when did you first know 'orthognathic surgery' existed?.....

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

knockuout7788

when did you first know 'orthognathic surgery' existed?.....

#1 Post by knockuout7788 »

..................omg ok so when i was 17, i knew exactly what needed to be done but didnt know exactly how to find it... i went to many dentists and had braces twice to correct my overbite but none of that seem to work or know what they were talking about, so i was really frustrated/depressed and didnt know what to do and none of them never mention how bad my jaw was, so i was kind of confused. i knew exactly what needed to be done but couldnt find it. but then one night i was searching on the net and googled 'push overbite backwards' lol (can you even do that) anyway when i clicked the search button , i started seeing pictures and stuff of people online with the same problem as mine etc., i was like "that's it!' , but how do i explained all of this too the dentist?!! i kept looking around and there it said 'orthognathic'..it was hard to pronouce, everytime i would explained it to them they would look at me wierd. i still have trouble pronoucing the word..lol but i luckly, i found one that knew what i was talking about, and finding this place makes everything make sense even more, though too bad i didnt find it earlier instead of wasting time with braces twice, i mean i am now 25 and feel like my life could have been better during those early years! :lol: am i the only one who didnt know this kind of surgery existed?............................ :P

sauerkraut

Re: when did you first know 'orthognathic surgery' existed?.

#2 Post by sauerkraut »

knockuout7788 wrote:............. am i the only one who didnt know this kind of surgery existed?............................ :P

Nope; I'm with you :lol:

The ortho I saw in England wanted to pull yet more teeth to relieve the overcrowding in my mouth. Thankfully I didn't go ahead as I've learnt since it would have been a disaster. Admittedly that was over 10 years ago - - so perhaps SARPE wasn't as "routine" then as it is now :?:

When the orthos I consulted in Germany said my bite needed sorting out surgically I was surprised such a thing was possible, let alone necessary. I only went hunting for it on the net after they'd told me about it though. And landed here on this lovely forum :D

iBorg

#3 Post by iBorg »

I knew it first existed when my ortho first suggested it. I do wish it had existed and had been common thirty years ago when I first had braces. I know a woman who was seeing Dr. P and I kept on looking at her and thinking, "I never knew her overbite was THAT bad." Now I know its an overjet and she was getting prepared for surgery.

Mike
I wore braces (this time) for 1294 days or 3 years, 6 months and 17 days.
But who's counting?
Jaw Surgery June 1, 2009
Thanks for praying for me and thinking happy thoughts.

thisisme

#4 Post by thisisme »

I guess the very first time I heard about it was when I was in primary school, I was probably about 8/9 years old.
I told my friends I wanted braces and they said, "Hopefully they don't have to break your jaw!!"
I laughed, I thought it was a joke!
I went to the ortho for the first time at 15 years old and he suggested jaw surgery.
Now I'm here learning all I can!! :lol:

gatorseh

#5 Post by gatorseh »

When I got my first round of braces off at 15 my ortho told me I'd have to get jaw surgery eventually. Eight years later I finally did!

Figamentation

#6 Post by Figamentation »

I knew about it fairly early on, when I was 15 or so and about to get my braces...it was the third orthodontist we had gotten an opinion from and he was the one that DID NOT recommend surgery. So my mom went with him. Turns out I needed it all along as every other orthodontist I've ever seen since him has recommended the surgery....so as many here have stated, I'm on my second round of braces, just got my jaws done and entering the home stretch after all this time.