Numbness again?

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

carcan

Numbness again?

#1 Post by carcan »

I know if differs for everyone but im having BSSO and was wondering how long it took for others to regain feeling in lower lip and chin?If you reply please let me know type of surgery, your age(b/c they say the older you are the more likely its permanent)and how long Post-OP. Thanks

Emaciated

#2 Post by Emaciated »

Had upper/lower/genio to correct underbite.
I was 31 at surgery, am now 33.
My chin is still numb, will be for the rest of my life I imagine. Doesn't bother me in the slightest.

Here are some other threads you may find useful:

How does numbness effect every day life?
viewtopic.php?t=26332

Chin Numbness
viewtopic.php?t=27245

Who is still numb after surgery?
viewtopic.php?t=26732

TinaAH

#3 Post by TinaAH »

I'm 42 and had upper surgery about 3 weeks ago. I was numb from my lower eyelids to my lower lip. I now am only numb in the apples of my cheeks, part of my nose and half of my upper lip. Seems like every day it gets a little bit better.

--Tina

Twinjoy

#4 Post by Twinjoy »

I had a BSSO and I am 23. My surgery was 8 days ago. I currently can't feel a circle that encompasses my lower lip and chin. The doc said my nerve was deep in the bone so he is positive I will make a 100% recovery.

redspecial

#5 Post by redspecial »

I had lower jaw surgery & chin done about 7 weeks ago. Lower lip and chin are still very numb, my doctor says thats normal and I should not be concerned.

carcan

Thanks

#6 Post by carcan »

Thank you all for replying to my post. I dont know what i would do with out this site, And all of your help.

brendan

#7 Post by brendan »

5 weeks ago

Lower Lip still numb
Chin area right below lower lip still numb

Dosnt bother me much, except for when you drip stuff, you dont notice it. Also.. kissing. I am really hoping my lower lip comes back.. crossing fingers! I am only 5 weeks so i imagine it will

LemnzestManatee

#8 Post by LemnzestManatee »

I had an upper and genio done to correct an overbite about...2, almost 3 weeks ago. A lot of the numbness in my face is gone. I could feel my entire right side about a week after surgery, but the nerves in part of my left cheek, my nose, and chin are still warped. Every few days I notice an increase in sensation, which is good.

carcan

permanent numbness

#9 Post by carcan »

Thats my worry, permanent numbness in my lower lip. I dont know how that would work with puckering, smiling and just movemant in general.

Figamentation

#10 Post by Figamentation »

The numbness usually doesn't affect the movement much at all. As I understand it, there are basically two types of nerves, one for sensation and one for movement and the ones that get a bit beat up are the sensation ones. So you can have full functionality and not feel a thing. There may be a loss of function but that is due to the muscles and the jaw healing (which is what I believe is happening in my own case) and as the muscles and jaw repair the functionality will come back.

Just to add I'm about 5 1/2 months post op and I have some sensation all over now but there's still underlying numbness in my right lower lip and chin and my gumline. Kissing JUST got to be a good thing again very recently. Thank goodness :)

ali01

#11 Post by ali01 »

i am 21 and 3 months post op from lower jaw surgery and genio. I have almost all the feeling back so hang in there :) However, i no longer have the tinggling sensation so im not sure if this means i've regained as much feeling as possible?

PJ

#12 Post by PJ »

I must be odd--while I was warned by the surgeon about the lower lip, I had feeling in it immediately after surgery--except for the far right corner, which is still numb. My concern is my upper lip--no sensation in it except for a cold feeling at times. Kissing and not leaving food/drink debris, or nasal discharge, on the lip are my biggest concerns. I have total function, just no feeling. Of course, I am also still numb in much of my face from the mouth up--I can only feel the tip of my nose. I am not too worried, as I know this can take time--plus, I am 45, which could make it take longer.

Emaciated

#13 Post by Emaciated »

FYI, here's a mobility vid I made awhile back with a totally numb chin if that gives you an idea of how mobility is not effected by numbness.
http://thisisjustwrong.com/mobility/Mobility.htm

sweetpea

#14 Post by sweetpea »

Hi Carcan

Have a look at my recent post. I'm one and a half years post op, and things continue to improve! All of a sudden. The numbness really isn't a problem when you get used to it, but I'm just intruigued that the feeling has suddenly improved. Don't come anywhere near my chin with a pin anymore!