7 Day Post-Op Report and Pictures

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

rty7186

7 Day Post-Op Report and Pictures

#1 Post by rty7186 »

Hello all! It's been 7 days since I had an lower jaw advancement of 8mm and a genioplasty advancement of 3mm. My lower jaw was actually overcorrected so as of now my front teeth are on top of each other. I still have some spacing so my teeth will fall right into place once the spacing is gone. I posted some pics at the address below so I hope you can see them. If not please let me know so I can correct it. I've never used flickr before.

All is well on this end. I've had no pain since I've been home which was Tuesday the 2nd, surgery was the 1st. I did continue to take the serious pain killers only to be on the safe side. I didn't want to wake up in the middle of the night with a throbbing jaw so I played it safe. I stopped taking those meds on Friday because I figured the worst pain would be over and now the healing would begin. So far, so good. I continue to take my antibiotics but should be done with those within a day. Take them every 6 hours. I can brush my teeth and also rinse 3/4 times a day with an oral rinse I was provided.

As of today I've lost 6 lbs within the week. Sometimes it's so hard to find something to eat. I get tired of cream of wheat, pudding, mashed potatoes, etc. I need some substance!! I go to the oral surgeon on Wednesday so we will see what he says about my dietary restrictions. I can currently open my jaw 22mm. Don't know if that's good or not.

I guess my only real complaint is the numbness. I don't like it at all!! From what I've read on these forums is that I don't have as much numbing as far as surface area compared to others. Some others have had numbing on the sides of the face and even the eye area. I look up to those people though. Most everyone has regained most of their feeling. If they were able to make it through then I know I can. Right now the left side of my lower lip towards the chin area is pretty numb. Almost like a V-shape with the top of the V on the left side of lower lip. Wish it was the other way around, with the V being upside down. I'd love to feel the left side of my lip!! I can feel the outer edge of the lower lip but it's the space between there and the middle of the lower lip that is numb. I can feel my top lip just fine and the right side of my lower lip is fine too. The lower right side of my chin is a tad numb but I probably feel about 85-90% of what I'm supposed to so I don't worry about that at all. I'll ask the surgeon exactly what he did with the nerve that runs thru there when I see him on Wednesday. I think I still have some swelling but I can't tell. I probably do because when my face is at rest I feel pressure on the outer area of my chin/lower cheek area. It's like I have something in there like a gauze. It's only been a week so I have plenty of time to go. When I put my hands against my face in that area it is slightly tender but feels kind of firm. I do get the tingles in the lip and the chin area so I'm hoping that it's a good sign. I also get those tickles in the numb area that you just can't get too. It kind of makes my laugh. I went and purchased a heating pad for the swelling. The doctor said it was a good idea and it feels good. When I remove it I can feel the tingles in the numb area start up a little more frequently. That's just me though. Positive thoughts are good for healing and everything else for that matter. All in all it's not that bad with the exception of the numbness but I knew the risks and rewards. It's really early in the healing process so I have faith that I will get most if not all of my feeling back just like others have.

That's all for now. Good luck to those whose surgery is coming up and continued recovery for those who've had it done.

Here is the link to my pics. Hope it works!!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/decortho/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/decortho/

FuzzyPants

#2 Post by FuzzyPants »

Congratulations! Your swelling has come down a lot from day three. I agree with Meryaten about mashing up food. You have a good range of motion in your jaws so it should be easy to get some different types of food in there. It is also so much easier to eat when you can feel your lips! Count yourself as one of the lucky ones. :D
Braced October 17, 2007
BSSO and Lefort August 13, 2008
De-braced November 24, 2008

gatorseh

#3 Post by gatorseh »

I was numb up through the 7 - 9 week mark. It's funny to me to see so many people immediately after post-op worrying. It took me a while to get it all back (basically the left side of my face from the eye down was numb) and I did. Just be patient!

Figamentation

#4 Post by Figamentation »

Looks great, I'm so jealous of everyone on this board as I seem to be more swollen than all...although someone told me it's not as visible in pictures? Regardless your results look good!

rty7186

#5 Post by rty7186 »

Thanks for the comments people. I guess I should shave to get a better idea of my profile. I took two weeks off of work and rather enjoy not shaving but it's time. I'll take new pics and update the picture link later. Did anyone else get the swelling that was more on the inside of the cheeks/mouth rather than the outside? I can still see I have a little swelling on the outside but feel it more on the inside of the cheeks/mouth area. Thoughts?

bstndance

#6 Post by bstndance »

Lookin great!! It's great that you are already on a soft-food diet. I was on a liquid diet until day 7 and now I'm on a soft food (no chew) diet until at least day 21. (on day 14 now)

Numbness is part of the package. Mine is still there but very slowly coming back and I can tell it will be completely back eventually cause sometime i'll pinch a numb area and within a few seconds i feel the pain. :-) So that means something is working.