Possibly undergoing double jaw surgery. Pics attached!

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

lebron85

Possibly undergoing double jaw surgery. Pics attached!

#1 Post by lebron85 »

As someone who may also be going undergoing jaw surgery (possibly upper and lower) I have begun to mull over the risks, benefits and general mental well-being of myself before I even consider it a possibility.

As an ethnic person I have quite a prominent nose compared to most people. This is something I have inherited from my mum and I believe adds character (once again this is my belief). I have received negative comments about it, but the people who have directed the comments have done so in a 'bullying' fashion. It does have an effect on me, but I realize these comments were made out of their own insecurity rather than mine. I have considered rhinoplasty but I believe this would change me significantly and detract from any character. Plus its something I can live with as an imperfection.

Anyhoooo, my lower jaw is quite recessed which gives rise to accentuating my nose rather than bringing it into balance. This was mentioned by my orthodontist and I have been talking to a local maxiofacial surgeon about this. I am due to meet him this Saturday to discuss the effects of a lower jaw advancement + genioplasty. Obviously I have realized this will need to be coupled with upper jaw advancement. I haven't got a proper profile pic but I can add it soon.

Any help, tips, thoughts or any discourse would be greatly appreciated.

PICS: http://s149.photobucket.com/albums/s63/amricksingh/

lebron85

#2 Post by lebron85 »

Omission:

I'd like to add that I'm 23 and I've had braces for the last year and its nearing the time that my orthodontist would like me to decide whether I wanted the jaw surgery to correct a minor cross bite and recessed lower jaw.

Cheers.

scm007

#3 Post by scm007 »

Dude, you are good looking, stick with the minimum, seriously.

If I were you I'd get a sliding genioplasty and call it done. I will send you before and afters once my swelling goes down a bit.

I love my teeth

#4 Post by I love my teeth »

I totally agree!! You look good to me---------I wouldn't put myself through the surgery unless you either NEED it--medically, or really want it for personal self-esteem reasons.

I will probably need lower jaw advancement, and I am hoping and praying in the end I won't need it (fat chance!!) But it wouldn't be for cosmetic reasons, it would be because the OD told me my 11mm overjet will probably come back in 15+years if I don't have it done, IF he can't pull back my upper teeth enough not to rest on my lower lip..........so if that's the case, I will have to have it done, if he can move the teeth, and he feels it corrected the problem, and it won't recur, no way!!

good luck, I know it's a hard decision!
Wore Braces for 2 years, 5 months, 3 days

url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]
[/url]

lebron85

hi

#5 Post by lebron85 »

Thanks for the advice guys.
To 'I love my teeth', I would appreciate seeing any before/after pics. I hope your recovery is going well dude.

Surgery has been mentioned by my orthodontist due to my teeth not being properly aligned. (jaw is tilted to left, I think the term is called canting).
My Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon mentioned that this could be fixed concurrently with my recessed lower jaw by advancing and rotating it. As you guys have mentioned, I'm hoping for a minimal approach to any adjustments. I will discuss it with him this Saturday, fingers crossed it doesn't require too much work.

Any more info would be great!

Thanks all.

fromjersey

#6 Post by fromjersey »

lebron85: Do you have any profile pictures? Also, any pictures that show the cant in your lower jaw?
Helen

lebron85

#7 Post by lebron85 »

Added couple of new pics (profile) as requested.

fromjersey

#8 Post by fromjersey »

Lebron: You're a pretty good-looking fellow right now. For profiles, try to get a friend to do true profile, absolute right angle to the camera, neutral background and don't jut out your jaw. Many of us did that. But you want true before and after photos so you can see actual difference after work is done. Surgeons will do these photos too.
We all help each other here, and everybody getting the surgery helps all of us. I know I got the confidence to go forward from this site.
Looks like you are in Sydney? Or were on a trip?
Helen

lisab28

#9 Post by lisab28 »

scm007 wrote:Dude, you are good looking, stick with the minimum, seriously.

If I were you I'd get a sliding genioplasty and call it done. I will send you before and afters once my swelling goes down a bit.
i had a sliding genioplasty and it makes a huge difference in your face, its not just a small thing. i had an 8 mm genioplasty and i ended up looking like a man, and had it reversed. wouldnt recommend it, it makes ur face look a lot longer. got it completely reversed. here are before and after pics, and these are the BEST pictures i had of me post genioplasty 4 weeks after the surgery was done so most swelling was gone by then. had it done by someone with a very qualified reputation, so technical skills wasnt a problem, as i know this from how great the reversal looks. thats just what a genio looks like. the only times ive seen it look good on people was if it was coupled w/ other jaw surgeries to fit the whole face into the picture. i wouldnt do anything if i were u tho, even if u dont like teh way u look, going thru surgery is a lot to go thru and believe it or not you could look a lot WORST afterwards. i think you look great now anyway, =)

http://s509.photobucket.com/albums/s332 ... inbethany/

lisab28

#10 Post by lisab28 »

also, if u think i look good before i did anything, keep in mind that i thought i looked really ugly, despite what people were telling me. i didnt believe that it was all in my head till after i got the sliding genio and saw how bad i could really look.

fromjersey

#11 Post by fromjersey »

Dear lisab28: Sorry but I disagree with most of what you have said. In no way do I believe your "after" photos made you "look like a man". I believe those "after" photos present a normal-looking profile, well-balanced and nice-looking. Has anybody else, a doctor, a family member, a friend, told you that genioplasty made you "look like a man?"

