Just Had Surgery - A Few Question

This forum is for discussions relating to oral surgery for orthodontics.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Figamentation

Just Had Surgery - A Few Question

#1 Post by Figamentation »

I have been lurking here for months and only just now taking the plunge :) But all of your stories and advice have been very helpful!

I had a Class II overbite which resulted in my weak looking chin. I decided to go forward with surgery more for the functionality of closing my mouth properly, breathing and the long term hope that it would help my jaw pain from the compensation I had been doing for years and years. The aesthetics were only a bonus. Now, however it seems to be what I'm mostly concerned with of course! :)

Last week I had what my surgeon said was a "perfectly executed, well tolerated and no complications" upper and lower jaw surgery. My upper was raised about 4mm because of too much gum show and my lower was brought forward about 8mm. Because of a special insurance situation, my surgeon did not charge me for the surgery and thus the genio that usually needs to be done at the time of surgery is instead going to be determined at about 2 months post op to see if I really need it. It is then a relatively easy recovery with no hospital stay and a bandage on the chin for a week.

Thus far my recovery has been pretty okay (in the hospital for 3 days total, his policy even if there are no complications) however I fainted on Wednesday and I think it's because I'm not eating enough. I didn't fathom how difficult it would be to get food in there! However my Zip N Squeezes arrived today so I'm hoping I have better luck than with the syringe and tube. It was so frustrating and so much of the food just ended up in my cheek and not down my throat. As far as I know, I'm on 6 weeks of liquid until my soft chew so I better get used to this.

A few questions that I have-

1. The swelling, ugh! I knew it was going to be bad, but I had no idea how much so. I purchased a recliner to sleep in for the recovery - does anyone have any other suggestions to help alleviate it some? It seems to fluctuate a lot already based on how much talking, eating and other things I do.

2. Pill consumption. I am on thyroid medicine and high blood pressure pills. I am currently crushing them and mixing them with a bit of water, but the blood pressure meds don't seem to be working as well. Anyone have any advice on getting these down as much as possible?

3. Driving. My doctor wanted me to wait 2 weeks to drive...does this seem excessive or in line with what you had experienced?

4. Coughing. It's the worst. I feel like my jaw is ripping out of my skull when I choke on something, which unfortunately the liquid ibuprofen I am taking for pain seems to make me do every time I take it...I seem to be extremely sensitive to the taste since the surgery. Is this something I need to be concerned with? If I cough once I'm in the bathroom staring at my bite to see if the bands have moved or my bite if off now or what. It scares me to death.

I'm sure I'll think of more questions, but this is a good start! :)

Figamentation

#2 Post by Figamentation »

Oh I thought of another - I know the nose is affected by the swelling and repositioning of the upper jaw, but my cute little button nose is a little more upturned than it was and I'm wondering what everyone else's experience was with how their nose turned out and how long til it shaped out after the surgery.

ohmyjaw

#3 Post by ohmyjaw »

I was wired shut for 10 days so I can sympathize with the food troubles. The Zip ans Squeeze will help. Try to get as much bang for your buck by eating things that have a lot of calories and protein. Since eating is probably very frustrating and tiring right now, try eating small portions more frequently, and take it really slowly. Some things that blend well and fit through small spaces are soft tofu, refried beans, pudding, ice cream, cous cous, and creamy soups. Dilute with liquid until its thin enough to get through. Avoid anything stringy. Most vegetables, even when blended, tend to clog up the spaces between your teeth. Also, you may to drink some prune juice or a fibre supplement.

Figamentation

#4 Post by Figamentation »

I am banded very tightly and in a myriad of places so I can't take pills. I've just continued crushing them and trying to get it as much of it through with water as possible.

Eating has gotten easier, but just as soon as I get confident about how smoothly it's going I end up with a lap full of soup because I was trying to go too quickly. But I just ordered more zip n squeeze because I received confirmation from my surgeon that I will be tightly banded for the entire six weeks so no relief from that. Still, it's going better.

The swelling isn't going down nearly as much as I had hoped. My nose looks too wide and my upper face and around my jaw is still really puffy. The breakout of acne has also begun so I've got zits all around my mouth so I'm not feeling exactly my most glamorous right now.

On the plus side my surgeon and my orthodontist seem extremely pleased, they said it came out as ideal as they could have hoped and I probably won't even need the chin done (glad we didn't do it initially). I just can't muster their enthusiasm for my looks. Granted, it's been only 2 weeks but I had hoped to be more presentable by now.