Skitters 3 days out LEFORT 1 & BSSO

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Skitters

Skitters 3 days out LEFORT 1 & BSSO

#1 Post by Skitters »

First of all THANK GOODNESS this board is up and running again. It just made my day to log on and see we can post again.

Well, I survived surgery but have some questions. For starters, the IDIOT doctors at the hospital (I'll go into detail on that later) sent me home the following morning. Well, they discharged me the following morning, I never got started on my 3 HOUR RIDE HOME until almost 4pm. So I've pretty much been on my own since the start. Here are a few questions:

Am I supposed to wear this jaw bra full time? nobody told me

I woke up from a nap this morning and coughed up a HUGE chunk of a snot/blood clot....is that normal? I'm afraid I'll choke if I get another one.

Has anyone had blood in their urine after surgery?

I know there's more I want to ask, but I'm still pretty wiped out and I wasn't prepared to be able to post. I'd appreciate any advice possible. Thanks again for getting the board up and going again!!!! :D

Skitters

#2 Post by Skitters »

Ok, I have another burst of energy so I'll add alittle. If I could find my camera memory card I'd post some pics.

So, I'm still WAY swollen though it's come down alittle since Saturday. I have no splint (thankful for that) and no bands or wires. My surgeon had told me he doesn't usually use any of those things post op. My main problem is still the entire numbness of my face which is resulting in a whole lot of drooling and trying to swallow. Other than that, I'm surviving. Hoping things get better from here on out. Hope time keeps going fast...can't believe it's already day 3.

FuzzyPants

#3 Post by FuzzyPants »

Congratulations Skitters!

In Canada and the US it's totally normal to be discharged the day after surgery. Too bad you had a long drive home.

You should wear your jaw bra full time for the first week or so. The compression helps with the swelling in your lower jaw. Call your surgeon's office to find out how long he would like you to wear it.

Blood in your nose/throat is normal for the first few days, but don't blow your nose! Blood in you urine? Hmm. I don't know... Did you have a catheter?

Sorry about you numb face. A lot of people had to carry drool towels around with them until they got some feeling back.

The worst will be over soon. Good luck with your recovery.
Braced October 17, 2007
BSSO and Lefort August 13, 2008
De-braced November 24, 2008

Skitters

#4 Post by Skitters »

Thanks FuzzyPants. I'm now into day four and though the swelling looks a slight bit better, I unfortunately feel the same. I was able to have my husband call the OS and he told me I didn't have to wear the jaw bra anymore. I think I'll take your advice though, if nothing else, just to try to contain the swelling. I think it's being especially stubborn because I only got ice for about 2 hours in the hospital. As I said, they were IDIOTS. I woke up with a warm ice pack on and asked for more...then hours later I woke up again with another warm ice pack, so on and so forth through the first night, and then they took it off that morning and I sat in the car for almost 7 hours with no ice. Anyway, that's my sob story, I'm trying to forget that horrible day and move on with recovery. Thanks for answering!!!

Munkys Girl
Location: Teesside, UK Girlfriend to: a Lefort 1 & BSSO patient!

#5 Post by Munkys Girl »

Hey there, glad you're doing ok. My boyfriend had the same surgery and also didn't have bands for the first week. Are you not getting them put on at all? They also didn't use ice at the hospital because the nurses told us it's not actually proven to do anything! That seemed odd to me but his swelling came down alot in the first couple of weeks anyway so I'm sure you'll be ok!
ImageImage

Skitters

#6 Post by Skitters »

Hey MG. Glad you and your bf are still doing good. I don't know if I'll be getting bands or not. I have to assume I will at some point. Interesting to hear your hospital didn't think ice was neccessary..hmmm.

Ok, so I totally expected this numb thing to happen and I know it could take weeks (even months heaven forbid) to get back. What I want to know, is how long USUALLY until enough feeling comes back to prevent constant drooling? I'm getting frustrated with that part already.

Other than that, I guess things are pretty okay. I'm up and around and feeling good but tired. I promise I'll try to get pics up when I have a bit more energy. Talk to you later.

Skitters

#7 Post by Skitters »

Alright, Let's try some pics...

Day 3

Day 4

FuzzyPants

#8 Post by FuzzyPants »

Ah those photos take me back...

Ice will feel good, even if it does nothing for swelling. Everyone is different, but i'll bet that your drooling will improve once your swelling goes down.

