together after the surgery, or was it fixed merely with braces/elastics?