Having chin wires removed post-op?

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

LemnzestManatee

Having chin wires removed post-op?

#1 Post by LemnzestManatee »

Okay, I'm not exactly sure what they're called but when I had my upper, lower, and sliding genio 5 weeks ago, they put a wire in both sides of my chin (not entirely sure why, but I'm guessing it has to do with the genio) which is scheduled for removal on June 4. Apparently its a simple procedure that I just have to be numbed for it their office, but I want to know what it was like from someone who has had to have these wires removed. I'm actually a little more scared of this small procedure than I was about the main surgery because I was put to sleep for the surgery but I'll be awake for this. (I've never been awake when they numbed me for a dental procedure before)
Does the needle that they use to inject the novacain hurt? And what does it feel like when they yank the wires out?

Figamentation

#2 Post by Figamentation »

This was actually one of the most memorable parts of my surgery (besides the liquid diet, swelling, numbness, etc). The doctor that took mine out wasn't my regular surgeon, but the chief resident who had assisted in my surgery. So he was experienced at removing the wires (that was obvious) but he was too young to have done it a million times like my regular doc.

The novocain shots do hurt, but no more so than any other shots you get in your mouth from a dentist. It's not a pleasure cruise but the pain subsides as soon as they are done. I have a pretty decent pain tolerance as well, so that what you will from this.

The part that was memorable for me was how freakishly long the wire was, I had NO idea there was that much wire...and how he took it out of me. He basically ended up pulling it out like a lawnmower string and zipped it rought outta my skull...I actually felt it go through my skull in places I never expected. It didn't hurt, it was just startling. I was so shocked I swore really loudly and started laughing. My doc laughed for a long time as well. The upper wire was less eventful and dramatic and was much shorter, only a couple of inches. I bled a very tiny little bit and I was numb (on top of the already present numbness from the surgery) for a few hours afterwards. I also had pain that came later that night and the next day that was a dull ache throughout my chin and skull. It was actually probably the most pain I felt throughout the post surgery process but even then it was totally manageable.

So all in all it was not a difficult experience and I think some people may have a much easier go of it than I did with a longer trained surgeon doing the removal. I have talked to a couple of people who had zero pain afterwards so I guess there is that possibility. The one key is do not get yourself worked up over it or stress, it always makes it worse! Relax and know that you are making strides in your recovery.

LemnzestManatee

#3 Post by LemnzestManatee »

Thank you so much for your post! I, luckily, have a rather high pain tolerance and I only have two wires on the bottom that have to be removed. I was mainly worried about the novacain shots because I have never had it done while awake.

tazzle

#4 Post by tazzle »

i will be having wires removed from bottom jaw as well , not exactly looking forward to the sensation but as i will be numbed up it will not be too bad and over quite quick .... noy sure how many wires.

I have had novocain a few times and the actual jabs LM do sting a bit , it would not be fair to fib .......... a sharp sensation but only unpleasant for a few seconds as the liquid goes in cause the gums dont have much elasticity ............. I just usually do some deep breathing and concentrate on relaxing head / neck and all of body.

once it is .. they can do what they like really and no pain :roll:

[/url]

ImageImage

Saffie

#5 Post by Saffie »

I had to get a local anaesthetic in my mouth for the first time a few months ago (alas, I no longer have a perfect record of zero fillings), and while it was kind of uncomfortable, it wasn't horrific. The one thing that freaked me out was that when the dentist got really close to the nerve, I could feel prickling sensations in places that were nowhere near the needle. I panicked a bit, but only because it was completely unexpected, and I thought that the weird feeling in the roof of my mouth might be the first symptom of an allergic reaction. It was uncomfortable rather than painful, and also completely normal so don't freak out if something like this happens to you.