Bone healing

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

x2002txv

Bone healing

#1 Post by x2002txv »

Hello all,

I am having my surgery in December and was wondering how long the jaw bone takes to heal.

I am asking because I kickbox and want to know how long it will be before I can fight again. I am guessing that I will have no contact sports for january and february and then start some light contact in march before fighting again in April.

Does this sound reasonable?

Skitters

#2 Post by Skitters »

I think I had heard that bones are completely healed for 8 months....but I could be totally wrong. I think your best bet is to speak with your surgeon and ask when it would be "safe" for you to resume your kickboxing. Good luck with everything!

AF104

#3 Post by AF104 »

It takes a year for full healing.

x2002txv

healing

#4 Post by x2002txv »

Thanks for the responses everyone...

Okay now that I know how long it takes to fully heal...I definately won't be waiting a year before I am in full contact sports.

Does anyone know how long before you can play full contact, with no pain?

jordan82

#5 Post by jordan82 »

After 6 weeks your bone is technically as strong as it is going to get but it takes 1 year for the bones to fully regenerate and heal under the microscope. I asked my suregen specifically about being punched in the face( Im a 20 something guy things happen lol) and he said not to take any punches in the face for 1 year.

If I were you I wouldnt want to risk a broken jaw but on the other hand if the bone is healed after 6 weeks maybe you will be fine to take a shot to the jaw after 4 months. See how your body responds if it hurts more than it should then stop. I know how you feel about waiting to get back into sports. I start hockey at the end of the month and that will be barely 6 weeks post op.

Skitters

#6 Post by Skitters »

I am almost 8 months out of double jaw surgery now and have been back to horseback riding for about 4 months now. Although I don't take any "shots to the face", just the jarring of my jaw is still EXTREMELY sore when I ride. I'm pretty sure it's more the muscles than the jaw itself, however, just a fair warning that your face will probably be pretty sore (hopefully not flat out painful) for quite some time.

x2002txv

Bone healing

#7 Post by x2002txv »

6 weeks it is...haha

Jvivek

#8 Post by Jvivek »

6 weeks for healthy 30 year old and younger
12 weeks for complete

Add 1.5 day per year after age 30

so if you are 40 years healthy, it would take: 42 days + 1.5x10 = 57 days

114 days for complete.