I disagree completely that thinking your receding chin was unattractive was "all in your head". A receding chin throws the balance of a face off, can cause prejudice and stigmas from humans who consider it a "weakness", and is often not good functionally. (Genioplasty can correct sleep apnea and lip incompetence for example.) I believe all this is measurable scientifically and esthetically.

I sincerely regret that you had your genioplasty reversed. It saddens me because I think you do have a problem with body image, thinking a healthy profile made you "look like a man". I believe you now have a problem with body image.

It's not constructive for you to attempt to discourage people from having genioplasty. As to your remark that you have "only seen genioplasty look good "when in conjunction with BSSO, I disagree with that too. I had genioplasty alone and the consensus is that it looks great.

Jane

#12 Post by Jane »

My dear lisab. I just want to say that you look beautiful - just beautiful, and do you know what makes me so happy for you - that you NOW (at this moment) like the way you look. ANd that is what is most important. Not what anyone else thinks, but how you feel about yourself and I know from the posts you've sent me that you are very content with how you look and that is all that matters. Just keep smiling and keep confident because you've every reason to be, you're a beautiful young women with a beautiful spirit and that inner beauty is shining through. Much love Jane xx

fromjersey

#13 Post by fromjersey »

Many of us with receding chins have our lower facial muscles distorted and this resembles a scowl or a frown. So our means of facing and communicating with others is seriously compromised. It can interfere seriously with social interactions and psychological stability. I sincerely hope that those who suffer from this will do everything possible to change it.
Helen

Jane

#14 Post by Jane »

From Jersey - I am not a person who invites conflict, but I really feel I have to comment on what you have written above. I gather from your posts that you are a mature person. Well you should know better than to mess with a young woman's mind (or anyone for that matter) like that. That is a very cruel and dangerous thing to do - in effect it sounds like you're trying to make her feel that she's got some sort of psychological problem when she's clearly HAPPY with how she looks now. What did you hope to achieve?? I'm sure if she was your daughter you wouldn't be pleased if someone responded to her like that - it was totally uninvited and uncalled for. I hope you take this in in the spirit it is given, but it saddens and shocks me to see an older person respond to a young women in the way you did. I wish you well.

lisab28

#15 Post by lisab28 »

i agree that the profile looks normal in the pictures, but you cant really tell from the frontal picture how elongated the genioplasty made my face look from the front, and how much bigger and masculine my jaw looked. i only showed my family, boyfriend, and best friend, and all of them agreed that it was way too big for my face. i dont think that this guy could benefit from a genioplasty since i think it could make his face look unattractively long, like it did to mine. if you look at the before and after frontal pictures, you can sort of tell that the face is a lot longer from the front. however, those were the best pictures i had of the genioplasty since i got rid of the rest, and i dont feel like they do it justice.

im glad that i had it reversed because im now happy with what i look like. i think that my chin was recessed, but that a sliding genioplasty was not the solution, and if i wanted to really correct my bite, i would need to address my gummy smile and how my lower jaw is farther back than my upper jaw. simply making the chin larger would not address the larger issue at hand, and thats not something that i can financially afford. i dont think that i have a problem with body image anymore because altho i realize that my bite and profile arent perfect, im willing to live with it and it no longer bothers me, wheras before the whole genioplasty thing, i did.

i think its extremely constructive for me to discourage people from having surgery. if i had known that others were displeased with how their genioplsaty looked after the results, i wouldnt have thrown away my life savings and gone through hell. your opinion and experience is just as valid as mine. i believe that from what ive seen, people who've had genioplasties generally look better when jaw surgery addresses the whole picture, not just one. ive seen people who just had genioplasties who had better results than mine, but ive never actually seen one genioplasty picture where the person just had that and thought that they looked better afterwards vs before. i dont know what you look like but im glad that you were satisfied with your results.

what matters is how someone feels about themselves, perfect bite or not, and i think its useful for me to inform this person that their hopes may lead them to make a mistake and that its possible that surgeries can go awry aesthetically. had i known this, i wouldnt have gone thru what i did. my surgeon and i had agreed on a VERY different result than what i actually got, despite his amazing repuation and credability. psychologically speaking, i think that people need to realize that going through surgery can make you look a lot worse afterwards than before, and its my opinion that if this guy got ANY surgery, that would probably happen since i dont think that theres anything physically wrong with him that surgery could "improve"