When does the numbness go?

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Muffinmamma

When does the numbness go?

#1 Post by Muffinmamma »

I'm lucky top lip is ok, left side of bottom lip ok but swollen. Right side is numb, I know sometimes it doesn't come back but if I'm lucky WHEN???!!!
I'm only 2 weeks post op so know I have to be patient.

brendan

Re: When does the numbness go?

#2 Post by brendan »

Muffinmamma wrote:I'm lucky top lip is ok, left side of bottom lip ok but swollen. Right side is numb, I know sometimes it doesn't come back but if I'm lucky WHEN???!!!
I'm only 2 weeks post op so know I have to be patient.
at 2 weeks, dont even ask this question. im almost 9 weeks and i still cant feel almost all my lower lip and chin :(

brendan

#3 Post by brendan »

correction, i can feel it, but its weird, like i can feel that i have my finger on it, but i still drool on my lip and chin all the time w/o noticing

Muffinmamma

#4 Post by Muffinmamma »

Yes, wasn't going to mention the drooling, at least mine is only down one side!

Figamentation

#5 Post by Figamentation »

I'm just over six months post op and the numbness still isn't fully gone...but each week I feel a little more. Every one is different and heals at a different rate, so no one can say when you'll be doing better but you'll probably notice improvement all the time. Just yesterday I had a braces adjustment and it was the first adjustment since the surgery that actually caused me discomfort and pain because the numbness had lingered so long.

PJ

#6 Post by PJ »

On the one hand--you are lucky that you already have some feeling in both lips! On the other hand--it is the lower lip, I was told, that has the possibility of permanent numbess, however, that is pretty rare, and at 2 weeks, you should not even be worrying about it. You'll just have to be patient.

I am now 6 weeks post op. I was lucky that I had total feeling in my lower lip, from day one, but my upper lip, nose and some parts of my face are still a bit numb. I have feeling everywhere, but it is not normal. I still can have food all over my upper lip and not even know it. :(

Anyway, just hang in there and hope for the best!

Skitters

#7 Post by Skitters »

I have to agree with everyone else, you are WAY to early in your recovery to worry about numbness. I'm going on 5 months after Lefort I and BSSO and the left half of my bottom lip and chin are still completely numb and the right half of my lip and chin still only get pins and needles when something touches them. Although I go through my moments of panic that the numbness is here to stay, I still remain very hopeful that everything will return to normal in time. I've read posts on here from people who took up to 18 months before feeling returned in their bottom lip. It's frustrating, but hang in there!

ctoler1920

#8 Post by ctoler1920 »

I am only 4 weeks post op and I would like to feel my chin and lower lip too!!! I thought I was a patient person but this is crazy.....but hey I elected to have this procedure :roll: I hope and pray that it comes back in 6 months or at least by time my braces come off :D

teylix

#9 Post by teylix »

im 4 weeks too and still have numbness myself.

i can feel my lips no problem but soon as i touch right below the lip is when it goes from fine to numb. it's only my right side though. sometimes i got food going down the side without even knowing it .. sigh

im getting more feeling in my chin.. i can feel the pressure but feels like a big pillow covering my chin mostly on that right side. oh well.. i think it gets a tad better every week or so.
BSSO and Le Fort I surgery + nose straightening done on May 4th.
Current status: Waiting for braces to come off next week! (09/20)

Thathrill

#10 Post by Thathrill »

expect to feel some numbness for quite a while. I was told that after a year you will have a good idea how much feeling you will get back. for me I am 11 month post and I can feel everything. Just have a lot of tingling and a dullness sense to touch now. The numbness is by far the most annoying thing about this procedure but I will take it over the pain.

I know someone who is over 2 years post and states she has a small spot about the size of a US quarter that is still pretty numb
Brace date: 5/2/2007
Debanding date: 1/14/2009
Ceramic Braces: 20 months
Currently in clear Essix retainers at night

My Blog: http://jjfan1.blogspot.com

archangel689

#11 Post by archangel689 »

If it buzzes and tingles does that mean that part of my face will return?

Do the parts that never come back, never buzz?

PJ

#12 Post by PJ »

I'm now almost 10 weeks post op, and finally, my upper lip has returned! :) The small area on my lower lip is still numb, but I can deal with that. The weird things are--there is an area on my chin, just below the lip, where every time I eat or drink, it gets a cold feeling, which mimics the feeling of having something wet on my face. Not fun--now I am always having to be sure that I don't really have something wet dripping down my face. The other thing is that the upper teeth/gums seem to be feeling like they have a hot/cold sensitivity--every time I brush my teeth it borders on painful. I sure hope that will go away! Anyone else have this?

Archangel689--You should ask your surgeon, but I think the buzzing/tingling is a good sign that you will get the feeling back eventually.

OzzysMom

#13 Post by OzzysMom »

PJ-my gums were bothering me a lot as well, especially my lowers. My ortho finally removed my wires and I am now in the middle of periodontal work-which is going to extend my ortho treatment. Hopefully that isn't the case with you but I thought I would mention it as a possibility. I know mine is probably the result of a lifetime of mouth breathing which is so destructive to gums.
October 8, 2008 Lefort1(6mm impaction), BSSO, Genioplasty, Turbinectomies, Partial septoplasty, gum recontoring

palht

#14 Post by palht »

I'm 1 week post op and only my lower lip and chin do not have any feeling at all. The recovery rate depends, but my surgeon said that with some "hot stuff" on your face on the very first days after the surgery, the process will be much faster.

PJ

#15 Post by PJ »

Ozzysmom--sorry to hear about your gum issues. I don't think that is my problem. I just had my teeth cleaned before surgery and was told everything looked good. This pain/cold feeling has only been since the surgery and when the feeling started returning, so I am hoping it's all part of the process, but it is very uncomfortable. I just started brushing with Sensodyne--maybe that will help.