1 year post-op w/pics

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

OzzysMom

1 year post-op w/pics

#1 Post by OzzysMom »

Hi everyone. Just wanted to update on my healing progress. In 2 weeks it will be one year since my surgery. I just found out today that I'll have my braces until January. The jaw healing has been a slow process but I couldn't be happier.
I am so grateful for this forum. Without it, I wouldn't have found out about my Costa Rica surgery option, nor would I have learned about what to expect from the perspective of those who have been through this process. It's also been wonderful to not feel so isolated in the world.

I'm posting some before/afters.

Always my pleasure to share my experience and help.
Most heartfully,
OM

This was my jaw relaxed:

Trying to close lips together:

Gummy smile:

Relaxed profile(yes, that is how wide my mouth was relaxed):

Closed profile(I cry when I see this one):

3.5 months post-op:

6 months post-op:

11.5 months post-op:

11.5 months post-op:

[/img]
October 8, 2008 Lefort1(6mm impaction), BSSO, Genioplasty, Turbinectomies, Partial septoplasty, gum recontoring

nomadic myth

#2 Post by nomadic myth »

Awesome results. I enjoy every new day currently, as I'm 7 weeks post-op. Things just keep getting better. Your profile changed remarkably. Now you have the true you.

charlsie142

#3 Post by charlsie142 »

Ozzy's Mom-- You look SO great! My before is very much like yours...so I have enjoyed reading your posts and seeing your awesome results! I may be considering the Costa Rica option (denied by insurance twice at this point due to the mention of my TMJ in the preauthorization letter-big no-no with my insurance company). If so, I'm sure you'll hear from me!

Thank you so much for sharing your experiences and photos! I would too if I had your results! :)

Lingualita

#4 Post by Lingualita »

You look terrific! Your new, fuller, more balanced face is fantastic. Especially your new profile and well-defined jaw.line looks amazing. I see that you've changed your hair as well. Just curious, was that to witdraw some of the attention from the changes in your face? Or is it purely a coincidence that you've changed your hair?

I can definately see similarities between you and I. Especially the gummy smile. I'm still waay behind you, I'm still waiting to see an OS to discuss possible surgery, but looking at your results make me so encouraged to go on with all of this.

Thank's for posting, it's so helpful to the rest of us :D .

OhioM

#5 Post by OhioM »

GORGEOUS! You look amazing! The change is truly remarkable.....I'm praying for the same type of results. Thanks for for the inspiration!

Are you feeling "normal" again, one year out? Are there any residual issues?

trish222

#6 Post by trish222 »

Great results. I am 9 weeks post-op and definately needed some encouragement-your pix did the trick! I had uppper, lower and genio. Still very swollen and numb. My lower jaw cannot even get one finger in at 9 weeks and my top jaw is still totally immobile. My smile was gummy, lip incompetence, dimply chin, very much like yours. Could you explain, if you already have not, exactly what you had done.

Jane

#7 Post by Jane »

You look AMAZING - always enjoy reading your posts/comments. Enjoy the rest of your life to the full. God bless xx

lisette

#8 Post by lisette »

You really do look wonderful. Did you have all your procedures - Lefort1(6mm impaction), BSSO, genioplasty, turbinectomies, partial septoplasty, gum recontoring -- done in Costa Rica or just the L1 and BSSO?

HokieTay

#9 Post by HokieTay »

Awesome! You look so great. The difference from before to after is night and day.

Do I recall correctly, you said you still had a little bit of lip incompetence and mentalis strain? I thought you said you did, but I cannot tell at all from these pictures!

My mentalis strain is getting better, but it's still there when my lips are closed.

I looked at some of OzzysMom old posts and under one it had Lefort1(6mm impaction), BSSO, Genioplasty, Turbinectomies, Partial septoplasty, gum recontoring.
Braces first time 12/96-11/99
Braces second time 12/08-10/09
BSSO & Le Fort I 6/15!
Unwired, in elastics, and on soft foods 6/26!!!
Orthodontic elastics 7/21-8/11
Braces off... OCTOBER 2ND, 2009!

2bpositive

#10 Post by 2bpositive »

Your results are just amazing and your profile is beautiful! You look fantastic!! You have got to be very happy with your new face and no more headaches.
Braces: Aug. 1, 2008
Surgery: July 30, 2009
Lefort I
Mandibular Osteotomy
Sliding Genio
Debraced: Feb. 23, 2010

PJ

#11 Post by PJ »

Wow! You really look great! I am 5 months post op, and still think my face has a bit of swelling left, so I am not feeling as good about my results yet. I'm really happy for you.

OzzysMom

#12 Post by OzzysMom »

Thank you all so much for your kind words.
Lingualita-My hair is naturally dark and wanted to go back to it after surgery.
OhioM-Yes, there are some residual issues as I'm still healing but that's to be expected. My lower jaw numbness is actually numb and hypersensitive at the same time. As my nerves are regenerating sometimes it feels like the area under my lower lip is wet(when it's not) and while my nerves are still confused, they sometimes interpret pain in the gum area of my lower front teeth. It's hard to explain. And of course, the lower lip feels like it's stretching still.

To those that asked, yes, I did have all my procedures done during the one surgery and it was done by Dr Reiche in Costa Rica.

Hokie Tay-I still sometimes have mentalis strain. I guess my muscles are still trying to figure out what they should be doing. It is slowly getting better and they are relaxing more. I wanted to post a pic where my muscles were relaxed though so people can see that it happens.

PJ-At 5 months I wasn't sure about my final results either. My smile was still wonky and I showed a lot of lower gum when I smiled as I couldn't control my muscles very well at that time. I guarantee that when you reach your 1 year mark, you will have healed so much more.

Trish, are you doing any exercises for ROM? It took awhile for mine to come back as well.

Hope I answered all the questions. Thank you all for being here.
October 8, 2008 Lefort1(6mm impaction), BSSO, Genioplasty, Turbinectomies, Partial septoplasty, gum recontoring

chicago29

#13 Post by chicago29 »

OzzysMom,

I've said it before and I'll say it again...You look AMAZING!!!

When I see results like this, I honestly get warm fuzzies inside! And, it makes me comfortable knowing I too am doing the right thing.

I wish you nothing but the best and please keep us posted as you finish out your journey.

Regards
Chicago29

Esoteric

#14 Post by Esoteric »

Awesome, it looks like you just keep getting better looking over time :D You're doing the opposite of aging!
----Eric
SARPE survivor 9-3-08
Braced 10-15-08
Evil expander removed 3-21-09
Surgery Survivor Sept 09
Braces off July 13, 10

Skitters

#15 Post by Skitters »

You look absolutely gorgeous! You've been a major source of support for me throughout my surgery process and I thank you for that!