Screws protruding

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

cmeyer115

Screws protruding

#1 Post by cmeyer115 »

HI, its been awhile. I had my BSSO on the lower jaw May 08. I have recently found a bump sticking out inside my cheek. After going to the doctor, he told me it was one of the screws protruding. I was given to options, one was to get the protruding part sheered off or, two to have it removed. I was still kinda shocked that the screw had repositioned and didn't like the idea too much off just cutting off the end, so I go in on the 17th for surgery again! They are going to remove all three screws on the left side. I will still have the right side set up, which is two screws and a plate with three more in it, after the third one wouldn't adhere. Just wondering if anyone else has had any issues like this after surgery>
Tks

kaycee

#2 Post by kaycee »

I have a bump on the bone under my eye, not sure if it's the screw or the plate that is protruding. I can feel the other plates but they are flat. My OS has offered to remove it in an in-office procedure where he will go up in under the tissues from my mouth and remove it. I will probably have it done this summer. :wink:

kaycee

Figamentation

#3 Post by Figamentation »

If I touch the area, I can feel two screws below my eyes right on the sides of my nose. They aren't visible but right about where my sunglasses go. My surgeons said that it's completely my call if I want them removed but as of right now I'm not too worried about it. Are yours causing you pain or are you just annoyed by them?

kaycee

#4 Post by kaycee »

I'm just annoyed by it. I've gotten bumped there a few times, not hard, just a tap, but it's been painful. I just think it shouldn't be there - you know, it's a reminder of everything I had to go through.

kaycee

cmeyer115

#5 Post by cmeyer115 »

Ok, I am finished with surgery. It went ok, but I do hate going under This time no throwing up with a closed mouth! It kinda reminds me of some of the better days after the BSSO itself, just with less swelling. My surgeon said it was my option as well, but that it was sticking out far enough to bother me after awhile.

Andantae

#6 Post by Andantae »

Hi cmeyer!!!

How goes everything? I have been a total stanger here too as of late.

Glad you got it taken care of. Now you are DONE with surgery!!! Are you still braced? I think your surgery was just a couple weeks before mine....
Braced 5-30-07 for 18-24 months
In-Ovation Uppers, Metal Lowers, TPA upper arch, Lower Lingual arch, no elastics.
100% Deep Bite, Crowding, Over Extrusion
BSSO & Genio surgery June 4th '08!

"Truth is a bully we all pretend to like." Gregory David Roberts -SHANTARAM

Andantae

#7 Post by Andantae »

Hi cmeyer!!!

How goes everything? I have been a total stanger here too as of late.

Glad you got it taken care of. Now you are DONE with surgery!!! Are you still braced? I think your surgery was just a couple weeks before mine....
Braced 5-30-07 for 18-24 months
In-Ovation Uppers, Metal Lowers, TPA upper arch, Lower Lingual arch, no elastics.
100% Deep Bite, Crowding, Over Extrusion
BSSO & Genio surgery June 4th '08!

"Truth is a bully we all pretend to like." Gregory David Roberts -SHANTARAM

cmeyer115

#8 Post by cmeyer115 »

Hi, yea I think we were close. Mine was May 21st and YES I got braces off the end of Jan. So now I am in retainers. I am loving it. How are things wit you? Do you still have numbness? I still have a good bit on mainly left side into lip and chin that is still numb. Hope all is well!![/i]

Graceful58

#9 Post by Graceful58 »

I was intrigued when I saw this topic as I had surgery on Dec 31st and at the beginning it felt like I had something stuck under my tongue and I really couldn't check it out until I was able to have the rubber bands removed and started putting my the bands on myself. I have all three screws poking through under the very back molar where I can feel it with my tongue. It's not painful but bothersome, so six months down the road my OS will remove them under general.
Lower Jaw Advancement & Mentoplasty- Dec 31st...Happy New Year!!!

http://bracefacemom.blogspot.com/

Blessings,
Graceful