Numbness Probability

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

ZmaN277

Numbness Probability

#1 Post by ZmaN277 »

The surgeon I spoke to today told me chance of prolonged numbness post-OP in the bottom lip/chin area (prolonger meaning greater than 3 months or so I presume) Is about 1/4 patients, and permanent numbness: a lower percentage of that.

Have any of you heard differently/know differently, or think this statement is about accurate?

Just curious.

Thanks,

ctoler1920

#2 Post by ctoler1920 »

I am a 5 weeks post op and I am still going for weekly visits (next week is the last week for that :D ) and my surgeon makes a point of telling me that it maybe 6 months to a year of numbness or chance of permanent numbness. I have feeling on the sides of my chin but the middle and bottom lip is still very numb.

Thathrill

#3 Post by Thathrill »

I hope I do not scare anyone but to my understanding the level of numbness depends on how much was done and the type of procedure. In my case I had BSSO. My bottom lip/chin were completely numb after surgery. This included the inside of my bottom lip and even the gums of my bottom jaw as well as my bottom molars. I welcomed the numbness in the beginning cuz I bit the inside of my lip pretty bad a few times and it looked really bad but I could not feel it so I was ok. as early as 2 weeks post, I noticed feeling very slowly returning. I am almost a year post op and I still have some numbness. The numbness is very slowly going away. Now it just feels like everything is asleep (like the tingling you get when your foot "falls asleep") I can feel everything but its dull in some spots. some spots are better than others like I have near 100% feeling on the left side of my bottom lip
Brace date: 5/2/2007
Debanding date: 1/14/2009
Ceramic Braces: 20 months
Currently in clear Essix retainers at night

My Blog: http://jjfan1.blogspot.com

zoeandnimo

#4 Post by zoeandnimo »

It really is different for everyone. I had a BSSO in March and all my feeling is already back at 3 months post op. My OS told me 3 - 6 months for the feeling to return, since nothing was damaged during the surgery.

OneGuy

#5 Post by OneGuy »

zoeandnimo wrote:It really is different for everyone. I had a BSSO in March and all my feeling is already back at 3 months post op. My OS told me 3 - 6 months for the feeling to return, since nothing was damaged during the surgery.
How many mm were your lower jaws moved forward? I believe the amount of numbness has a lot to do with the amount of advancement your jaws had.

brendan

#6 Post by brendan »

i am 3 months EXACTLY today and i still have a lot of numbness in my lower lip and the chin around it

zoeandnimo

#7 Post by zoeandnimo »

My jaw was moved forward 8 mm.