Your poor lips look sore. I used comfrey root and leaves (found at health food stores) boiled in water and applied with a gauze to heal my lips. It worked really well for me.
Braced October 17, 2007
BSSO and Lefort August 13, 2008
De-braced November 24, 2008

Skitters

#9 Post by Skitters »

Fuzzy Pants...I hope you're right about the drooling. That has GOT to be the worst part of this. I can't sit up straight or stand up without holding a rag to my face....how frustrating!

Last night was definately the worst so far. Was up all nite with diarrahea and now feel really really run down. I'll check intomorrow with new pics. Thanks!

Munkys Girl
Location: Teesside, UK Girlfriend to: a Lefort 1 & BSSO patient!

#10 Post by Munkys Girl »

Aww, I had a good giggle at the expense of my bf about the drooling! I think it got better from about Day 4 or 5 when I started to notice a little more movement in his bottom lip. He didn't get feeling back in it yet but like FuzzyPants said, I think it gets easier as the swelling goes down.

What was your jaw like before? Looks like perfect positioning now :)
ImageImage

Skitters

#11 Post by Skitters »

Thanks for the kind words MG. I'm so jealous after reading that your bf was able to drink from a cup so soon! I tried it today and it was a complete and total failure. I'm trying to find a good example of my jaw before surgery. I had an overdevoloped upper jaw (very gummy smile) and an underdeveloped lower jaw (small chin), and a cross bite that orthodontics alone made much much better.

Today I'm feeling much better than yesterday. I'm alittle bummed about my slowly deflating face though. After seeing everyone else's pics and amazing progress I feel like I'm running behind. Still VERY swollen and totally numb. Yogurt is the most solid food I can fit in my mouth even though I'm not banded or wired, and I still slobber like a fiend. Anyway, here I am today...sorry about the poor quality...technical difficulties :lol:

Day 6'
By [URL=http://profile.imageshack.us/user/Skitzcat]Skitzcat[/URL

Skitters

#12 Post by Skitters »

Day 7----I survived the first week yay!!! Not feeling so groggy anymore. Still trying and failing to eat pureed stuff. I can get it in my mouth, but anything with even a little bit of consistancy feeling makes me pain like I'm going to choke and I just can't do it. I'm a wuss, I know.

Starting to get some patches of feeling back in my face. Bottom lip and chin are still TOTALLY numb. From what I've read those are often the last things to come back...looks like I'll be holding a drool rag for quite a while. Overall, I feel and look much better. Looking forward to the ortho appt today to see what he thinks!

Day 7 - as much of a smile as i can make
By Skitzcat
By Skitzcat

Here are my PRE surgery mug shots to give you an idea of my issues
By Skitzcat

chicago29

#13 Post by chicago29 »

For the eating, have you tried Zip-N-Squeeze bags? I bought them for my upcoming surgery, and have heard on here that many people found them very helpful. It sounds like your issue is with the consistency of the food, so the only thing I could recommend there is blend it better :-) And I'm not sure if that's possible...

Anyway glad to hear things are getting better...By looking at your pics I can notice the swelling is going down. I bet by this time next week you'll see a dramatic difference.

Take Care and keep us posted...

Esoteric

#14 Post by Esoteric »

Looks like your swelling has gone down a lot, and looks like things are going well. Like the previous poster said, you'll look 2 times better by next week. I can't wait to be all swollen up :lol: .
----Eric
SARPE survivor 9-3-08
Braced 10-15-08
Evil expander removed 3-21-09
Surgery Survivor Sept 09
Braces off July 13, 10

Skitters

#15 Post by Skitters »

Chicago29 - I do have the zip & sqeeze bags which definately help, I just have issues about "injecting" my food into my throat :shock: Like I said, I'm a wuss
Esoteric- Thanks...hope you're right about the next week's progress!

I went to the ortho yestday and he did some xrays. He's VERY happy with the results. He has spoken to my surgeon and they both agree that the surgery was 100% successful as far as the skeletal goals are concerned. He kept calling the surgery a "homerun", so I'm glad it was definately worthwhile.

He did however seem shocked at the extent of my numbness and how much it is affecting the use of my bottom lip. He kept telling me he really doesn't have much experience with double jaw patients and I'm one of only about 3 of the rigid fixations he's worked with, so this may be normal. Kinda made me nervous when he tried to call my surgeon at the office AND on his cell phone to ask about it though...didn't get threw on either by the way.

For now I'm just trying to assume everything is normal and I'll ask the surgeon himself on Monday at my appointment. I'll try to get a new pic up tomorrow. Thanks!