How much did your surgery cost?

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

chicago29

#16 Post by chicago29 »

BRACES: $5680
SARPE & MSDO: $11,800 + 25% Assistant Surgeon
HOSPITAL (2 Nights): About $19,250

I also can vouch for what was said in an above post...A vast majority of the hospital is surgical/recovery room fees. The actual "room and board" is only about $1000 per night. Stay in network if you can, and know that your insurance is likely only to pay 25 to 40% of the billed amount (the rest is negotiated discount). So, if you have to pay yourself, you have a very large area to negotiate with the hospital.

Planned fees for surgery #2:

LEFORT I: About $10,000 + 25% Assistant Surgeon
BSSO: About $9,000 + 25% Assistant Surgeon

Skitters

#17 Post by Skitters »

I was lucky. Since the hospital was in network for me, I'm only going to end up paying about $500 of the $94,000. The thing that is upsetting is that in the breakdown of what my insurance paid, well over HALF of the amount was written off by the hospital. If they can afford to write that much off, then why do they charge such ridiculous amounts to begin with?

Tribal

#18 Post by Tribal »

wow... I'm glad I live in Canada. All I've had to pay for the surgery was $16 for some xrays (because my insurance covers 80%), everything else is covered by provincial health care.

Tribal

#19 Post by Tribal »

well, I did have to pay for the braces myself I guess because my insurance doesn't cover those and they're not covered by the province. So $5000 for that.

Laundraholic

#20 Post by Laundraholic »

I'm in Canada (Ontario) and for double jaw surgery the cost will be about $3500 (paying only for the surgeon's fee).
Provincial Health Care Plan (OHIP) pays for all the hospital stay and everything else.

My work benefits pays for 1/2 of my braces, and 100% of my xrays.
Work benefits will also pay a semi-private ward at the hospital (provincial health care only covers you for the general ward), but I'd probably pay the extra $30 to $40/night to upgrade to a private room.
I'm actually not too sure if the surgery will be covered partially or fully by my work benefits :oops:

Work benefits did reiumburse the $50 that I had paid for the oral surgeon consultation fee, so I'm hopeful that at it will at least partially cover the surgery.
I haven't bothered asking yet (still about 8 months to a year before I'm ready for surgery), because before starting this process I had fully expected the cost of the surgery to be MUCH MUCH more, and so $3500 seems a reasonable cost to me, esp when I see how much other people are paying.

Tribal

#21 Post by Tribal »

oh, wow... I took it for granted that all the provinces had the same coverage. In Nova Scotia the surgeon's fee and everything is covered for orthognathic surgery. In that case, glad I live in Nova Scotia!

Tlwood99

anyone have Cigna?

#22 Post by Tlwood99 »

I'm trying to figure out if Cigna will cover any of it. Does anyone know?

AF104

#23 Post by AF104 »

megankaz

#24 Post by megankaz »

Holy Crap People:

Here's Mine. I had a BSSO, one overnight in the hospital and I had the screws donated by a drug rep.

Braces : $5,000
Total (2) oral Surgeon Bill $10,000
Total Hospital Bill (AFTER NEGOTATING and insurance NOT COVERING ANYTHING): $7,000

For a total of cash paid: $22,000 for the BSSO and a perfect jaw.

Esoteric

#25 Post by Esoteric »

Wait, what's this about negotiating? How does one go about bringing that up. My surgery is going to be out of coverage so my insurance should be paying 60% up to the first 3 grand then 100% after that. Are you saying that I can negotiate that 3+ grand from the hospital?
----Eric
SARPE survivor 9-3-08
Braced 10-15-08
Evil expander removed 3-21-09
Surgery Survivor Sept 09
Braces off July 13, 10

chicago29

#26 Post by chicago29 »

Esoteric...I absolutely would try, but I'm not really sure how to go about negotiating with a hospital. After all, they won't know your bill until you are done and gone.

I'm lucky in the regard that my hospital is in network, so I know exactly the maximum I'll have to pay out of pocket. I feel for others that are not so lucky...

The thing is hospitals are no different than doctors in how they bill. Their "bill" will be outrageous, and they have negotiated discounts with insurance companies. These negotiated savings can be very high (even up to around 75%). For example, if your hospital bill is $10,000, the insurance is likely to pay only a fraction of that.

I'd like to think you can negotiate some savings...I just wish I had some pointers on what to say/do.

crazybeautiful

#27 Post by crazybeautiful »

I had to pay £70 for my extractions, and that's all because I'm on the NHS. If dentists were part of the NHS instead of private- which most of them here are now- I wouldn't have had to pay that either.

It annoyed me though because it was classed as cosmetic, even though the teeth were removed for the surgery :roll:

Anyway, have had SARME, and will have the bimax...eventually
~SARME, Nov 2007. 10mm expansion

My blog: http://crazybeautifulsurgery.blogspot.com/

SuperJet

#28 Post by SuperJet »

Tlwood99

Posted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 9:36 pm Post subject: anyone have Cigna?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm trying to figure out if Cigna will cover any of it. Does anyone know?

Im with Cigna and they are covering my lower jaw surgery 100%
Braces since May of 07
Lower Jaw advancement Surgery Oct 1!!

Smylee

#29 Post by Smylee »

Anyone from Newzealand? How much did your surgery cost ? and how much did the insurance cover?

braced4secondtime

#30 Post by braced4secondtime »

I live in Canada. My braces were 6,500, surgery was 3,000 (I haven't rec'd a seperate bill from the hospital yet, but don't expect to either) and Rx after surgery came to 200.