Numbness on roof and gums after LeForte I

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

ssspidermom

Numbness on roof and gums after LeForte I

#1 Post by ssspidermom »

Hey all!

I've been gone for some time - traveled all summer and started a PhD program in Aug. - which kept me unbelievably busy! But winter break is here so I thought I'd check in.

I still have lots of numbness on the roof of my mouth and upper gums, following my April 2008 upper jaw surgery (LeForte 1). I'm wondering how long this has lasted for people.
~~Plant seeds and sing songs~~

gatorseh

#2 Post by gatorseh »

I'd like to know this as well. I'm 12 weeks out and my upper gums and a large part of my palate are still entirely numb, no tingles no nothing.

taniastar

#3 Post by taniastar »

I would also like to know this!! I had a Lefort 1 and genio on Nov 26 2008 so I am almost 8 weeks post op and I have no feeling in my upper gums or the roof of my mouth. I also have extreme tooth sensitivity on all my upper teeth. My surgeon just keeps saying, oh it is still early, just wait.

Not trying to complain though, I am generally very happy with the results!

FuzzyPants

#4 Post by FuzzyPants »

Five months out and my upper gums and palate are partially numb too. My surgeon said it could take up to a year for those nerves to recover. :shock:
Braced October 17, 2007
BSSO and Lefort August 13, 2008
De-braced November 24, 2008

KelleyKam

#5 Post by KelleyKam »

I'm about 6 months post surgery. While the roof of my mouth isn't numb, it kinda tickles when I move my tongue across it. It's a weird feeling.
Kam's Jaw Surgery Journey:
http://kamjaw.blogspot.com/

Delag

#6 Post by Delag »

I´m right there with you. I had SARPE in early April, and I still am numb on the roof of my mouth and gums...and have swelling. The swelling is always worse after an adjustment, so I hope some of this resolves itself when the braces come off. The Ortho says not to worry till the one year mark......yikes....that is only about two months away......

New Yorker

#7 Post by New Yorker »

It took a couple of years for my gums/palate to regain their full sensitivity. Now my gums are my barometer--I can always tell when the weather is going to shift because my gums start feeling sore and itchy. :lol: Other wise they're fine.

Arvensis

#8 Post by Arvensis »

Hi spider.

I too have been MIA but was just thinking about this today.The roof of my mouth is fine but my upper gums in the front is still numb. I can tell I al touching it by that is all. I am over a year. Oh well, doesnt really bother me I suppose if I just now noticed ;)
[8 Months, 4 days with Braces]
Braces off 4/17/2008 - Rockstar!

Before and After.