My daughter had double jaw surgery and it has all gone wrong!

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

changes09

#16 Post by changes09 »

My oral surgeon told my ortho how exactly he wanted to move my teeth. In my case the oral surgeon is the boss, and the orthodontist is the worker. My oral surgeon told the ortho how to move my teeth so that when he moves my jaw they will fit together nicely.

kaycee

#17 Post by kaycee »

Jane,

First let me say I am very sorry about what happened with your daughter. It can be extremely frustrating when you can see that something is not quite right but don't really know what the solution should be.

I am one of those that required a second surgery, there was a problem with the center alignment. My bite was also perfect, it was just in the wrong place. I am very fortunate in that both my orthodontist and oral surgeon both acknowledged there was a problem and worked together to correct the problem. My orthodontist was my greatest ally in convincing my OS that I needed a redo, the OS was wavering a bit but would have come around eventually. After my first surgery last summer, I had a number of appointments with both the orthodontist and oral surgeon to try to figure what could have gone wrong, etc. Is that an option for you, an appointment with both of them at the same time? It not only saved time, but they bounced ideas off of each other, examined me together, looked at my records together, said a bunch of medical words and then came to the decision together.

After the second surgery I could tell immediately that all was fixed. Looking back at pictures taken during that interim period, my face doesn't look right, I can see where it's crooked. And now I look even different than before. I am so glad I had the second surgery, not a walk in the park, but I will say that for me, the second recovery was quicker.

Good luck to you.

kaycee

Jane

#18 Post by Jane »

Kaycee... thank you so very much for sharing your experience. It has given me hope and I know that when I relate it to my daughter it will help her. I've just spent some time tonight on the phone encouraging her to go out with friends as she just wants to sit in. But she's a strong and determined girl (I know now why she needed to be!) She's at uni away from home. I think she is the bravest person I know and Im so proud of her. It is breaking my heart - as I write this - I'd gladly go through this myself a million times before putting her through it. But we are where we are and we've got to keep positive. Can I ask you how long after the first surgery did you have the second one? Thank God I found this site. God bless and I'm so pleased that all went well for you - so very, very pleased to read that. Take care and take some comfort in the fact that your very painful experience - and I do not under-estimate how painful and distressing it must have been might just help to give someone else much needed hope.)

bb

#19 Post by bb »

From my experience, it is the oral surgeon who is the expert on what surgical steps to take in order to ensure the patient has the best outcome esthetically.
I'm sorry for the stress you're going through. Do you still think that a reversal is the answer? She's come this far, I'd imagine that she's another surgical procedure away from getting the results she wanted.
A second surgery is not uncommon.
Best of luck.

lefortsg

#20 Post by lefortsg »

Dearest Jane,

I'm sorry and feel deeply about what had happened. However, My jaw surgery was done last week and the surgeon had over corrected my jaws by 2mm. He has informed me that this is so that the orthodontist working on my braces can move my teeth after the surgery so it will look excellent. I'm unsure if that might be the case for your daughter as well.

Meanwhile it'll be great to clarify with the surgeon and orthodontist the problem. I'm sure it will all go well Jane, it's only 12 weeks, things can change as the braces move :) Bless you and i pray for your daughter's problem to be resolved as the braces moves her teeth :)

kaycee

#21 Post by kaycee »

Jane,

My first surgery was July 2nd and the second was November 12th. Even though it was pretty clear that something was amiss immediately, my oral surgeon wanted to be sure that residual swelling wasn't contributing to the appearance of misalignment. He also wanted to be sure that it wasn't something that could be fixed by the orthodontist (which sometimes is the case.) That was why the joint appointments were so important, the OS could ask the OD, can you move this or that, and the OD would say, no because it would do this or that, etc.

I knew from my first surgery that the operating room schedule filled up three to four months ahead of time so when I went for the first joint appointment in August, I asked to be put on the schedule. That's when I knew it was serious: in order for them both to be free at the same time, one of them had to appear on his day off. If I hadn't asked to be scheduled then, the interval between the two dates would have been greater since the final desicion wasn't made until late October.

My oral surgeon and orthodontist work very closely together. They each prepare their own set of surgical records and compare notes before every procedure. I am so fortunate to have two highly regarded professionals working with me, I feel like I have come away from this experience with a whole new set of friends. People would ask if I was going to have the same surgeon the second time. It never occurred to me to have anyone else.

I hope this helps. My heart just aches for you and your daughter. It was different for me, I am older and I live in a small town so everyone pretty much knows what happened and why I walked around for half of last year either swollen or crooked. :wink:

kaycee

Jane

#22 Post by Jane »

Again...thank you all for the support. I feel more positive in my spirit today. I saw the surgeon who did the surgery (after the disasterous appointment with the orthodontist and the follow up surgeon sent an email to the surgeon who did the op with before and after photographs). Then I had a thought that I would I telephone the hospital - didn't say who I was - and ask if he was in the hospital. I managed to find out he was doing a clinic). So with my sister for support, I left work, and arrived unannounced - and yes he saw me! (never under-estimate the strength of a mother's determination!) It was useful and I feel we've got a bit further on. You may wonder why my daughter was not with me - she is in another part of the country at university (trying desperately to manage this and get on with things). She just flew back at the beginning of this week after the disasterous 12 week follow up apt. But we can fly her home again quickly as and when we need to have her seen. T

he surgeon is retiring this week but he has PROMISED he will not lose touch with this and that although he cannot be involved directly in the solution, he will be keeping informed of everything that is happening. Incidently he did acknowledge - albeit only from photos - she appeared to have a protruding upper mouth. Said xrays were crucial and that we need an urgent appointment with orthodontist and follow up surgeon - which is in the pipeline now. Thank you all and God bless - I will keep you all informed.

