Skitters 3 days out LEFORT 1 & BSSO

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Skitters

#16 Post by Skitters »

Not much change to mention today. Just thought I'd get some new pics up. AND apologize that I haven't changed the subject of this thread...for some reason I can't find the "edit" button to do that....ugh....I'll figure it out eventually!

Day 9

Skitters

#17 Post by Skitters »

Not much change to mention today. Just thought I'd get some new pics up. AND apologize that I haven't changed the subject of this thread...for some reason I can't find the "edit" button to do that....ugh....I'll figure it out eventually!

Day 9

Skitters

#18 Post by Skitters »

:x Of course, I can't figure out how to change the subject let alone delete a double post....SORRY!!!! :oops:

chicago29

#19 Post by chicago29 »

It seems like all of the stories I follow on here, the person that thinks the swelling is going down the least is the person who is of course experiencing it. I understand that, and I'm about to understand that :-)

HOWEVER, you can see a difference again at day 9. I think your swelling is down and you're starting to see the new profile emerge. You're well on the way to recovery and if you can get that eating thing down, this is all going to be behind you in a matter of a few more weeks.

On the numbness, I'm sure you've seen the posts on here. Some people get very lucky and have little loss of feeling post-op. Most have some deficit for at least the first couple of months. If you are really worried about it I would definitely bring it up with your OS, but something tells me that if a nerve was significantly damaged during the procedure you'd have been told. And even if it was severed, many people do get some degree of feeling back in due time (albeit it can take several months if not a year or more).

So, hang in there and know we're all sending you healing thoughts!!!

Skitters

#20 Post by Skitters »

Day 11
Feeling MUCH better the past couple days. Had my first follow-up appt with the surgeon yesterday and he's very happy with everything. He said everything is exactly in place and lining up great (phew!). He put me on some anti-inflammatories and muscle relaxants for the swelling and muscle tightness in my face. I go back in 2 weeks.

My mouth is finally opening enough for me to use a spoon which has made eating WAY easier. My energy is slowly coming back (getting more food now -yay!). I am finally able to close my lips together which is definately helping contain the drooling problem. All in all, I'm pretty sure the worst is over and in a few weeks I'm sure I'll be really happy I did it! Take care all.
day11

switchblades

#21 Post by switchblades »

Looks great so far, I see a lot less swelling as well, especially in your side profile. Good you're eating a bit better now too! I'm having BSSO in the fall this year, so hopefully I'll have as few complications as you!
Initial Consult: August 22nd, 2008
Upper Arch Bracketed: October 22nd, 2008
Lower Arch Bracketed: December 3rd, 2008
Debraced: October 15th, 2009

My Story: http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... sc&start=0

FuzzyPants

#22 Post by FuzzyPants »

You're definitely looking better. It's great that you can eat more now. It will help your strength and energy levels.
Braced October 17, 2007
BSSO and Lefort August 13, 2008
De-braced November 24, 2008

Skitters

#23 Post by Skitters »

Day 13
Thanks for the words of encouragement concerning the swelling. It helps to know it IS going down despite the fact I don't notice it too much myself. I'm eating way better now and have gained back a couple pounds already. I still have the same amount of numbness and the horrible tight feeling all over, but things are looking up a little more each day.

I'll be happy when I have full movement back in my face so I can smile normally. Does anyone know about how long that takes? I guess it depends mostly on the swelling, but I'm just wondering. thanks!

Day 13

Skitters

#24 Post by Skitters »

Day 16
Not a whole lot of change in the past few days. The swelling in the right side of my face is being a bit more stubborn than the rest. My lips still don't meet at rest which means I must have more swelling left than I realize. Still having that save horrible "tight" feeling across all the numb areas. Can't wait until that goes away! I'm at the point now since the progress has slowed than I'm getting very frustrated and feeling like I'm not doing as well as I had hoped at this point. Just trying to tell myself to give it time.

Back to work tomorrow on light duty. I deliver mail on a 15 mile walking route. Since we have almost 4 feet of snow on the ground, I think it'll be awhile before I'm back to full duty. I'll spend this week just working mail in the office and depending how I feel, I'll try carrying alittle next week. My biggest fear is falling on the ice and snow :shock: that would probably NOT be good for my poor jaws.

