Solids?

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

braced4secondtime

Solids?

#1 Post by braced4secondtime »

I'll be 4 weeks post op tomorrow and finally get to see my OS again (last visit was 2 weeks ago) and I'm HOPING he says I can start having solids again.

A couple questions for seasoned post surgery peeps but when were you able to smile and have it look natural and feel natural? My upper lip is still a bit numb and a bit swollen but the muscles are moving so strangely, I guess they just aren't used to this new position yet so my smile looks so awkward and un natural.

Also, when were you allowed to eat "normally" like bite into a sandwich, open wide enough to put something in. At 4 weeks, I can't open my mouth very wide. It doesn't hurt when I try, I just CAN'T open it wider than I'd say an inch and a bit. HOW will I fit sushi in there?? haha

And thirdly, I have a "click" sound on my left side, right around where the bracket is/would be based on my xrays and when I wash my face, apply moisturizer etc and go over this area, I hear a click, like something is moving. There is NO pain what so ever, no redness, nothing indicative that something is wrong or infected. What could this be?? HOPEFULLY not a loose bracket! ACK!

I fully plan to bring all these up at my appt with the OS tomorrow but thought I'd post here for input anyway since its always welcome. Thanks!

PJ

#2 Post by PJ »

Don't despair--4 weeks is still pretty early. I think by 8 weeks you'll get closer to a normal range of motion, but it is individual. Did your OS give you instructions on doing jaw exercises?

I had a weird clicking noise in my jaw for awhile after surgery, but it went away--I think it's just part of the healing process, but absolutely--discuss it with your OS.

As far as smiling normally--it just takes time for the muscles to readjust, and for you to get used to the new configuration. I'm at 5 1/2 months and my smile still doesn't look entirely normal to me, but I think that is largely due to years of seeing a different smile in the mirror. It's like having a new face--it takes some time to adjust. :)

Hang in there--in a few months you'll hardly even feel like you had a surgery. :)

Tribal

#3 Post by Tribal »

I wasn't allowed to try solid food till 6 weeks post op (I was allowed soft food at 2 weeks) but even at 9 weeks there are a lot of things I still can't eat. I had a slice of pizza today and still had difficulty eating it. Even when you get the ok you'll need to take it slow

braced4secondtime

#4 Post by braced4secondtime »

Thanks for the replies. I had my 4 week post op today and xrays were taken to see if something had moved to explain the clicking sounds. Everything looked great xray wise and hopefully the clicking stops on its own, he said it may be a fragment of bone but not to worry. I'm also STILL on liquid diet only until 6 weeks post op. This was disheartening to hear as I'm really tired of the little variety my diet has right now. I'm not even allowed soft foods like mashed potatoes or rice until 6 weeks. He explained that it was because my entire upper jaw had been cut straight through so its still fragile while the brackets are really all that bearing any weight until the bone heals. I know its for the greater cause so I'm trucking through but with thanksgiving on Monday, I wasn't happy to hear I don't get to enjoy anything not blender-ed. lol All in all, great appt, I have to go back in 2 weeks when I'll be 6 weeks post op.
First time in braces, no surgery: 1990
Second time in braces: 08/07
Wisdom teeth plus 1 molar each side total 6 teeth removed: 02/08
Upper Jaw surgery: 09/09

braced4secondtime

#5 Post by braced4secondtime »

Thanks for the replies. I had my 4 week post op today and xrays were taken to see if something had moved to explain the clicking sounds. Everything looked great xray wise and hopefully the clicking stops on its own, he said it may be a fragment of bone but not to worry. I'm also STILL on liquid diet only until 6 weeks post op. This was disheartening to hear as I'm really tired of the little variety my diet has right now. I'm not even allowed soft foods like mashed potatoes or rice until 6 weeks. He explained that it was because my entire upper jaw had been cut straight through so its still fragile while the brackets are really all that bearing any weight until the bone heals. I know its for the greater cause so I'm trucking through but with thanksgiving on Monday, I wasn't happy to hear I don't get to enjoy anything not blender-ed. lol All in all, great appt, I have to go back in 2 weeks when I'll be 6 weeks post op.

Tribal

#6 Post by Tribal »

I consider mashed potatoes a liquid :P If you mix them up with gravy and a bit of milk they should be runny enough to work.

braced4secondtime

#7 Post by braced4secondtime »

Well, I was too scared to admit to my OS that I'd been having mashed potatoes and stuff like rice & noodles a little bit the past week. I would use my tonge to press it to the roof of my mouth in lieu of chewing with my jaw. But when he stressed "You're going to be really tempted to have stuff like mashed potatoes and rice, but don't do it yet" I thought Hmmmm but at the same time he kept commenting how amazed he was with my recovery at only 4 weeks and said "Keep doing what you're doing as obviously its working well" but I still couldn't bring myself to admit I'd been "cheating" on the liquid diet HAHAHA talk about feeling like a lil kid scared to get into trouble. With thanksgiving coming up this weekend I absolutely have to have SOME turkey dinner, mashed up really good of course. And I'll thin it out a lot too. If I can eat yogurt from a spoon than in my way of thinking, mashed potatoes should be no different right?? lol thanks for replying

Tribal

#8 Post by Tribal »

I avoided pressing things against the roof of my mouth (I've only been able to eat rice recently) but things not requiring any breaking down should be fair (and legal) game. Mashed potatoes you can just shove in with a baby spoon and swallow if they're smooth enough. Same with mashed up veggies like carrots/turnip/sweet potato. And gravy is great for making everything a more liquid-like consistency ;)

eveningninja

#9 Post by eveningninja »

I'm 2 months post-op and no solids til 3 months.

braced4secondtime

#10 Post by braced4secondtime »

eveningninja: ok, ok. I'm officially going to curb the complaining about not eating solids for a few more weeks yet. hahaha OS said at 6 weeks post op I can start introducing "soft" foods, so I have no idea when, in his mind, I can have actual solid food. perhaps i just need some new recipes to mix stuff up again and be less boring. thanks everyone!