Jane

#23 Post by Jane »

Kaycee,

I thought I had replied to your post and discovered I had replied to myself (as a private message!). Just want to say we are going to ask to be put on the surgical list as you did, now that we know she can have another surgery 5-6 months after the last one (I didn't know how long she'd have to wait since last one) I have just been speaking to her and she did go out with her friends which I was glad about. She sent me through some photographs that someone had taken (it was a birthday party) and she looks so sad/uncomfortable in them - my emotions are all over the place (anger, sadness, despair, panic). But I keep reading the posts and telling myself she will be one of those people who end up with a happy outcome (I pray this so much!). Sometimes people can be so insenstive; some guy asked her was her mouth swollen (he probably didn't mean anything...) but it now makes her think people are looking at her and saying why did she do that; she looks worse than before?! We're trying to build up her confidence but it's very difficult. Anyway, thank you again for the advice and suggestions. God bless, Jane xx

Jane

#24 Post by Jane »

Just to keep all informed who are interested and have helped and offered advice...(again, thank you).

Received a letter today from the orthodontist who has arranged a JOINT appointment with the surgeon and himself on 27th March AND he offered to arrange a second opinion with a different group of surgeons (but still in our region). We thanked him very much for arranging the joint apt, took up the offer of the second opinion, and said we would also reserve the right to get a further opinion outside our region (should this be necessary). I hope that is the right response. We are just glad that things are moving in the right direction. Spoke to my daughter and she was delighted (just lovely to feel her spirit lift a bit). I impressed upon the orthodontist that we are very worried about our daughter's emotional wellbeing as she is very down and doesn't want to go out with friends, so we need to find some soloution(s) to this asap. Hopefully,he understands. Thank you all again. Love Jane x

lisab28

#25 Post by lisab28 »

hi jane,

im so sorry to hear that. =( i had just a sliding genioplasty and it was a complete disaster! i looked like a man afterwards--my lower jaw was so unnaturally large on my face. i did get it reversed and i look great now, very similar to how i did before. the surgery was a huge mistake. the change post-#1 surgery was very drastic as well. i hope that this makes you feel better. maybe she should go to someone else, too, perhaps this guy didn't know what he was doing

goodluck,
lisa

lisab28

#26 Post by lisab28 »

jane,

i feel for your daughter. for 6 weeks after the first surgery, i refused to go out in public (or even in private) without a bandage on my face to cover up my new, massively protruding chin. at first we thought it was just the swelling, but then it became apparent that the surgery was a huge mistake.

i'm now back to normal after the second reversal surgery and i feel great. it is possible, after a drastic change, to get things back to normal (or relatively). my face/chin isn't the same as it was before both surgeries, but it is so much better than it was after the first one, and i really like how i look now. i was in a lot of emotional distress over the summer when this happened to me and i know whats in like to not recognize your own face in the mirror/not want to go out in public, etc. i hope that you tell your daughter that i went through the same thing and by some miracle of G-d, everything is back to normal and in place now.

lisa

Jane

#27 Post by Jane »

Thank you so very much lisab for sharing this painful experience. It is indeed a real encouragement to know that things can be improved - I'm so very pleased to hear that you are now happy after such a horrendous experience. Thank God for that - I pray for my daughter's happiness too - this has been one of the most dificult times of my entire life (and I'm 50 years old and have gone through a lot). I waken up in the middle of the night and feel panic when she comes to my mind. I know she is so unhappy and she's trying to be so brave about it. I pray that very soon I will be one of those people who can say things turned out ok - I pray this with all of my heart. Your story gives me hope so thank you. God bless xx

lisab28

#28 Post by lisab28 »

hi, this guy's before/after pictures look amazing...maybe he could fix the problem:

http://www.drrichardjoseph.com/photos/123.php

lisa =)

Jane

#29 Post by Jane »

Just wanted to keep those who have taken an interest up to date...we have an appointment this coming wednesday 18th March for the BIG Xray and then a follow up on Friday 27th March with the 'new' surgeon and orthodontist to discuss their views/suggestions, etc. We've done some research on surgeons and have managed to arrange a second opinion with a professor (he now only does private work) for Tuesday 31st march he works outside of our region. The orthodontist has offered to arrrange a further opinon with a different group of surgeons/orthodontists in our region, which we're very happy to attend as well. We get the impression he doesn't want us to take the matter outside our NHS region - maybe I'm reading into it too much - anyway we are just praying that as a result of this we will find out really soon what the problem is and that there is a solution to it - even if that means a second surgery. Thank you all again for your good wishes and concern. I can honestly say we're not interested in pointing the blame at anyone we just want a solution for her and to see her SMILE again. Please pray with us for this. I wish you all well. God bless xx

fromjersey

#30 Post by fromjersey »

Is it possible to see any photos of this case that has been discussed here? I find it difficult to imagine what daughter looks like now or how she looked before.
It was good to see samples by Dr. Richard Joseph. Photos tell the story. I've seen so many successful cases, all showing photos and I believe that a good outcome represents the majority. But it has to be emotionally very, very painful to have a result that was not ideal. I personally had excellent outcome.
I hope that in the future you and your daughter can look back at what is going on now and all the bad part is over. The best of everything to you.
If any photos, please post.
Helen