2 months post op - difficulty with mouth opening

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

ali01

2 months post op - difficulty with mouth opening

#1 Post by ali01 »

Hey everyone.
I am 2 months post op - almost 3 from my lower jaw surgery and chin. Although i am very happy with the results, i am a little worried about opening my mouth. I can only open about 2 fingers wide still. Also, when i open my mouth, i feel this awkward pinching on the left side of my jaw. (this pinching is also there when i sneeze and yawn). i asked my surgen about this and he thinks it is to do with the muscles trying to get used to the jaw position. I am a little worried. Any comments please??

blindboarder2008
Location: in a house that has 4 walls, with lots of rooms!!! in Canada!

#2 Post by blindboarder2008 »

hmmm your surgeon could very well be right about your muscles still trying to get used to the new things. I don't have real life experience with this but it seems to me I have read about other people running into this same problem on this board. Best of luck with the rest of your recovery, how is talking going?????????
Braced: March 19th 2008
Impacted wisdom teeth extraction surgery: June 20th 2008 1pm (13 hours of fasting)
Jaw surgery (upper and lower)Lefort 1 with Madable Advancement: June 2nd 2009 @8am!!!! 1 surgery down 2 surgeries to go!!
debrace day: jan 18th 2010!!!! *has 2 fixed retainers and an essix retainer for night time now!

Skitters

#3 Post by Skitters »

Ali01 - I am about 3 months post op from double jaw surgery and I think we are experiencing the EXACT same "problems". I can just barely fit 2 fingers in my mouth (it takes some stretching and massaging of my jaw to work up to 2 fingers) and the left side of my jaw hurts (like a pinching feeling) whenever I open my mouth and sometimes when I swallow or even just move my tongue just right. I have been having this pain for about 2-3 weeks now and have not yet asked my surgeon about it, but I assume it is my muscles getting resituated. I noticed that if I stand in a hot shower and just massage the left side of my mouth, it feels SOOO much better...only temporarily though.

My orthodontist isn't too awfully concerned about my 2 finger ROM at this point. He said everyone regains movement at different rates. He did tell me he could get me into physical therapy for it if I wanted to do that. Mabe you should look into that if you're really concerned.

If the pain continues I will talk to my surgeon, but I think this is just a normal part of healing. Our poor mouths were pretty tore up during surgery and I think it will take awhile before everything gets back to normal.

ali01

#4 Post by ali01 »

Thanks for the responses! Even though i'm so far post op, i still worry that something has/will go wrong (i know, sounds silly :D)

Talking is going pretty well.. i used to tire out very easily, which im sure everyone can relate to. I was fortunate and did not have a lisp, which made it much easier to return to work/uni.

Skitters, glad to hear someone who has also experienced the same thing! Wish you all the best with your recovery.

Thathrill

#5 Post by Thathrill »

Give it some more time. you will soon notice that you will gain more ROM pretty soon. For me I was about 2 finger width for a long time and eventually I was back to normal.
Brace date: 5/2/2007
Debanding date: 1/14/2009
Ceramic Braces: 20 months
Currently in clear Essix retainers at night

My Blog: http://jjfan1.blogspot.com

OzzysMom

#6 Post by OzzysMom »

Same here. My ROM was about 2 fingers for a long time. I just passed my 6 month post-surg mark and still have a ways to go.
I've found that by doing exercises holding my mouth open with my fingers as much as I can until I feel the muscles relax has helped me a lot.
Best wishes on a great recovery!
October 8, 2008 Lefort1(6mm impaction), BSSO, Genioplasty, Turbinectomies, Partial septoplasty, gum recontoring

newsboysgrl777

#7 Post by newsboysgrl777 »

hey all, just wanted to point you to a blog that is EXTREMELY detailed..it's all about how this girl went through her surgery and everything and what she did to help herself heal, etc. She also takes questions and answers them for you and I know this could be extremely helpful. The site is http://www.smilingbella.com. Maybe you've heard of it/seen it? Either way, she talks about her ability to open her mouth and how far at what length of time post-op a lot...so I thought of it. good luck to all of you and I hope her site can be helpful to you!!! :)

newsboysgrl777

#8 Post by newsboysgrl777 »

Here is her VERY FIRST POST, in case you'd like to read it chronologically, etc. :) Although I didn't have surgery (and hopefully won't need it), I read the entire blog up to this date because it's so detailed and helpful. :) Here is the URL: http://www.smilingbella.com/2008/02/let ... -good.html

Polly

#9 Post by Polly »

I was months before I could open my mouth properly. Eventually the surgeon gave me excercises to do. He sent me home with a bag of tongue pressers (large lollypop sticks) I had to place as many as I could flat side down between my front teeth, then I had to foricbly tap another one in inbetween those to force the jaw open a bit wider, leave them there for a minute and take them out. Repeating the process as often as I could. Somedays I could get 2 extra sticks in, others just one. I started at managing a 7 stick opening and ended up at 27 :shock: It hurts and is uncomfortable at first but has been well worth it.

Polly x

brendan

#10 Post by brendan »

I started my jaw excercises at 14 days. Id say I can open my mouth about 1.5-2 fingers right now at around 2.8 weeks

TinaAH

#11 Post by TinaAH »

I continue to be so grateful for this forum. I'm at 10 days post op and I have just been starting to worry about this today. I can barely get my mouth open, even though there's really no pain. Its like my jaw is locked at about 1.5 fingers. I'm going to work at getting it more flexible, but its very reassuring to know that I may have to get used to this for awhile and there's nothing really wrong with it. Thanks everyone!

--Tina