I'll post some new pics in a few days and, fingers crossed, there will be a big difference from the last ones. :D

kelly J

#25 Post by kelly J »

Hi Skitters - congratulations you look fantastic and have made a great recovery :D

I had the same surgery and I'm 24 days post op now - it's been interesting reading your concerns minicking mine! I had veggie chilli and rice tonight and using very small fork-fulls I ate a small portion. That definately makes me feel like I'm making progress - after one wk of syringe diet and 2 more wks of sucking chocolate :lol:

I'm with you on the numbness/tightness - even though I know it's early days I panic that I can't live with this feeling forever! I'm still slightly more swollen on one side than the other so waiting for that to go down. I'm banded shut but can remove the front one for eating.

Keep on posting - I'll try to get my progress shots up here too

Take care xx

OzzysMom

#26 Post by OzzysMom »

Hi there, you are looking great! It sounds that what you are experiencing is totally normal. One thing that a few people here told me was that the first 2 weeks you see dramatic differences each day, then the changes happen gradually.
The right side of my face was more swollen as well(it still is but only noticable to me), and I was told that is normal. I just kept telling myself that it was all a part of the healing process and I am trying my best to be patient. Sometimes it's frustrating because the swelling would go up and down. Also, trying to eat again, talking, and the intensity of the tingles around week 4 drove me nuts. Then I began noticing the big changes from week to week. Also, after around a month I felt a lot of my energy come back.

You are healing great so just hang in there!
October 8, 2008 Lefort1(6mm impaction), BSSO, Genioplasty, Turbinectomies, Partial septoplasty, gum recontoring

Skitters

#27 Post by Skitters »

Day 19
Thanks kelly and Ozzysmom for the support. It's very encouraging to hear that although I FEEL like everything is going horribly wrong, that everything I'm going through is pretty normal.

Things seem to have plateaued lately. I'm still pretty swollen. Not noticing any improvement in the numbness yet. This is my third day at work on light duty. I've been working about 6-7 hours and have been on my feet all day despite the "light duty". I spend most of the day sweeping and mopping...ugh. Can't wait till I can get out and really do my job!

I'm still alittle frustrated at the VERY slow progress for the last week, but I'm sure things will start to happen soon (I hope! haha). At least I've learned how to chop my food up so it's swallowable. Hey, I think I just invented a word! :lol:

phil

#28 Post by phil »

Hey, Skitters, feel free to create as many new words as you need to. Whatever works!

I'm coming in late to your thread, as I just realized last night that AW was back up. Congratulations on making it through the worst of it.

Light physical activity every day will help with your swelling, and a nice walk can certainly help with your mood, if you have a nice place where you can do that, like a park. I know on a day like today, when the sun is shining, it really does me some good to get out in it and enjoy the sunshine. When you can get back to your regular job, I'm sure that will help a lot!

Make sure that you are doing everything you can to encourage your own healing--rest, proper nutrition, and plenty of water! In time, you'll see your own face re-emerge--of course, looking different than it did before surgery, though! Your pic on day 13 shows great progress, so hang in there.

Be well, and at peace,

Phil
There are no ordinary moments.
Check out my blog! http://pcadams.wordpress.com/

Skitters

#29 Post by Skitters »

Day 21 - I can't believe it's already been 3 weeks!!!

Thanks for the support Phil! I'm dying to get outside for a good length of time, however, we have about 3 feet of snow and it's been a high in the teens lately. Not great weather for walking in my condition :? . I think I've actually been OVER doing the activity at work because my swelling has come back up since I went back to work even though it's "light duty".

Not counting my face, I feel like my normal self. I'm eating regular foods...just chopping stuff up small enough to swallow without chewing, therefore my energy is almost back to normal. As I mentioned, the swelling has come back up which is frustrating, but I'm dealing with it. The right side is definately more swollen than the left which is odd because the surgeon said the left was the side that had more work to do.

Here are some new pics. Notice I only have half a smile on my not-so-swollen right side. The newest problem is the acne that I've seen others mention. Ugh. Anyway, I've got to say I'm proud of myself for surviving the first 3 weeks and hope the next 3 go just as quickly! Can't wait to see the new me :D .

Rebelda

#30 Post by Rebelda »

You are an inspiration to me right now...i am just 3 days post op, so the swelling is at its worst. I just want to hit that fast forward button!