My daughter had double jaw surgery and it has all gone wrong!

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

shenreice

Re: My daughter had double jaw surgery and it has all gone wrong!

#121 Post by shenreice »

I just had this done as well.

zaynab34

#122 Post by zaynab34 »

hello sheneriece, did you have redo of your double jaw surgery?

Sadjaw

#123 Post by Sadjaw »

Was her upper jaw protrusion resolved? How? Did she have another surgery?

underbitewars

#124 Post by underbitewars »

Wow it's kind of maddening that people aren't here to follow up, but I know life goes on. I'm wondering if I'm going to be in this same situation seeking revision. It's too early to tell right now, and I'm hoping time will resolve my concerns.

Lostfaith

#125 Post by Lostfaith »

I'm going to have to have a revision as well, my upper jaw has been over impacted and both jaws are still set back.i have seen a surgeon privately who has referred me to his NHS practice to see what they can do, if I can't get the funding then it will have to be privately. So upset I have gone from having a really nice smile to being scrunched up with little tooth show.

snapdresser

#126 Post by snapdresser »

Lostfaith wrote:I'm going to have to have a revision as well, my upper jaw has been over impacted and both jaws are still set back.i have seen a surgeon privately who has referred me to his NHS practice to see what they can do, if I can't get the funding then it will have to be privately. So upset I have gone from having a really nice smile to being scrunched up with little tooth show.
How many mm's of your upper incisors are showing? Any upper gum showing?
No braces
1-piece LeFort I + BSSO + Sliding Genio on 10 JUNE 2015!
Partial hardware removal 14 SEP 2018

Lostfaith

#127 Post by Lostfaith »

When smiling about 3mm, used to see the whole tooth and maybe a small bit of gum if really laughing.

Lostfaith

#128 Post by Lostfaith »

I also have some asymmetry, I now show to much of my bottom teeth and not enough upper. Quite honestly they have messed up my face. It needs a complete re do, I should have really had a 3D scan before not just working on the X-rays as its made existing asymmetry worse. If the NHS can't help I will most likely go abroad as I have 2 very good surgeons who can correct but if rather not have to. I'm fuming and really upset about the whole thing. They want me to have a cbct 3D scan and will plan it all out on the computer before which makes sense.

snapdresser

#129 Post by snapdresser »

Yeah, that's what they did for me (3D virtual surgical planning). Sounds like you had nice tooth show beforehand. What were they trying to do by impacting your maxilla?
No braces

Lostfaith

#130 Post by Lostfaith »

To correct lip incompetence.

Lovely email just received had about 10 now all saying over impacted , seen a few in person and a few had all X-rays and pictures , they don't hold back . Devastated

Thank you very much for your Mail. Of course we do revision orthognatic surgery. I understand your problem, because unfortunately you now have too little incisor show. Having a look at your pictures (and – it is actually not possible to make a correct diagnosis and treatment plan only with pictures… - because mimic and movement is very important too) — I get the impression that the upper jaw was not in a bad position before surgery. Your upper frontal teeth seemed to be protruded and your upper lip is very slim compared to the lower lip.
After surgery the upper jaw is definitely to high and everything seems to sink in – which looks old. Now you still have a slim lip, but also a too short upper jaw = mid facial area.
I am not sure yet, if only a revision of the upper jaw would be enough (concerning the occlusion) - but I would definitively take the maxilla a bit more caudally and I would recommend adressing the soft tissue of the upper lip to make it a bit fuller (not unnatural – but only fitting to the lower lip…).

snapdresser

#131 Post by snapdresser »

Dang. Yeah, I can't blame you for planning on getting a revision. In order to get NHS to pay for it, you'll have to have a functional complaint tho, right? Are there any issues with your bite, etc. now?
No braces

Lostfaith

#132 Post by Lostfaith »

No problems with bite but apparently they can help in some cases, if not then it's legal action and private

Lostfaith

#133 Post by Lostfaith »

Are you in the Uk ? Who done yours ?

snapdresser

#134 Post by snapdresser »

Alas, I'm in the U.S. Mine was covered by insurance. Private (at least over here) tends to be pretty astronomical in cost.
No braces

Lostfaith

#135 Post by Lostfaith »

Not many people normally need revisions and I'm a very hard revision as well....typical me nothing's ever easy. I've got a referral to 2 NHS hospitals and in one I will be seen by a group of surgeons. The trouble here is that not all surgeons perform this privately or are capable of complex revisions, you don't get their opinion until you pay for a consultation which is about £200. I have found that the surgeons elsewhere in Europe will look at the X-rays and clinical pictures and give a honest opinion before you see them as really there is no point going over if they can't help. It will and can be corrected but it's finding the right person and plan.